Bus passes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jon Lucas

Bus passes

Post by Jon Lucas »

This is a thread for the older members of the forum like myself.

I got my bus pass last November (when I was 62 years and 4 months old precisely :D ), so have had it for over half a year now. My partner, who is younger than me so does not have a bus pass yet, thinks it has stopped me cycling. She is wrong, it hasn't (though I have had some health concerns in the last 2 years which have limited my cycling quite a bit).

However, she does have a point, in that I've found that the temptation to jump on a bus (we live on a bus route with a bus stop very close by) to do short journeys into town is sometimes too much to resist, so that I certainly cycle these less than I used to when I didn't have the option of a free bus ride.

So wondered whether others here have found the same?
al_yrpal

Re: Bus passes

Post by al_yrpal »

I use the bus most of the time to get to the local town. I hardly ever go by bike its just two awful on really busy narrow roads. The bus is totally free and quicker too. The bike is also a nuisance, as is the necessary clothing and I am always worried about leaving it on bike racks. I prefer cycling along quiet leafy lanes.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

al_yrpal wrote:...The bike is also a nuisance, as is the necessary clothing...
Necessary clothing? Cycle clips and a pair of mitts that much of a nuisance ? (In comparison with walking.) ;)
"42"
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I don't have a bus pass and have no plans to get myself one. The local bus service is so awkward, with lack of direct services to many places I might want to go - and furthermore I shy away from any excuse that might lead to me using the bike less. By all accounts that can only be a Good Thing, but I recognise that the demographic of this forum is a teeny bit biased! :roll:

At any rate, I can reach any place within about 5 miles of where I live, by bike quicker than by bus. I am one of the lucky ones with no serious health issues or injuries. So why forsake the saddle?

But I suppose my time will come... :?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
johncarnie

Post by johncarnie »

I've got a bus shelter just outside my house - trouble is the last bus was 10 years ago!
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

They very kindly gave us bus passes, problem is they haven't given us any buses. Nearest bus stop is 1.5 miles walk and then only a limited service into Worcester. If for any reason the return bus is missed it is a long wait for the next. Forget um, just use the bike instead. :D :D
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
sjs

Post by sjs »

I've got a few years to go yet. But when I do get one I've been wondering whether it might be interesting to try touring by local bus services. Not instead of by bike, you understand, but as well as. Might even be able to get my wife to come.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

squeaker wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:...The bike is also a nuisance, as is the necessary clothing...
Necessary clothing? Cycle clips and a pair of mitts that much of a nuisance ? (In comparison with walking.) ;)

Cycle clips? I haven't used a pair since the '80s. Socks work just fine, and you never forget them.

Mitts? Luckily I don't suffer from cold hands. I seldom wear gloves skiing, so never on a bike.

Even fewer things necessary :)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

One of the few good reasons to live in London is the Freedom Pass. Allows you to use not only the buses but the tube and main line trains thru out London to the outskirts. And you can take your bikes on the trains, not during rush hour unless folded. So the pass is a most valuable document, makes me happy to think of the sleepless nights I am causing Osborne :D , I can get out as far as Dartford in the east Eppping or Watford North and nearly Epsom or Caterham in the south and without it there would be no Crane Valley or Hillingdon adventures in the West. Has been a god send to extend my cycling as how many times do you want to cycle thru Brixton? Londoners in general are better off as they can get one at 60 rather than 62 thankyou Boris, the only good thing u ever did. It is true you can use the pass bus in other locales? Eg I can use mine down in Brighton? or Manchester? There was a story I heard some where of a guy who did a trip using local buses and his pass only upto Scotland. All u really need is a Brompton touring for oldies becomes easy? No real fun in churning thru the miles between towns most of the time?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

When we go to London we often stay in the Covent Garden Travelodge. A brilliant central inexpensive place to stay. The bus pass gets hammered in preference to the Tube which you have to pay for. Now I have a Brompton I am looking forward to getting around on that too as soon as my arm gets better.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

In answer to mercalia, the English bus pass you can get in your 60s allows you free travel throughout England, so you can reach the Scottish and Welsh borders from the south and east coast if you wish to (and just over the border on some journeys, e.g. Bristol to Chepstow and Newport).

For those not yet of that age, the age you receive it is rising every month, so you will soon need to be 63 and on present plans it will continue rising every year for a while yet.

Taking Bromptons on buses isn't always easy (some drivers frown on you, especially if the bus is crowded) but it does open up numerous possibilities. I replaced my old Brompton last year with a newer version and now use it as my main bike.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I've had a bus pass three years. It has replaced some cycle trips but only in extreme weather. What it has done though is I've never driven to Glasgow since.
The journey is an hour in the car then you've to pay to park and hassle of city driving. Bus journey is one hour 20 and you are chauffeured into the centre with free wifi all for free. Which would you choose?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Paulatic wrote:I've had a bus pass three years. It has replaced some cycle trips but only in extreme weather. What it has done though is I've never driven to Glasgow since.
The journey is an hour in the car then you've to pay to park and hassle of city driving. Bus journey is one hour 20 and you are chauffeured into the centre with free wifi all for free. Which would you choose?

I see u live a good life :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mustn't Grumble [emoji1]
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've had my bus pass for a couple of years now. To be honest ive only used it a few times, as i usually drive into town with mrs rjb who doesnt qualify for hers until the end of next year. When she gets hers we plan to use them a bit more frequently for day trips etc but will still use the car for the main grocery shop. Officially the bus pass can only be used during off peak times, down here in Somerset thats 9.00am - 11.00pm and if like us you live in a rural location bus services can stop at 6pm and not run on sundays. BTW Can people who live outside of London get a freedom pass?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D