Joda Driver

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Paulatic

Joda Driver

Post by Paulatic »

This is very scary. What could the cyclist do?
http://youtu.be/Ia_sJTqgQ-s
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
TonyR

Re: Joda Driver

Post by TonyR »

Slow down to a speed where the associated stopping distance for the truck is less than the gap. The only problem in this case is staying balanced on the bike for the speed appropriate to that gap.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Blimey, that looks close in the video, though it's not really easy to assess how close it was in real life. At least the cyclist apparently comes out of it unscathed.

Did you know what the word "joda" means in Spanish? Astonishing that a freight company should be using that name....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I've just googled it, lol
Living up to its name then.

E2E info
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Surely there is a case for Police involvement, even if the cyclist did/does not make any type of complaint. If the truck driver claims that he did not know the cyclist was only a couple of inches off his front bumper, well that is one thing. But if he gives indication that he knew the cyclist was there well then he should be on a charge.
I should coco.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I suppose the cyclist could duck, not sure how much of the cyclist the driver would be able to see, maybe just his head, so ducking would hopefully cause the truck driver to slam on his brakes. Pity none of the car drivers anywhere are beeping at the truck driver. Think the truck driver definitely knows what he's doing.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It's absolutely clear that he does, else he'd have run over the top of the cyclist...

No doubt at all...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

That IMHO is a clear case of intimidation.
AndyBSG

Post by AndyBSG »

The companies E-mail address is info@jodafreight.co.uk for anyone that wants to draw their attention to this quite frankly disgusting driving as I have.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Different lorry so they've got at least two top class drivers.

E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AndyBSG wrote:The companies E-mail address is info@jodafreight.co.uk for anyone that wants to draw their attention to this quite frankly disgusting driving as I have.

I emailed them some years ago and received no reply.

FWIW, it was to congratulate - with no irony, let me say - one of their drivers for the careful and considerate way he waited before overtaking me and then giving me a wide berth. Credit where it's due.
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 190&type=1

I came across this picture of a Joda.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Valbrona wrote:Surely there is a case for Police involvement,

This was discussed a length on Twitter. One user reported it and North Yorkshire police did visit Joda and reported back to the person who made the complaint. He has tweeted that he is satisfied with the outcome.
GrumpyGit

Post by GrumpyGit »

London Bus drivers frequently tailgate cyclists. They have no thought of leaving a safe stopping distance should the cyclist be unseated by a pothole etc.

If I ran the country tailgating would result in immediate revocation of the drivers licence. This penalty would also apply to phone users and road ragers. I'd soon reduce the traffic levels on our streets!!
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)