Help settle an argument

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mark1978

Help settle an argument

Post by Mark1978 »

A cyclist hating friend of mine shared this video

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedPompey/ ... 0/?fref=nf

Using it as an example of why cyclists are stupid / shouldn't be on the road etc because he moved 'out of the lane'

My reply was that his road positioning was entirely reasonable through the island and the car driver had no right to beep at him.

What's the thoughts of the assembled panel here?

Note I'm not talking about the falling off; which was entirely the cyclists own doing, but was the car driver right to beep?
Last edited by Mark1978 on 9 Jun 2015, 2:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
yakdiver

Re: Help settle an argument

Post by yakdiver »

Cyclists fault, did he look over his shoulder or mirror before over taking ? I doubt it and more concerned about giving the Vs to the driver and not looking where he is going and all this equal to a “prat on a bike with a camera”
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

The cyclist needs to learn to look behind more frequently; in this case, before setting off, before the end of the bus (?) lane and (in relation to the incident) before moving out to overtake. Of course it would be nice if every driver overtook like the truck did, but they see you in a lane and will not expect you to leave it without signaling.

Personally I would have been cycling outside that gutter lane anyway - and keeping a check on what was happening behind.

Fall was just proof that cyclist has had no practice in looking behind whilst maintaining a proper course.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I agree with others, didn't look behind enough. I look behind and take the centre of the car lane through traffic restrictions.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

what a T%$!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Does your friend also think motorists shouldn't be on the road because some of them drive badly and are the cause of lots of deaths and injury too?

No.

So don't bother arguing with him. He's not concerned with safety, he's just another anti-cyclist who probably hates his daily motoring misery and wants cyclists as scapegoats.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Seems like a wobbly, inexperienced cyclist with no road sense. He starts off wobbling in the gutter, apparently not confident that he has space or time to pull out, then his overtaking is sudden and too late. If he thought he was about to pass another rider he should have been out long before, having first checked he had a space to move into. He rides like someone who did not ride as a child and has a lot of catching up to do.
robing

Post by robing »

The horn is to warn other road users of their presence. Since the cyclist pulled out to overtake the other cyclist without looking behind, then the car was justified in using his horn.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

robing wrote:The horn is to warn other road users of their presence. Since the cyclist pulled out to overtake the other cyclist without looking behind, then the car was justified in using his horn.

Putting myself in the drivers seat (and looking at timings) I'd say he wasn't.

I'm coming up on two cyclists, one is already further out than the other and obviously moving faster. To compound this I see the bollards on the right.
What should I do?

Answer: hang back and wait until it's safe to pass.

Cyclist is an (amusing) idiot but the driver needs to retake their test.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I think Kwackers is being a bit harsh on the driver. I agree that the horn was too late to be a warning and must therefore have been a protest. That is misuse of the horn. But given the ragged cycling going on I can understand the driver momentarily feeling peeved and, probably, regretting the use of the horn after a little thought.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

kwackers wrote:Cyclist is an (amusing) idiot but the driver needs to retake their test.

Agreed (and the reasoning). Cyclist being untrained and incompetent endangers no-one but him/herself (and anyone daft enough to think of imitating him/her). Driver is supposedly trained to one of the better standards in the world ( :cry: ) and is on the road under licence (revocable permission within a rule-set rather than freedom to behave without rules). Driver therefore should have been able to predict what was about to happen and adjust speed accordingly to maintain safety.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I'd say that while someone beeping their horn at a cyclist who's on the move can startle the cyclist and possibly cause said cyclist to lose balance and fall off, the driver in this case had every right to blare their horn.
He moved out of his lane without first checking it was safe to do so or signalling his intentions. He's lucky it wasn't a 40 ton hgv coming up from behind or we might have been reading about another dead cyclist.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
robing

Post by robing »

You have to wonder why you would upload this footage which makes you look a complete **** and unable to ride a bike properly. Also, the other cyclist who was overtaken just carries on and ignores him! :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:Putting myself in the drivers seat (and looking at timings) I'd say he wasn't.

I'm coming up on two cyclists, one is already further out than the other and obviously moving faster. To compound this I see the bollards on the right.
What should I do?

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

reohn2 wrote:
kwackers wrote:

+1

+2

Too many numpty drivers want to try to overtake in a road narrowing when there's nowhere near enough room to obey Highway Code Rule 163
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1433876944.087047.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1433876944.087047.jpg (21.91 KiB) Viewed 5158 times