Invisible wearing Blue & Green!!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cunobelin

Re: Invisible wearing Blue & Green!!

Post by Cunobelin »

What you really need is a trailer with a wardrobe

That way you can find the correct colour of clothing to contrast with your immediate surroundings.

Shame that you will have to stop and change your clothes every few hundred yards
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:
mercalia wrote:and why werent u wearing hiviz? blue/green is a lo contrast colour against many backgrounds.

So is HiViz!

yes in Piccadilly Circus , but many jackets also have the reflective strips
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Cunobelin wrote:What you really need is a trailer with a wardrobe

That way you can find the correct colour of clothing to contrast with your immediate surroundings.

Shame that you will have to stop and change your clothes every few hundred yards

[emoji23] Like your thought process. It's good to lighten the mood. Man it gets heavy on here sometimes...b
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Yeah, if don't wear X colour people can't see you :roll: ...complete hokum, why not actually look properly, it's not difficult, no really it isn't, BTW a cursory glance doesn't count.
You can't even see the colours until closer BUT you can see a cyclist/person.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8pX52v ... L4CF7hf0Tg
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Great vid, needs posting on driving sites! I think what you've proved is simply that you were concetrating, that's all it really takes. I know I learnt to drive a long time ago, but, it was always hammered into us to be able stop in the distance you see to be clear, also helpfully, imagine you meet yourself coming the other way. I just don't get the attitude today, that you can drive exactly as you want and damn the consequences. Is it 'cos I'm worth it? (and nobody else is?)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tonyf33
Great video!
Why isn't that,and others like it,used as public information films on prime time TV,with a warning of the consequences for drivers ?
Seems like a reasonable campaign for the CTC to push for.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Phil Fouracre wrote: I just don't get the attitude today, that you can drive exactly as you want and damn the consequences. Is it 'cos I'm worth it? (and nobody else is?)

No,it's because there are no consequences!
And no one else matters but ME!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
mercalia wrote:and why werent u wearing hiviz? blue/green is a lo contrast colour against many backgrounds.

So is HiViz!

yes in Piccadilly Circus , but many jackets also have the reflective strips

Many bikes also have reflective bits on, called reflectors, so isn't it redundant on the jacket?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

It's not my video, just to be clear, think he frequents the forums though. I think I found it from a link possibly even on here originally.
gaz

Post by gaz »

mjr wrote:... so isn't it redundant on the jacket?

A hi-vis jacket must have retro-reflectives to conform with EN1150:1999, the minimum standard for hi-vis. Without reflectives it's just a jacket, regardless of what colour dye has been used in its manufacture :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mjr

Post by mjr »

gaz wrote:
mjr wrote:... so isn't it redundant on the jacket?

A hi-vis jacket must have retro-reflectives to conform with EN1150:1999, the minimum standard for hi-vis. Without reflectives it's just a jacket, regardless of what colour dye has been used in its manufacture :wink: .

Point <----------------------> gaz, but never mind: the bike already has reflective surfaces on it. If someone is going to see it, it doesn't matter if it's on the bike or the rider... so put it on the bike and wear whatever you like.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I suppose none of us can really know exactly what that driver saw and why he had such difficulty making out that it was a cyclist he was approaching. Our vision, including the part of it that goes on in our brains rather than in our eyes, is a fascinating and complex area. I wonder if dappled sunshine under trees could have played a part? That is very good at breaking up shapes and, effectively, camouflaging.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Great video - it should be on prime time tv.

Back to the OP. I was driving in a slow moving Saturday train of cars on an A-road in Cambridgeshire. Up ahead in the far distance I saw a yellow box, about 18" x 18", on my side of the road. SPEED CAMERA was my immediate thought - even though I was plodding along in a queue of cars well under the limit.

As I got closer I saw it was a cyclist with a large box squeezed into his yellow rucksack.

It seems if you want to get drivers' instant attention you need to dress as a Traffic Safety Camera.
Tizme

Post by Tizme »

I got home this morning, strangely at 0700 in the morning everyone who passed me manged to see me, perhaps my invisibility cloak had worn off, and had a quick look at my headcam footage. The lad was not in a group of cars, he overtook as 4 cars approached and for some reason, despite not seeing me, his offside wheels were straddling the white line in the middle of the road, why, if he didn't know I was there? In his conversation with me he failed to mention he also hadn't noticed my RED (with reflective silver circles) pannier on the offside of my bike, or the white banding around my black shorts (or my shockingly white legs for that matter), or the orange collar of my shirt, or the white 2" letters "RNAS YEOVILTON CYCLING CLUB" on the back of the shirt, or for that matter the White Ensign logo on my right sleeve. With that many colours on, surely I can be seen? But of course, none of those are Hi-Viz :roll: I cannot find any logic in his reasoning that if I had had my rear cateye light on he would then have instantly noticed me and not driven passed me at 50mph!!

I think he saw a 5'6", 9 1/2 stone cyclist and thought, youngster, I'll impress my girlfriend with my compassion for other road users and just give him some friendly advice :) Shame it turned out to be a very grumpy 58 year old who regularly cycles over 100 miles a week (and who has also been driving for 40 years and was qualified to drive vehicles up to LGV C+E, regularly received continuation/snow & ice/skid pan and evasive/high speed driver training).
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Tonyf33 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8pX52v_yNA&index=68&list=LLxh0QwWxK6TvHL4CF7hf0Tg

Did a double take on that video - thought one of the cyclists heading down towards Ladybower was me.

Sorry, off topic.