CUI

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thelawnet

Re: CUI

Post by thelawnet »

AlaninWales wrote:
thelawnet wrote:Just spotted an elderly gent attempt to cycle home, he had a bottle of wine in a carrier bag under his rack, it fell off, didn't break (not sure if that was a good thing or not), and then he tried to work out what was happened managed to recover it and tuck it back under the rack. Eventually managed to cycle off before cycling across a three-lane dual carriageway across traffic, I think he might have misinterpreted someone's signal, wobbled onto the pavement and then into the road on the opposite side.

At least he had rear light on.

Excellent, exactly the type of cyclist who needs to be encouraged (and catered for) if cycling is ever to be more than of minority (usually sporting) interest.

I agree mostly, though I did think (a) hmm, I hope he is not a Charles Kennedy type drinking himself to death and (b) I wonder if he is going to get hit by a car (this seemed fairly likely).
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

I've probably done it myself a couple of times. I had a memorable day at Royal Ascot last year, full hospitality champagne on top, and of course I cycled there, because I don't like changing trains multiple times when cycling is quicker.

Cycled the 10 miles home after a good quantity of bubbly and basically went straight to bed.

I felt just fine, while cycling home, but I wouldn't like to say for certain if my perceptions of my competence were distant from reality.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

At least cycling (on two wheels) is somewhat self limiting...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

[XAP]Bob wrote:At least cycling (on two wheels) is somewhat self limiting...

There is always the time when you find that limit though. Mine involved being confused by steps appearing on a cycle path that I had used many times. I had missed the turn for the cycle path and gone up a nearby garden path which was narrower and different materials... :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ron

Post by Ron »

AlaninWales wrote:Excellent, exactly the type of cyclist who needs to be encouraged (and catered for) if cycling is ever to be more than of minority (usually sporting) interest.

Indeed, this guy sounds like a real cyclist.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

thelawnet wrote:I agree mostly, though I did think (a) hmm, I hope he is not a Charles Kennedy type drinking himself to death and (b) I wonder if he is going to get hit by a car (this seemed fairly likely).

Getting hit is not something he can readily control - it is a passive voice, quite rightly.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

OP, what test did you do to come to the factual conclusion the person cycling was under the influence?
You further went on to describe how he negotiated several lanes of traffic without being struck or falling over/crashing.

Was the assumption he was under the influence, AKA, drunk based upon the fact he was carrying a bottle of wine and/or in such a way you took offence to or just couldn't work out how he was able to cycle home with it?

I'm totally failing to see the point of your thread TBH?
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Cripes! Does there have to be a point or documented proof to everything on this forum? It is Sunday so we should be relaxing. I'm sometimes amazed at the warfare that goes on here for no apparent reason. That to me is pointless.

Sometimes it's ok to have some fun. Life is serious enough as it is.

I'm off to find a bottle of beer...b
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Cripes! Does there have to be a point or documented proof to everything on this forum? It is Sunday so we should be relaxing. I'm sometimes amazed at the warfare that goes on here for no apparent reason. That to me is pointless.

Sometimes it's ok to have some fun. Life is serious enough as it is.

I'm off to find a bottle of beer...b

There doesn't have to be documented proof of anything, but as this is a forum I'm asking what's the problem, what's the point of the thread relating to cycling, why does there have to be a reason for anyone to ask that on a forum right?

The OPs description/title throws out that this old man was pished and/or a danger to himself through his action of crossing (successfully mind) a 3 lane carriageway and carrying a bottle of wine in a way he couldn't fathom.
Again, what made the OP think the cyclist was pished & what is the point of the thread?
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Yup ok. I never did find that bottle of beer sadly.

An old man I spoke to this morning said, "I'm a grumpy old basket and I'm only going to get grumpier." I hope it doesn't happen to me. I'll settle for a cup of coffee...b
mjr

Post by mjr »

To avoid it, keep cycling to go look at lovely things :)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Tonyf33 wrote:OP, what test did you do to come to the factual conclusion the person cycling was under the influence?

Er, what?

It was obvious to anyone over the age of about 12 that he was very drunk, based on factors such as his bewilderment and reactions when his wine fell off, the way he wobbled when on the pavement, the way he cycled in front of traffic ignoring the toucan crossing, and other aspects of his demeanour.

You further went on to describe how he negotiated several lanes of traffic without being struck or falling over/crashing.

As much by luck/the forbearance of others as his own judgement.

Was the assumption he was under the influence, AKA, drunk based upon the fact he was carrying a bottle of wine and/or in such a way you took offence to or just couldn't work out how he was able to cycle home with it?

No not particularly. Although I suppose if he had been carrying, say, a stack of library books, then that would perhaps have been a contradicting indicator, rather than a reinforcing one.

I'm totally failing to see the point of your thread TBH?

That's nice.