CUI

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thelawnet

CUI

Post by thelawnet »

Just spotted an elderly gent attempt to cycle home, he had a bottle of wine in a carrier bag under his rack, it fell off, didn't break (not sure if that was a good thing or not), and then he tried to work out what was happened managed to recover it and tuck it back under the rack. Eventually managed to cycle off before cycling across a three-lane dual carriageway across traffic, I think he might have misinterpreted someone's signal, wobbled onto the pavement and then into the road on the opposite side.

At least he had rear light on.
mjr

Re: CUI

Post by mjr »

Under his rack? How?

After the stuff I've seen with people cycling willy-nilly across a 9-lane single-carriageway near me (they all lived), nothing much surprises me any more.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
beardy

Post by beardy »

He left his car at home, so I am happy enough.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

"CUI" ??
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

LollyKat wrote:"CUI" ??

I wondered that, but having read the post I'm guessing = cycling under influence. ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Was he wearing a h****t? Yes? That's all right then!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

cycleruk wrote:

I wondered that, but having read the post I'm guessing = cycling under influence. ?

Thanks - my first thought was Latin "who" and my second was a Russian composer, neither of which seemed to fit! :lol:
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

thelawnet wrote:Just spotted an elderly gent attempt to cycle home, he had a bottle of wine in a carrier bag under his rack, it fell off, didn't break (not sure if that was a good thing or not), and then he tried to work out what was happened managed to recover it and tuck it back under the rack. Eventually managed to cycle off before cycling across a three-lane dual carriageway across traffic, I think he might have misinterpreted someone's signal, wobbled onto the pavement and then into the road on the opposite side.

At least he had rear light on.

Excellent, exactly the type of cyclist who needs to be encouraged (and catered for) if cycling is ever to be more than of minority (usually sporting) interest.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

LollyKat wrote:
cycleruk wrote:

Thanks - my first thought was Latin "who" and my second was a Russian composer, neither of which seemed to fit! :lol:

Trying to think who the Russian composer you might be that you have in mind?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

César Cui - a little known 19th century composer who became one of 'The Five'. The other members were rather better known, they were Balakirev, Mussorgsky, Borodin and Rimsky-Korsakov.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ETzJUOXLo
Relax and enjoy!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

LollyKat wrote:Thanks - my first thought was Latin "who" and my second was a Russian composer, neither of which seemed to fit! :lol:

You didn't think of the Catholic University of Ireland? Or the Peruvian term for guinea pig (quwi in official Quechua orthography but usually rendered cuy or cui when served roast to tourists)?

I once took part in a performance a choral work by Cui in Cadogan Hall.

DUI is a common term for drunk driving in the US, so readers of modern US crime fiction would probably pick it up immediately.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

That's the way to do it.
That's the way to do it.
shopping..jpg (33.31 KiB) Viewed 734 times

:mrgreen:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I think I'd rather have a clip or a strap of some sort...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

661-Pete wrote:César Cui - a little known 19th century composer who became one of 'The Five'. The other members were rather better known, they were Balakirev, Mussorgsky, Borodin and Rimsky-Korsakov.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ETzJUOXLo
Relax and enjoy!

Thanks!

(From Glinka to horror movies: the unexpected links you can learn from Wikipedia!)
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

mjr wrote:Under his rack? How?

I'm not sure, and I bet he didn't either. But basically the plastic of the bag goes under the spring bit on the rack.