Dangerous Cycle Lane Surface When Wet ALERT NCN8

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
deliquium

Dangerous Cycle Lane Surface When Wet ALERT NCN8

Post by deliquium »

The Welsh Highland Railway lines cross the main road at this point. A recently introduced short length of cycle 'lane' has been painted green onto the existing road surface, before diverting off the main road at 90º (on to a footpath, some 1 meter wide often containing several coach loads of tourists).

Before this 'diversion' the 'lane' is shared with all traffic as the road is too narrow for it to be a separate facility.

But after riding on it yesterday for the first time in the wet, it appears to be painted with the same semi shiny material as used for white and yellow lines and is extremely dangerous to use any brakes whilst unavoidably having to use the 'lane'. I applied only a back brake at less than 5mph to slow for a bus in front of me and my back wheel locked and skidded.

I've reported the problem online to Gwynedd County Council - where one can only use 250 words to describe this potentially disastrous problem!

Are there any other avenues to pursue or suggestions?

I hope nobody has to use a front brake when this surface is wet!
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Flinders

Re: Dangerous Cycle Lane Surface When Wet ALERT NCN8

Post by Flinders »

I could describe that situation very accurately in a few words, but they might be caught by a filter for rude language.

Those right angle turns onto pavements and off pavements, sometimes with ribbed sets which are hell to cross at a shallow angle, would only be useful if we could force those people designing then to use them in wet weather when A&E were short of business and we could all watch and have a good laugh.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Having seen the new road / rail / cycle route layout at that junction, with very little room for the designer to play with, I cannot see how it could have been done any better. The trains actually have to travel down the road a short distance, so a standard level crossing is not possible. As for the road paint, it sounds like the sandy component is lacking, so notifying the Highways Authority is the right first step.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Isn't this part of the National To-Hell-With-Cyclists Campaign?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

I notified Cyngor Gwynedd online. They responded very quickly by telephone to explain that the A497 road between the 2 STOP signs at the level crossing is a length of 'unadopted road'* and it was the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways who had the 'cycle lane' road markings and surfacing done.

When I asked if Cyngor Gwynedd would have used a smooth paint for a cycle lane, the answer was no. They are passing on my warning and concern to the F&WHR.

*There are two strips of green shiny painted 'cycle lanes', one before the crossing and one after. The section before isn't on the 'unadopted road section' - if the highways engineer explained it correctly.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If you haven't already done so, please discuss this with your local campaigner http://www.ctc.org.uk/local-campaigners/map
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Vorpal wrote:If you haven't already done so, please discuss this with your local campaigner http://www.ctc.org.uk/local-campaigners/map

Thanks for that advice and information.
Current pedalable joys

Flinders

Post by Flinders »

deliquium wrote:I notified Cyngor Gwynedd online. They responded very quickly by telephone to explain that the A497 road between the 2 STOP signs at the level crossing is a length of 'unadopted road'* and it was the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways who had the 'cycle lane' road markings and surfacing done.

When I asked if Cyngor Gwynedd would have used a smooth paint for a cycle lane, the answer was no. They are passing on my warning and concern to the F&WHR.

*There are two strips of green shiny painted 'cycle lanes', one before the crossing and one after. The section before isn't on the 'unadopted road section' - if the highways engineer explained it correctly.

Sounds like Cyngor Gwynedd have been very responsive, so top marks to them.