Dodgy Dutch Bicycle Roundabout

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
toomsie

Dodgy Dutch Bicycle Roundabout

Post by toomsie »

On the way to Pimlico From Battersea car boot sale I passed the redone roundabout at the corner of Battersea Park. It looks like a roundabout that you would see in the Netherlands. It has a separate isolated bike lanes around the perimeter. It looks kind of complicated regarding who has priority. I am a cowardly( but fast) cyclist generally I decided that I aint using that cycle lane. I have got used to roundabout in the normal way.

Link http://thinkinghighways.com/road-users- ... from-cars/

Cant seem to post an image on this site.
mjr

Re: Dodgy Dutch Bicycle Roundabout

Post by mjr »

The picture on that linked article is nothing like Dutch or what you'd see in the Netherlands:
[youtube]q664_GjTyoE[/youtube]

It's hard to know where to start with the problems in the pictures: the lack of barriers between most of the cycleway and carriageway, the stupid angles that both parties are having to look at some of the intersections, the "give way" markings missing from some entrances, the proliferation of signals, the one-way cycleway, ...

Is that what they've actually built? Double-Dutch, perhaps!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Hmmm.

I wonder what the comparative traffic levels of the two junctions are?

F
toomsie

Post by toomsie »

ferdinand wrote:Hmmm.

I wonder what the comparative traffic levels of the two junctions are?

F

If there is traffic at roundabout then I might consider using the bike lanes.