Problems I never knew needed solving

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thelawnet

Problems I never knew needed solving

Post by thelawnet »

After several years of very happily riding a 20kg+ 700x47 monster, I've just acquired a 8.9kg bike with 700x23 tyres.

And suddenly I have some insight into some of the cycling problems I had previously dismissed as non-issues - painful vibration through the handlebars on any surface other than perfectly smooth tarmac- looks like I need to buy some padded gloves; sore backside from the frame/saddle transmitting all the same road issues - need to get some padded shorts; lack of stability on slippery surfaces/cornering/going down hill - best buy myself a helmet; lack of appropriate shoes for the pedals.

The review for the bike insists that it is 'relaxed', 'comfortable' and that the 'frame and the fork do a good job of filtering out vibration and chatter from uneven roads.' I assume that all of these qualities are relative.

Apparently it's a practical choice - practical if you count the lack of possibility for mudguards, panniers, or even carrying a lock lest you compromise its 'every gram less costs a pound more' weight properties, and then fear of it getting nicked if you leave it out in public.

But maybe I will grow to love it, once I am appropriately shod, clad, and am used to the riding position.
mjr

Re: Problems I never knew needed solving

Post by mjr »

So... why did you buy it then? :shock:

I've gone the other way, from a racer to an urban hybrid and now a 26x1⅜" roadster... :cool:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

mjr wrote:So... why did you buy it then? :shock:

I didn't! It was a gift.
JenniferAdcock

Post by JenniferAdcock »

Change the tyres and inner tubes. Depending on the frame size you will be able to get away with at least a 25mm tyre, perhaps even a 28mm. That will give you a more relaxed ride.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Schwalbe 28mm Marathons ... Total comfort on any frame ..and no punctures. On and off road grip. Top kit.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

landsurfer wrote:Schwalbe 28mm Marathons ... Total comfort on any frame ..and no punctures. On and off road grip. Top kit.

very heavyweight tyres,the carcass is too stiff for a comfortable ride and for cornering IMO, rolling resistance is shocking, really only benficial if puncture protection is your ultimate goal.
There are far better tyres out there to my mind
mjr

Post by mjr »

Wasn't there a rolling resistance test which showed Marathons are pretty good? Don't confuse them with M+
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

I use folding four seasons a comfortable puncture resistant tyre, easily fitted. though a tad expensive
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I had a lightweight carbon framed bike for a while and whilst it was a revelation in what it meant to ride a bike that weighed nothing it did demonstrate comfort was a relative thing.

I simply rode it less and less until one day I brushed the cobwebs off and sold it.

Nothing beats a steel framed tourer (imo).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Tonyf33 wrote:very heavyweight tyres,the carcass is too stiff for a comfortable ride and for cornering IMO, rolling resistance is shocking, really only benficial if puncture protection is your ultimate goal.

I'm currently using a pair of marathons which I bought since they seemed to be highly recommended. I can't wait until they're finally relegated to the bin. Worst tyres I've ever ridden on.
Not even sure why I bought them - I never get punctures anyway!
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

kwackers wrote:
Tonyf33 wrote:very heavyweight tyres,the carcass is too stiff for a comfortable ride and for cornering IMO, rolling resistance is shocking, really only benficial if puncture protection is your ultimate goal.

I'm currently using a pair of marathons which I bought since they seemed to be highly recommended. I can't wait until they're finally relegated to the bin. Worst tyres I've ever ridden on.
Not even sure why I bought them - I never get punctures anyway!

You Might Now LOL
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

very strange the negative comments here about marathon tyres regarding comfort and rolling resitance :roll: . I dont rate the Kevlar puncture resistance of the old ones as the kevlar weave not fine enough to stop needle thin punctures ( ok for knives :lol: ) May be the nay sayers here are using too high a pressure? especially with the newer green guard ones. I think these need a lower pressure than the older kevlar ones. The ride with these is like using separate tyre liners in the kevlar ones , should I use them I lower the pressure by about 5-10psi
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Hmm. Shooting from the hip going on here about "Marathons", whatever that means.

Perhaps get yourself some Marathon Supreme 28mm tyres, which weigh 310g each at 700c size as a start. Cheaper than wearing the shorts and all the rest of the stuff. Or perhaps 32mm might be better.

Ferdinand
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I've ridden as good as nothing but 700x23s for the last 20 years (with a brief excursion into 700x18s in the 90s). It's mainly a matter of adapting. OK, you need the padded shorts & gloves, and my bars have gel plus tape, but I'm comfy enough on long rides. I did try a tourer a couple of years back, with 5cm Marathon Godknowswhats® on: it was so damned sluggish I couldn't stand it.

Current tyre of preference Conti GP4000 or 4 seasons.
Last edited by Audax67 on 26 May 2015, 10:17am, edited 1 time in total.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I have only had one road bike a 9.5kg steel one from 25 years ago. 700x23c and you did know about any bad road you hit. My commute on it was a nightmare and I used to have to true the wheels every other week too.

Got a heavy hybrid with front suspension for those commutes and it was ok. Then I got a carbon forked gravel bike (london road from Planet X) and with the 700x37c tyres I find it at least as comfortable on the same commute as my fat tyred, front suspensioned hybrid bike. I know take it off road too.

IMHO I wish all those years back to have switched to 28s or at least 25s. IMHO there is no need for 23s unless you race but even then I think the elites re switching to 25s as well.

I do believe in gel mitts as a cheap fix for road buzz from the forks. I got a good pair of specialized ones after a broken hand made riding painful. Since getting the 700x37 wheels I no longer need them. Fatter tyres at a lower pressure work for comfort IME.