Is a cadence sensor worth it?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
easyroller

Re: Is a cadence sensor worth it?

Post by easyroller »

I have a cadence sensor.

It hasn't change my life and I don't have it showing on most rides, but it's another interesting piece of information to look at after your ride when you download the data. My average cadence is almost always between 85 and 95 RPM over most rides. The only time I've ever used cadence for training has been the odd turbo session when it's been to work on low or high cadence drills.

For £12 it'll be a nice thing to have, even if you don't use or analyse it much. :)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Earlier in this thread I was going to post that I would not have spent the extra.

But out today I was wondering and think it depends on you. I started cycling around 18 months ago and I suspect my cadence has gradually increased as I got more used to riding (my muscles adapted a bit). I don't have a cadence monitor but do tend to record a lot (most rides: distance, av speed, altitude gain/loss (except that seems to depend a lot on your sensors/software/mapping), weather conditions, track, etc.).

When I started I was a "grinder" and really could not "spin" even if I tried (think/hope I got the terms right). And thinking, it would be interesting to see if my suspicions about my cadence slight increase were correct and I would spend £12 to have that data. However, in my case my cycle computer is a decent basic model so to get cadence I suspect it would be somewhat more than £12 extra as I would have to move-up to a higher end model (and I've found wireless models all useless and I've tried a few !!). So it would cost me a bit more than £12.

So, for me and if you are a recording data type of person, the earlier you start recording your data, the more interesting and more useful it can be.

And I'm somebody who has cycling knee issues (and ankle issues now as well, though I wonder if that might not be cycling caused).

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

You can (ab)use a normal cheap speedo by configuring a specific wheel diameter (aim for 10rpm=1mph)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

My cycling has got much more efficient and as a result I've got faster by keeping an eye on my cadence while riding. Previously on hills I'd tried to keep it in the big rig and grind up which wasn't really helping so I've concentrated on keeping a constant cadence instead at as big an effort as I can manage.

I don't actually have a cadence sensor* but I've learned to know what cadence range I'm in without one.

* I actually do have a sensor but I don't have a head unit to show it while riding. I can see the results on my phone after the ride.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

Swear by them. Multiple knee surgeries (both knees), need a good cadence. Use mine most when training and racing (Tris/TTs). Ideal cadence at threshold Heart Rate (from my HRM) = best I can do...

My "natural" cadence is 93rpm. No idea why, that's where it feels right.

I use a cateye astrale to measure mine with rear wheel speed / distance sensor and cadence. I have 3 of them across the bikes (don;t have one on the MTB...) they're all 20+ years old. One has a cracked screen and leaks water from a crash many years ago - cling film wrap cures it and allows perfect visibility.
nez

Post by nez »

I did a health appraisal thingy at work and they asked me to pedal a stationary bike at 55 rpm. I found it very difficult - my natural cadence is much higher (but what I dunno). The guy administering the test said regular cyclists found turning the cranks so slowly difficult.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

He's not tested me then!

Out the other day along the riverside road down in the Bere Peninsula, there's a long level bit along the River Tamar. Very pretty area - sea birds, wild flowers, boats etc. :D

Along there, I always take my time circa 7 or 8 mph, but in top gear 115". Very very relaxing to ride slowly on the level in a very high gear.

Cadence?

24rpm. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
nez

Post by nez »

I think anyone who can undertake giant journeys on a 1970s chopper Mick is the stuff of legend and would have to be a statistical outlier! :-)
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

The computer that I ordered is seemingly coming from Germany. It didn't mention that on the famous bookseller's website when I placed the order. Anyhow, it's left Germany, got across the North Sea and has entered and left (yesterday afternoon) somewhere called Gbcvta GB (I believe that that's in Coventry). The delivery estimate is down as 17 June though. I'll see if the tracking updates with a better indication today but if not, I'm cancelling and re-ordering. That may seem strange but the famous bookseller themselves are now selling it themselves (rather than through a third party) - and it's a fiver cheaper!

UPDATE

Arrived 20 minutes ago.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

nez dans le guidon wrote:I think anyone who can undertake giant journeys on a 1970s chopper Mick is the stuff of legend and would have to be a statistical outlier! :-)
:D :D
Out again yesterday and cycled through Tavistock town centre.

Again, very very relaxed at 115" top gear doing circa 10mph on the flat. I stopped once or twice in the traffic and started off again without changing out of top gear.

Remember, this was on the flat and I wouldn't even consider trying to get a move on whilst only using a very low cadence in top gear. It just so happens that I naturally have a lower cadence than other experienced cyclists.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

nez dans le guidon wrote:I did a health appraisal thingy at work and they asked me to pedal a stationary bike at 55 rpm. I found it very difficult - my natural cadence is much higher (but what I dunno). The guy administering the test said regular cyclists found turning the cranks so slowly difficult.

Any reason why that cadence was chosen? Seems odd but I guess it depends what he was looking for.

I guess it's like some 'fitness tests' which have you running, which only tests running fitness, of which I have none.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No, I can't run any distance at all. Tires me out!
Put me on a bike, and I can ride all day up and down the Cornish hills. Show me any of the joggers we see round here and I bet they couldn't even ride a bike up Gunnislake Hill. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Low cadence low power.
High cadence more power.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66742#p569959

A good rule of thumb.

I zip past many people on road bikes as they pedal in high gears at low cadence.

My road bikes are fitted with 42/32/22 MTB chainsets and I spin away in a comfortable gear all the time. To keep a decent, efficient cadence on a traditional road chainset you have to be very fit indeed, and probably young too.

I don't think cadence sensors are that useful. Once you realise that straining laboriously at high gears is inefficient and slow it is easy to find a comfortable and efficient cadence for yourself.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It's not quite true though, a cadence of 400 wouldn't be high power.

There is an optimum range, and it will be a bit different for each of us. MickF's range is lower than some others, but that's fine.

Personally I work best at 90-100 rpm, so what - we're not clones...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
nez

Post by nez »

I've no idea Mark. Probably to allow non cycling fit people to achieve it easily?