Is a cadence sensor worth it?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

I'm upgrading my cycle computer. Nothing too fancy - speed, average, distance, etc. However, it does have a built in altimeter, heart rate monitor plus strap, calorie counter (with pinches of salt supplied for free). It also has a cadence reading - but to get that to work a sensor is needed. The monitor was sensor is an extra £12.

I know that there is more to cycling than figures. I do like to see if I'm getting faster over certain routes though. The main setting that I use on my current computer is the average trip speed, distance and time (obviously, all related).

Now the main thing that I want with a new computer is an altimeter to show roughly my ascent over a ride. The HR monitor will be a little toy for a while and the calorie counter I may or may not use - I can't see it being reliable. I've never really thought of measuring how fast I pedal and still don't think I will. However, anyone ever bought a computer with cadence and thought that it's changed their life?

Thanks in advance.

PS - I mainly use my bike for commuting and then riding over the weekends and rest days. I used to race many years ago - but now only race myself.
barrym

Re: Is a cadence sensor worth it?

Post by barrym »

If you are interested in the stats, and you clearly are, then why not? A friend of mine has just started following a Lance Armstrong training programme(enter your own jokes here), where you ride for a given period an a target cadence, then a period at a target heart rate. He seems to have fun!

My targets are just reaching my destination without falling off:-)

Edit: typo
Last edited by barrym on 22 May 2015, 12:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Cheers
Barry
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Cadence sensors were included with my latest couple of counters but I didn't bother fitting them. My cadence adjusts itself automatically so why should I start second-guessing it?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
pwa

Post by pwa »

There's nothing new with cadence sensors. I fitted a Cateye with cadence sensor to my wife's bike in 1994, but she never showed any interest in that feature. I would not be interested in cadence readings as I like to vary my cadence, not try to stick to a target. Very often as I crest the top of a hill and start descending I engage a high gear and use a very low cadence with slight pressure on the pedals for a few moments as a way of taking it easy while I have a sip of water. But we all enjoy different things, and if performance interests you it could be worth a go.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

For an extra £12 I would recommend giving it a try. I've got one and while it hasn't changed my life it has given me an insight into more efficient cycling.
On a 20-30ml ride my avg cadence was reported as 76. On similar distance rides now I work at increasing my cadence. I only get smaller increases, concentration probably drops after a while, and now it is usually 80 or slightly above. On longer rides I ride without trying to raise my cadence but I am noticing a more natural spinning especially early on in the rude.
Has there been any real benefit? Well for me yes there has. My avg speeds have risen and especially my Strava times on hill segments. I ride with rpm and %age HR showing. 90rpm I change to harder gear 80rpm I change to easier gear and keep my %age HR around 65%.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had one for many years with my Edge 305 and then Edge 705, and I found it very interesting as I like info and stats.

I did find that I was keeping an eye on my cadence, and having heard on here numerous times that cadence should be higher and such-and-such, or we had CJ stating that an experienced cyclist can keep up 80rpm all day. :shock:

I ended up feeling rather intimidated by the cadence info. I was continually trying to aim for higher cadence, whereas if I relaxed and rode as I wanted to, by cadence went lower.

It seems my long term cadence average was 67rpm. No doubt since I've got rid of the device, my cadence has gone even lower. At a guess - 62rpm.

Don't let me put you off, it's always good to know facts. Go for it, and see how you get on. You can always take it off again. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

[quote="barrym"

My targets are just reading my destination without falling off:-)[/quote]

mine just getting there :(
hondated

Post by hondated »

In reply to the question Yes it is worth it.

I fitted one to one of my bikes and found out the cadence I am comfortable with, 80, and its also taught me that I need to stay on the middle chain ring when the going gets tough rather than use the outer chain ring and push big gears.

I suppose I could of learnt that without one but there you go !
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Well, those answers surprised me. I was expecting some negativity towards cycling computers.

Anyhow, I've gone ahead and ordered one - got one of these with the sensor:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-Sport-061 ... =rox+cycle

They were quite a bit more expensive last week so when I saw that they'd gone down in price I ordered one.

Whether I'll use the cadence setting is another thing - but it is there if I want it.

On a slightly separate note - beat my cycling in to work time this morning. Must be doing something right.

Many thanks for the answers - much appreciated.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

How does the altimeter work? If it's barometric, we had one of those for walking, and to say it was wildly inaccurate would be an understatement. It sometimes had us doing a lot of ascent while we were sitting down having lunch, due to changes in air pressure because of the weather. That means it is not consistent from day to day on the same route.
Even the map-based type GPS we have now, though better, still tends to overestimate a bit, but it is at least consistent on the same route.

I use Anquet mapping on the computer at home. It also overestimates a bit, I think, but as I use it for route comparisons not anything absolute, I figure it should be consistent enough for my purposes.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Barometrics are inaccurate, but then so are GPSes. Having both, I can find a fair approximation to total climb.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Evans have a sale on if you ate interested

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gar ... r-ec021845
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Low cadence low power.
High cadence more power.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66742#p569959
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Low cadence low power.
High cadence more power.
It depends on the engine.
RPM isn't proportional to power, it's far more complicated than that.
Mick F. Cornwall
robing

Post by robing »

If like me you've ever had knee problems, then maintaining a relatively high cadence with a lower gear helps.