Which commuter?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Remaerd

Which commuter?

Post by Remaerd »

Looking for a commuter bike.
The commute is 16 to 20 miles to work and 12 miles home.
I want 28mm tyres and full mudguards, it will end up with flat bars.
And comfort is slightly more important than speed but only just.

Any suggestions?
The fat commuter

Re: Which commuter?

Post by The fat commuter »

What is your budget?

A bike that I'm considering is the Planet X London Road. Gets very good reviews.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/roa ... ondon-road

Unfortunately the online customer service doesn't though so. For me this is no problem as the Sheffield shop is about a half hour cycle ride away.

Maybe looking to get this once I sell my tourer bike that I bought for commuting but don't like (Dawes Super Galaxy). Will have to go over there again and have a few test rides as I can't make my mind up over the flat bars against dropped and whether to pay the extra for the upgraded brakes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Raptobike ? :mrgreen:
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Remaerd

Post by Remaerd »

Not set a budget, I've got an idea of what I'm gonna build but just thought I'd ask in case I'm over looking a good alternative, even alternative type of bike.
karlt

Post by karlt »

Terrain? On or off road? How long do you want it to take?
Remaerd

Post by Remaerd »

Mainly road but might go canal towpath or unmade track ocaisionally for a change.
12 mile commute normally takes between 40 and 45 mins at present.
karlt

Post by karlt »

Flat or hilly (I'm assuming flat or that pace would soon have you competing in racing...)
jqdsffjdsoge

Post by jqdsffjdsoge »

Remaerd wrote:Looking for a commuter bike.
The commute is 16 to 20 miles to work and 12 miles home.
I want 28mm tyres and full mudguards, it will end up with flat bars.
And comfort is slightly more important than speed but only just.

Any suggestions?

Genesis Flyer?
--
Just a bloke
2008 Surly LHT | 2013 Surly LHT | 2014 Genesis Flyer | 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 3
jqdsffjdsoge

Post by jqdsffjdsoge »

The fat commuter wrote:What is your budget?

A bike that I'm considering is the Planet X London Road. Gets very good reviews.

Unfortunately the online customer service doesn't though so. For me this is no problem as the Sheffield shop is about a half hour cycle ride away.

Maybe looking to get this once I sell my tourer bike that I bought for commuting but don't like (Dawes Super Galaxy). Will have to go over there again and have a few test rides as I can't make my mind up over the flat bars against dropped and whether to pay the extra for the upgraded brakes.

Bloody 'ell, that's sexy. I've just ordered a Giant Defy 3, but if I'd seen that first....
--
Just a bloke
2008 Surly LHT | 2013 Surly LHT | 2014 Genesis Flyer | 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 3
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

jqdsffjdsoge wrote:
The fat commuter wrote:What is your budget?

Bloody 'ell, that's sexy. I've just ordered a Giant Defy 3, but if I'd seen that first....

Funnily enough I looked at that when deciding on a new or s/h bike for Mrs BFB, it's cracking vfm isn't it.

Here's a slightly leftfield option which looks to be very good vfm to me:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/nor ... e-ec075293
Remaerd

Post by Remaerd »

karlt the 40min ride was nearly all in to be honest and it doesn't feel flat to me but isn't over the Pennines.
Commute is presently done on a hybrid with 35mm Voyager Hypers which I have found are only 35g heavier than 28 gatorskins so I might change the goal posts.