Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 and 3: Cycling out of?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
john44

Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 and 3: Cycling out of?

Post by john44 »

We are flying in from Copenhagen with our two bikes next month, and need advice on how to get out of Heathrow airport, and on which is the best bike route to Chiswick, west London. Cycling appears to have been prohibited within the airport, and through the tunnel, as there are massive building works going on. See Heathrow websites. So how do you not get out? In addition, bikes are prohibited on Piccadilly underground lines, and the half-hourly Heathrow Connect trains are restricted to ONE bike per train. Very keen to hear other cyclists' experiences of what appears to be a problem for all cyclists arriving at Heathrow with (non-folding) bikes. Many thanks.
Vorpal

Re: Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 and 3: Cycling out of?

Post by Vorpal »

Can you keep them boxed and take them on the train as luggage? Boxed bikes are usually considered luggage, rather than bikes. That's what I have done the only time I've gone to & from Heathrow with my bike. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for someone who has local knowledge.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
john44

Post by john44 »

Many thanks for replying. However, we cannot carry 2 boxes all the way from Berlin to Copenhagen on our bikes. And too much hassle and a diversion to acquire boxes in Copenhagen. We are using CTC plastic bike bags on the SAS aircraft from Copenhagen, which are light enough to carry with us.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

In bags is the same thing. They are luggage. You might get some jobsworth saying that they can't be taken, and it will be harder during peak times.

You can use the Heathrow Express, if it's not during peak times. There policy says bikes are allwoed at other times https://www.heathrowexpress.com/conditions-of-carriage

Also the airport website has some information about cycling to & from the airport http://www.heathrowairport.com/transpor ... o-heathrow

You might also want to check with Transport for London (TfL), which publishes cycling maps.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
john44

Post by john44 »

Many thanks (Vorpal) for these links, which I had looked at before writing to the Forum. I am not keen to risk jobsworths stopping us getting on trains with bikes in plastic, and anyway the task of carrying 2 bikes in plastic plus 5 panniers may be beyond this 70-year-old!
TFL website replies: "Journey planner could not find any results to your search, please try again" when I attempted to find a cycle route from T1, T2, T3. Heathrow Express may be an option, but its costly and takes us too far into central London. There were reports elsewhere that it too was limiting bike carriage to ONE per train. Heathrow Connect would be ideal, as it stops at West Ealing and at Ealing Broadway from where we can cycle easily home to Chiswick. I am checking with Heathrow Connect via their email enquiries site.
Heathrow says on its website: "Cyclists are not be permitted to access Terminals 1, 2 and 3 using the main tunnel." Nowhere can I see any reference to alternative routes in or out of the airport.
In fact another document re the Heathrow Cycle Hub says:
"Main Tunnel Refurbishment - Tunnel Closed to Cyclists
The main tunnel is undergoing a major refurbishment to install new and upgrade 25 different systems including lighting, ventilation, emergency exits and road resurfacing.
To support the tunnel refurbishment project, cyclists are no longer permitted to access the Central Terminal Area (CTA) using the main tunnel, and should instead use the new secure facility at the Cycle Hub and then catch a free bus to complete their journey. The project aims to make the side tunnels available again to the business as soon as possible, once the tunnels have been upgraded with the introduction of the new and improved systems."
I am hoping that other members who have recent experience of getting out of Heathrow can help. Ideally, by cycling, but, if not, by public transport. Once out of Heathrow, it's probably the A4 with its far-from-ideal cycle track… After cycling in Holland and Germany, one quickly wishes the UK would go much further in matching the high standards of their bike routes.
Many thanks, again, for replying and for your advice.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

You can use Heathrow Express to travel at no charge between from T123 to T4. Then you can just cycle off site. I have several times cycled from Heathrow T4 to Feltham Railway Station, a distance of around a mile, to use local rail services.

Alternatively you can use the free bus service to get through the tunnel out of T123. I have successfully done this on a previous occasion when the tunnel was closed to cyclists. On that occasion it took me to a car park just off the northern perimeter road, which is a good road to use to cycle off the airport.

London Underground will definitely not let you put a bicycle on an underground train even in a plastic bag or box. Their concern is the size of the object causing an obstruction if the train has to be evacuated in the tunnel between Heathrow and Hounslow.
john44

Post by john44 »

That sounds like excellent advice. Many thanks, Iviehoff.
I await answers from Heathrow Connect, which might be helpful, too. Whatever the result, I will pass it on to this forum.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I don't know if it is of any significance, or just a glitch, but the TfL route planner (for me at least) will only give a cycling result if you select Heathrow Terminal 5 (not Terminla 1,2,3 or T4).

You've probably already seen but the Heathrow website says
Bicycles can also be taken free of charge between Heathrow terminals, even if you are not taking your cycle on a flight. (link)

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Also, if you are tight, like me, you might notice that Heathrow Connect charges a rather fancy price for the one stop from Heathrow to Hayes and Harlington, which is deliberately kept high to protect HExpress's even fancier fares. So you could use the free bus service through the tunnel, ride the approx. 2 miles from there to Hayes and Harlington Stn, (northern perimeter road, turn left onto A437, v easy) and use local railway services without the one-bike restriction from there and at normal prices instead of fancy HConnect price.
john44

Post by john44 »

Thanks, Iviehoff. And with our Freedom passes, pay zilch from Hayes and Harlington!
john44

Post by john44 »

I thought I would share the Good News from Heathrow Connect. Despite other indications to the contrary, they have just written to me to say that more than ONE bike can be carried on Heathrow Connect trains. Here is the text of their email:

"Case reference: 00076978

Dear Mr Aldridge,
Thank you for contacting Heathrow Connect.

There should not be any problems carrying your bikes on the Heathrow Connect, as you will not be traveling in peak hours.

Please be advised that your case has now been resolved and closed. Please allow up to 3-5 working days for this to appear on your statement. If you have any further questions visit https://www.heathrowexpress.com/faqs or let me know if I can be of further assistance. On behalf of Heathrow Express we thank you for your custom and we look forward to welcoming you on board our service in the near future.

Kind Regards
Dominique
Customer Relations Team"

Excellent to hear this :D . It will help us both to exit Heathrow painlessly and get to Ealing Broadway in some comfort. And I hope this news will help others do the same.