Question about this video

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vorpal

Re: Question about this video

Post by Vorpal »

Tonyf33 wrote: we can see EVERYTHING that we need to see to know there was only one person at fault here and that wasn't the cyclist.

I was not trying to imply otherwise. I certainly wasn't trying to blame the cyclists.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Vorpal wrote:
Tonyf33 wrote: we can see EVERYTHING that we need to see to know there was only one person at fault here and that wasn't the cyclist.

I was not trying to imply otherwise. I certainly wasn't trying to blame the cyclists.

I was responding to you saying this "but we don't know the road, what happened before the incident, or anything else"
Do you not think in hindsight that that sentence is pretty wide of the mark? You effectively said we don't know what happened at all, the thing is we do know what happened and why.
I never tried to imply that you did blame the cyclist/s, just that when you say we don't know what happened that simply isn't accurate.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Sorry. I thought that I wrote,
Frankly, the video is shocking, but we don't know the road, what happened before the incident, or anything else that isn't in the video.

I see now that I left off the last bit. :oops:

Why didn't you understand what I meant to say? :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tonyf33 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
Tonyf33 wrote:so hang on, it sounds like most of you are blaming the cyclist here..WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU!!!
The HGV comes thundering past UNDERTAKING whilst driving over the chevrons with not enough space to get past at a ridiculous speed, basically couldn't be buttocked to overtake or made a late decision not come off the off ramp.
The cyclist wants to move over into the inside lane which IF he had actually moved over he'd be dead :twisted:

For those of you saying he probably shouldn't be there, how do you know what is acceptable in that country, do you say that a cyclist in this country on a d/c shouldn't be there because of fast moving motorvehicles?

I don't think anyone is blaming the cyclists. Maybe suggesting some things that could have been done to avoid the incident, but that's not blame. Frankly, the video is shocking, but we don't know the road, what happened before the incident, or anything else.

Well actually we do, we can see everything I've described,
we can see that a mirror would have made no difference, we can see that the HGV crosses the chevrons illegally, we can see that the HGV undertakes at a ridiculous speed, we can see that the HGV passes far too close to a vulnerable road user at a point of the road where there is no space nor suitable by any stretch of the imagination, we can see that the cyclists hold their line, we can see that the HGV collides with the cyclists and injures one of them, we can see that the HGV doesn't stop, we can see EVERYTHING that we need to see to know there was only one person at fault here and that wasn't the cyclist.

I have no doubt at all the driving was atrocious and the driver must have the brain of a moron.
I still take issue when you say "the cyclists hold their line" if that is so then why limply stick your hand out to suggest to anyone behind that your intention is to move to the right?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Paulatic wrote:I still take issue when you say "the cyclists hold their line" if that is so then why limply stick your hand out to suggest to anyone behind that your intention is to move to the right?

We can't know for certain why he stuck his hand out. I suppose that he stuck his arm out to indicate that he would move into the right lane that was developing after the slip road. He had not reason to expect a vehicle there; there wasn't yet a lane there.