Question about this video

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
maxcherry

Question about this video

Post by maxcherry »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HvnS7GPrVnU

This made my blood run cold. Would the truck driver know he hit the cyclist?
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Paulatic

Re: Question about this video

Post by Paulatic »

Only if he looked in his les mirror. With that attitude to driving I suspect the driver has a very narrow outlook on driving!
It was a lackadaisical manoeuvre from the cyclist though I thought. Didn't exactly shoulder check and make eye contact with anything behind.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The cyclist didn't maneuver. He only stuck his arm out. I have to admit, I would have looked over my shoulder first. *maybe* that would have given him time to make an evasive maneuver. It might only have given him time to see what hit him.

And it looked like the lorry hit at least two cyclists. Or maybe the other one (or two?) were knocked over by the turbelence behind the lorry?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I thought the cyclist had moved because he was on the left of a white line when he put his arm out He is on the rhs of the line when he is hit.

E2E info
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

The road looks like a motorway? not sure if it is, but i wouldn't have thought it would be a safe route to take. Not happy with his friend (or truck driver) who
carefully placed his bike upright making sure not to damage it, before attended to the injured guy! WTH :shock: .
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I think, if you can bear to watch it again, you'll be able to see that it isn't the same white line.

Without further information it's impossible to understand why the cyclist wanted to be in the newly emerging RH lane. I think I might6 have planned to make that sort of lane change a bit further down the road because of the risk of the sort of incident that just happened. A driver, travelling at speed, nearly missed his turn and shot over the chevrons with nothing more on his mind than avoiding the start of the crash barrier. He might have seen the cyclists ahead of him - and forgotten about them as he realised he was about to take a wrong turn. This is NOT the voice of experience - I disciplined myself long ago to avoid last ditch attempts to get onto an exit slip, about the same time I realised how many vehicles overturned doing just that.

The answer to the original question is almost certainly no. It was a blind spot contact that he could not have seen except in his mirrors. I was trained to check my mirrors after passing vulnerable road users - I doubt that this guy bothered.
He wouldn't have heard anything even with the window open and wouldn't have felt anything. Might not even have felt it if he had actually run over the guy

Edited to add: When I saw him stand the bike up I thought it was a smart move - a visible obstacle in advance of the point where you will be standing in the road. If you note - it was also the last thing to be recovered to a safer location :)
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Ok it might be exactly the same continued white line but it certainly looks to me that you have to move over to get into that lane. Image

E2E info
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

The bikes not that visible, besides the concrete things that the bike was placed against is away from the traffic. IMHO the guy looked over his bike first then stood it up carefully out the way before giving the injured man a second thought.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

maxcherry wrote:The bikes not that visible, besides the concrete things that the bike was placed against is away from the traffic. IMHO the guy looked over his bike first then stood it up carefully out the way before giving the injured man a second thought.

Ok - I'll put my hand up for having gotten confused. :oops: I was thinking about a different bike - but where I had thought I'd seen someone using the bike as a bit of a warning - he was actually just putting it down after lifting it off the guy who was hit by the truck.

As for the guy with the camera - don't be too hard on him. Its surprising what you do get up to after a shock like that. When my lad was about 13 he fell off and landed right in front of me. I actually rode over his back wheel before managing to stop myself. Then I dismounted, and then I leant my bike against a handy garden wall. I suppose it might have looked a bit cold hearted to some observers, but I was just conscious of the need to get us all off the road, so dropping my bike in the road seemed silly. TBH, if the car behind hadn't stopped I don't think it would have mattered what priorities I had...
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

so hang on, it sounds like most of you are blaming the cyclist here..WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU!!!
The HGV comes thundering past UNDERTAKING whilst driving over the chevrons with not enough space to get past at a ridiculous speed, basically couldn't be buttocked to overtake or made a late decision not come off the off ramp.
The cyclist wants to move over into the inside lane which IF he had actually moved over he'd be dead :twisted:

For those of you saying he probably shouldn't be there, how do you know what is acceptable in that country, do you say that a cyclist in this country on a d/c shouldn't be there because of fast moving motorvehicles?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I'm not saying that the truck driver is in the right. I would say if the cyclist had looked behind and checked traffic before moving road position then he could have avoided it. I daresay the rules of the road there means that there is no way a vehicle should be coming from your right. One was though, and going very fast.

i.e. If in the UK you had been out in the centre of the road then want to turn left would you just half heartedly wave your arm and do it? I certainly wouldn't. Look behind to see what's going on, make eye contact if possible, make a signal like you mean it. Shoulder check again and move. Did we see any of that in the video?

E2E info
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'm not convinced he could have done -the truck would have been a LONG way back - it was not going slowly, and it would have been in a traffic lane that went elsewhere...

But to answer the original question - I think the truck blipped it's horn?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Tonyf33 wrote:so hang on, it sounds like most of you are blaming the cyclist here..WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU!!!
The HGV comes thundering past UNDERTAKING whilst driving over the chevrons with not enough space to get past at a ridiculous speed, basically couldn't be buttocked to overtake or made a late decision not come off the off ramp.
The cyclist wants to move over into the inside lane which IF he had actually moved over he'd be dead :twisted:

For those of you saying he probably shouldn't be there, how do you know what is acceptable in that country, do you say that a cyclist in this country on a d/c shouldn't be there because of fast moving motorvehicles?

I don't think anyone is blaming the cyclists. Maybe suggesting some things that could have been done to avoid the incident, but that's not blame. Frankly, the video is shocking, but we don't know the road, what happened before the incident, or anything else.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

There is a world of difference between observing that someone appears not to have taken every possible precaution and suggesting that therefore the subsequent accident is their fault. The truck driver is clearly the one at fault here. His forward observation is inadequate. He might have seen the cyclists but has not reacted to their presence. He has swerved from what appears to be an exit slip back onto what I believe to be the main carriageway, crossing the chevrons to do so. Really, it is a waste of time even discussing who is at fault.

The cyclists situation is unusual (I hope) by UK standards. You could almost be forgiven for believing them to be on a motorway! They appear to have successfully negotiated a stretch of road in which two lanes are created to carry off traffic leaving the main flow. They are in the equivalent of the nearside lane, positioned close to the "nearside" limit- the line which borders the chevrons. The lead rider parts company with this line when a new lane divider diverges from it, and almost straight away signals a move to the "nearside" ie. into the newly emerging "nearside" lane.

Personally I would have stayed close to the chevron boundary, but doing what he did almost certainly saved his life, so I'm not criticising...

FWIW there is a point on the M6 Southbound at the Eastern edge of Birmingham, near Water Orton, where two lanes leave the M6 to join the M42N that appears to be an almost exact mirror image of the location for this video. Having a quick peek on Google Earth may help to understand the scene. About half way along the M6 side of the chevrons you can see a new lane divider emerge. That's comparable to the location of the incident.

When I go through here in a truck I just follow the chevron edge into the new lane in a smooth sweep. My experience has been that if I do not take the lane as it appears it won't be long before some Herbert starts to come up on my inside. I do the same in a car, and why not? after all, I'm protected by those chevrons...
Thought provoking.
I hope that lot is some help!
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Vorpal wrote:
Tonyf33 wrote:so hang on, it sounds like most of you are blaming the cyclist here..WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU!!!

I don't think anyone is blaming the cyclists. Maybe suggesting some things that could have been done to avoid the incident, but that's not blame. Frankly, the video is shocking, but we don't know the road, what happened before the incident, or anything else.

Well actually we do, we can see everything I've described,
we can see that a mirror would have made no difference, we can see that the HGV crosses the chevrons illegally, we can see that the HGV undertakes at a ridiculous speed, we can see that the HGV passes far too close to a vulnerable road user at a point of the road where there is no space nor suitable by any stretch of the imagination, we can see that the cyclists hold their line, we can see that the HGV collides with the cyclists and injures one of them, we can see that the HGV doesn't stop, we can see EVERYTHING that we need to see to know there was only one person at fault here and that wasn't the cyclist.