Share the space drop your pace

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: Share the space drop your pace

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I was alluding to the protection and conservation of precious habitats, echoing your comments.

Ah,I get you now :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mark1978 wrote:They aren't allowed to use nets shurely?

They use keepnets and landing nets,both of which are very fish friendly so the fish are returned in good health.
It's worth mentioning that anglers are usually the first people to note any pollution in the waterways,due to their direct contact with them.
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Mark1978 wrote:They aren't allowed to use nets shurely?

They use keepnets and landing nets,both of which are very fish friendly so the fish are returned in good health.
It's worth mentioning that anglers are usually the first people to note any pollution in the waterways,due to their direct contact with them.

Funnily enough I reported an illegal discharge only a couple of weekends ago.

With consumate irony an "eco-attraction" was pouring contaminated water into a stream and killing it stone dead in the process.
ian s

Post by ian s »

reohn2 wrote -
The idea of the long poles is so they can fish either side of the canal not just one side.

On countless occasions I have seen long poles used to fish on the opposite side of the canal, but never ever to date seen anyone fishing the towpath side with a 2 or 3 foot rod. It is usually the very long poles that impede tow path users, though sometimes the vast boxes of whatever do also
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

The towpath side sees a lot of traffic and as a result fish tend to congregate on the quieter far bank, hence the use of poles.

Poles also allow much more precise and accurate fishing than does a conventional running line outfit.
Si

Post by Si »

Bloody Poles coming over here pinching the jobs off of good British rods.....sorry, I was looking for the immigration thread :oops:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ian s wrote:reohn2 wrote -
The idea of the long poles is so they can fish either side of the canal not just one side.

On countless occasions I have seen long poles used to fish on the opposite side of the canal, but never ever to date seen anyone fishing the towpath side with a 2 or 3 foot rod. It is usually the very long poles that impede tow path users, though sometimes the vast boxes of whatever do also

Boney's post covers the fishing the far bank and without going into the whole of angling techniques you'll have to take my word for it anglers do fish other parts of the water in front of them though it does depend on depth and boat traffic.
I don't wish to get into slanging match about it but IME anglers tend to try,where the towpath is
narrow,to leave as much of it clear as they can,if I have to dismount and walk around behind an angler on a particularly narrow bit I don't see it as too much of a hinderance but see it as perhaps a chance for a chat and ask if he's caught anything.
You do get the odd obstinate one who thinks the canal belongs to him/her alone because they pay to fish but it's rare,but generally they're helpful and courteous.
YVMV but the canals and towpaths that run alongside them are leisure facilities to be used at a leisurely pace,not Strava routes which is what the leaflet in the OP's link is informing people,they belong to us all and everyone has a right to use them but IMHO cyclists(like motorists on the roads) have more responsibility as the one capable of most harm to others.
Canal fishing is nowhere near as popular as it used to be on the L&L,Lancaster,Trent&Mersey,Warrington,StHelens,Sankey canals where I ride but generally I find anglers to be cooperative and pleasant.

EDIT:- I haven't fished for 20 years but I do see both sides of the debate.
Last edited by reohn2 on 20 May 2015, 9:46am, edited 2 times in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:Bloody Poles coming over here pinching the jobs off of good British rods.....sorry, I was looking for the immigration thread :oops:

Don't you mean you were longing________________ for an immigration thread :wink:
W H Auden
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

There are actually notices up on several canals to tell Polish (and other) anglers that, when you've caught a fish, you put it back rather than taking it home and cooking it: http://www.anglingtrust.net/page.asp?section=709
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Billy, a well-known local farmer/jack of all trades took a more direct approach, causing something of a stir...

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/yourto ... ed_racist/
gaz

Post by gaz »

Si wrote:Bloody Poles coming over here pinching the jobs off of good British rods.....sorry, I was looking for the immigration thread :oops:

The British rod industry died out years ago, it's all Exage or Ultegra now.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:There are actually notices up on several canals to tell Polish (and other) anglers that, when you've caught a fish, you put it back rather than taking it home and cooking it: http://www.anglingtrust.net/page.asp?section=709

so is it generally not permitted to eat the fish?
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

What's the point in fishing if you don't eat the result?
RickH

Post by RickH »

I liked the illustration they used for this on Facebook
Duck lane.JPG

First time I've ever seen a Duck Lane! :D

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

gaz wrote:

The British rod industry died out years ago, it's all Exage or Ultegra now.

There are still many people producing rods in the UK, but in common with many other products it occupies the high-end sector as the Far Eastern manufacturers take the mass market.