Share the space drop your pace

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Share the space drop your pace

Post by [XAP]Bob »

We just need the same on the roads...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

The rumour I heard about the resurfaced path was that it had been done at the wrong time of year so the surface hasn't applied correctly( I cycled along it in mid-resurface oops, contractors were fine about it ). As with many jobs they can be done correctly with the right people.... but few and far between in reality it seems. A much worse stretch of the number one route is just beside there, out of warkworth at birling, one of the most bomb cratered sections of track I've ever encountered, shameful considering the number of foreign tourists who are used to much better and have to ride it when travelling up the coast... I reported it to the Duke of Northumberlands estates ( the owner ) and received no reply... well what did I expect from one of the wealthiest landowners.

The provision for cycle paths is very dis-joined, on here, off there, through a style, through a chicane, and not great signing. Hence I ride the road 95% of my time and the tourists in the image are doing that too, simply making good progress on a continuous bike path..... namely the road. Its very car oriented in these parts, people driving 1/2mile or less is very common, so quite hard to get them to understand we all have to share the amenities and that roads aren't just for cars. The negative views outlined in the article I encounter often. Yet on the sustrans path I get dog walkers etc not looking very happy that you're on their path even though I'm riding with due care and attention and saying hello as I pass. Share and share alike on road or bike path.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

In Lancaster there is a nice cycle route that goes from east of Caton along the river Lune to Glasson Docks. It is a nice enough ride but gets a bit bad where the main roads cross the river lune in Lancaster. One of the bridges has a steep underpass with barriers. They are hard enough to negotiate with bikes but we had a trailer too. You needed to lift the trailer around them which took 2 people. If I was on my own I would have basically had to go to the road and cross over at road level at a major juntion in the roads where the one way system starts.

Now Lancaster was one of the original 5 cycling demonstration towns which meant it got a shedload of extra spending to improve cycle use. It set up this Millenium cycleway and produces leaflets with on and off road cycle routes all through the area trying to promote cycling including this cycle route. Why on earth they didn't sort those barriers out. I am sure a small budget could have sorted them out. I mean you have the weight of the trailer on the back of the bike and halfway down a steep slope you have to use the full brakes to hold the trailer while negotiating the barriers. Lack of commonsense going on there.
ian s

Post by ian s »

The leaflet is silly, because for a start, runners are pedestrians, they just happen to be going faster than walkers. For example, runners have no more, or less, priority than walkers. I agree with earlier comments that the biggest restriction on towpath usage is the danglers with rods right across the path, and frequently the canal also. Why if the fishing is better on the other side of the canal they don't go there and use a 2 foot long rod beats me
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ian s wrote: .... runners are pedestrians, they just happen to be going faster than walkers. For example, runners have no more, or less, priority than walkers.

Agreed.
I agree with earlier comments that the biggest restriction on towpath usage is the danglers with rods right across the path, and frequently the canal also. Why if the fishing is better on the other side of the canal they don't go there and use a 2 foot long rod beats me

Which shows a complete ignorance of angling,in the same way some people(usually motorists) show a complete ignorance of cycling.
The idea of the long poles is so they can fish either side of the canal not just one side.
I occasionally come across someone obstructing the towpath with a pole but they are generally accommodating and apologetic,I wait until they've moved it,usually a few seconds,no big deal,a bit like if a driver has to wait behind me when for a few seconds when they can't overtake.
Very occassionally I may get a slow to react or obstructive angler but it's rare,though the same can be said for any class of towpath user,dog walkers can be absolutely stupid and obstructive and occassionally belligerent so and so's as can groups of ramblers,and likewise some cyclists.

The leaflet is silly

I don't think it is silly,other than horses,cyclists are capable of causing the most injury to other towpath users,so it's only reasonable where space is at a premium,that they should give way to other towpath users IMHO.
I seen some absolutely stupid behaviour by cyclists on the towpaths which I use regularly,their favourite trick is zooming past pedestrians from behind with inches to spare,frightening the life out of them :twisted: .
These goons(usually commuters though not exclusively) are the type that cause the problems for us all,and if I see it happen I make a point of stopping showing concern and sympathising with the offended people as some sort of reparation.
I view this behaviour in exactly the same way I view the effect drivers have on me when they close overtake when I'm cycling on the road.
Boot and other foot,are words that spring immediately mind.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ian s

Post by ian s »

Guilty as charged, apart from what I have seen them do, I am indeed completely ignorant of the ways of fisherman. As an occasional user of both the canals and the canal towpaths I simply find their attitude of superiority infuriating. The canals were put there for boating traffic, not for fisherfolk, and they should not forget that
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ian s wrote:Guilty as charged, apart from what I have seen them do, I am indeed completely ignorant of the ways of fisherman. As an occasional user of both the canals and the canal towpaths I simply find their attitude of superiority infuriating. The canals were put there for boating traffic, not for fisherfolk, and they should not forget that

And the roads weren't initially built for cars but hey ho! guess what? :?
Canals were built for haulage pure and simple,they served no other purpose,until that haulage was moved to the railways and latterly to the roads.The canals were then left to decline until the age of the leisure boater and certain pollution laws.
So when you claim canals are there for only boat traffic you're right,that boat traffic has also meant a cleaning up of water quality from the filth of even only 40years ago,and as a result the angling clubs stocked a lot of canals with fish to facilitate their sport/pastime.

I agree some people have a superiority complex,that's across the board and not confined to just the angling community,as I posted before.
I believe it to be mainly a UK 'disease' due to the despicable class system that pervades UK society generally.The ''you are what you have'' outlook made popular by consumerism.....

It may be worth mentioning that anglers pay to fish both through their national rod licence and club ownership of angling rights to some stretches of canal,which may explain some of their unnecessary arrogance,not that I agree in any way with their attitude,a bit like some motorists claim cyclists shouldn't be on the roads as they don't pay ''road tax'' :? .
BTW I find the best way to deal with unnecessarily obstructive anglers with their pole blocking the towpath is get off the bike and make to stride over it carrying the bike,it's amazing how quick they move it :wink: .
TBH I find an element of UK society who couldn't care less for anything or anyone else but self to be appalling especially on the roads and shared paths,when I travel abroad I don't find to be anywhere near as evident ,in fact totally absent IME .
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Part of the issue is that they were designed for transport, what we really need (for anglers and others) is a verge between the towpath and the canal - that would allow them to stay still (which is apparently important for anglers) and not obstruct the path for other users.
It would allow people to sit and dangle their toes in the water...

It would allow the path to be used in either case.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Part of the issue is that they were designed for transport, what we really need (for anglers and others) is a verge between the towpath and the canal - that would allow them to stay still (which is apparently important for anglers) and not obstruct the path for other users.
It would allow people to sit and dangle their toes in the water...

It would allow the path to be used in either case.

I agree though sometimes towpaths are too narrow for that to be practical,but generally there's usually enough width.
Generally my problems are usually with the idiotic or obstinate/arrogant.
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

BTW I find the best way to deal with unnecessarily obstructive anglers with their pole blocking the towpath is get off the bike and make to stride over it carrying the bike,it's amazing how quick they move it :wink: .

Naaaaaaa, stay on the bike and bunny hop it. <joke>
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Si wrote:

Naaaaaaa, stay on the bike and bunny hop it. <joke>

I'll try that on the raptobike...
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
ian s wrote:Guilty as charged, apart from what I have seen them do, I am indeed completely ignorant of the ways of fisherman. As an occasional user of both the canals and the canal towpaths I simply find their attitude of superiority infuriating. The canals were put there for boating traffic, not for fisherfolk, and they should not forget that

And the roads weren't initially built for cars but hey ho! guess what? :?
Canals were built for haulage pure and simple,they served no other purpose,until that haulage was moved to the railways and latterly to the roads.The canals were then left to decline until the age of the leisure boater and certain pollution laws.
So when you claim canals are there for only boat traffic you're right,that boat traffic has also meant a cleaning up of water quality from the filth of even only 40years ago,and as a result the angling clubs stocked a lot of canals with fish to facilitate their sport/pastime.

I agree some people have a superiority complex,that's across the board and not confined to just the angling community,as I posted before.
I believe it to be mainly a UK 'disease' due to the despicable class system that pervades UK society generally.The ''you are what you have'' outlook made popular by consumerism.....

It may be worth mentioning that anglers pay to fish both through their national rod licence and club ownership of angling rights to some stretches of canal,which may explain some of their unnecessary arrogance,not that I agree in any way with their attitude,a bit like some motorists claim cyclists shouldn't be on the roads as they don't pay ''road tax'' :? .
TBH I find an element of UK society who couldn't care less for anything or anyone else but self to be appalling especially on the roads and shared paths,when I travel abroad I don't find to be anywhere near as evident ,in fact totally absent IME .

This. As ever one remembers the exceptions rather than the rule, but fishermen make a net contribution overall, I'd say.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:This. As ever one remembers the exceptions rather than the rule, but fishermen make a net contribution overall, I'd say.

Do you mean a net contribution to the upkeep of the canals or a contribution to the problem?
I do agree we do remember the exceptions but then it's the exceptions that cause all the problems :? .
The vast majority of people of any group are OK it's the significant minority that concern us.
W H Auden
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

They aren't allowed to use nets shurely?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:This. As ever one remembers the exceptions rather than the rule, but fishermen make a net contribution overall, I'd say.

Do you mean a net contribution to the upkeep of the canals or a contribution to the problem?
I do agree we do remember the exceptions but then it's the exceptions that cause all the problems :? .
The vast majority of people of any group are OK it's the significant minority that concern us.

I was alluding to the protection and conservation of precious habitats, echoing your comments.