how to communicate with "imprisoned" drivers?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

how to communicate with "imprisoned" drivers?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

how should one communicate with drivers "hidden" behind closed windows of tinted or mirror glass?

For example when they must wait and I have priority .. I think the best way is to hold out a spread hand so that the driver can NOT see my face. Then s/he is not sure what I am up to, thinks maybe I am crazy, thats fine, keep them in ignorance .. besides, one should not look aggressive beasts direct in the eyes.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Diolch
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
The fat commuter

Re: how to communicate with "imprisoned" drivers?

Post by The fat commuter »

Cyril Haearn wrote:how should one communicate with drivers "hidden" behind closed windows of tinted or mirror glass?

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Communicate by reporting the car to the police. Rear windows can have a heavy tint but front windows can't.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

I suggest this isn't a case of tinted glass, but simply that the angle of the windscreen in relation to the light and a cyclist's riding position often makes it appear opaque. For that reason I can rarely make out the face of a car driver, but usually can with the drivers of larger vehicles, when looking up rather than down at the windscreen.
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

When I see a vehicle with heavily tinted windows I always make a point of staring hard with an incredulous and mocking expression as if I can see them perfectly clearly. It is rather hard to continue to believe in ones own invisibility when subjected to the 'Paddington stare'. Childish of me I know, but it amuses me to think of them suddenly feeling all exposed, going home, getting out of the vehicle and staring worriedly at the glass from various angles . . .