Caution Cyclists Signs

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Caution Cyclists Signs

Post by MikeF »

There was obviously a cycling event on the roads around here today as there highly visible signs saying "Caution Cyclists" although I didn't see any. This set me wondering why should these signs even be necessary? If motorists need these reminders shouldn't the signs be permanent, eg at pinch points, junctions?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
gaz

Re: Caution Cyclists Signs

Post by gaz »

Permanent warning signs do exist for cycle routes, e.g. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Gra ... 60cd850e75

Sign to Diagram 950: Traffic Signs Manual, page 71.
... may be used to warn traffic of a place where a cycle route crosses or joins a road and is not controlled by traffic signals.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

They are utterly futile IMHO, here is the ONLY crossing to get to Stevenage from Letchworth without having to go round the villages and/or down narrow lanes with hidden bends/crumbling roads. You could approach it from the opposite direction and thus avoid crossing but you'd still have to cross it to get back anyway. That said cycling an extra 5 mile detour through Baldock, up the old Gt North Rd & then have to traverse the busy bypass DC and the roundabout where motorists take absolute liberties, plus the offslip to where the cycle path meets up with vehicles cutting in on you at 50mph (due to the fact the bend is very open to allow such) isn't really a pleasant option either.

The sign is placed 100yds to the crossing, which at the speed limit (50mph) it takes 4 seconds, at the more usual 60mph that vehicles are passing this point it takes roughly 3.5seconds. If you look at the pic I've cut this is 150yds from the crossing, hidden by the signs so you can't actually see if anyone is there waiting to cross even IF you did acknowledge the warning sign and/or weren't speeding.
With the debris from the farmers on the path it's no wonder this is used only but the hardiest of cyclists. :x
Attachments
A505 Cyclist sign.JPG
RickH

Post by RickH »

Temporary signs will have to be put up some time before, and taken down some time after, an event. They aren't done like Gromit laying train track in "The Wrong Trousers"...

(from 25m50s here or just watch it right through :D )

...so there will be periods of time when the signs are up but there aren't an unusual number of cyclists.

There are permanent signs near some junctions on the Lancashire Cycleway ,such as this one (Google Streetview) near Coppull which fulfills the conditions in Gaz's quote.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

Perhaps the sign could be mounted on the bike's handlebars as a warning to the cyclist. There are as many idiots on two wheels as there are on four.
Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Shootist wrote:Perhaps the sign could be mounted on the bike's handlebars as a warning to the cyclist. There are as many idiots on two wheels as there are on four.

Not true, and more importantly the idiots on two wheels (who do exist) do an awful lot less damage than those on 4
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

MikeF wrote:There was obviously a cycling event on the roads around here today as there highly visible signs saying "Caution Cyclists" although I didn't see any. This set me wondering why should these signs even be necessary? If motorists need these reminders shouldn't the signs be permanent, eg at pinch points, junctions?

There are a lot of "Think Bike" signs around the country. I always associated these with motorbikes. My impression is that they are not put up by Highways and although many seem "long term", they tend to be fixed to e.g. street lighting. I would assume that as there are so many that they must make a difference or would people bother with so many (i.e. I would have expected they would try a few areas first, maybe accident black spots, and only if helpful go to the effort and expense of such a widespread installation of so many).

There is a fairly main road going into Norwich that has the symbolic cycle painted middle on the lane along the road. I don't know if this link works but it's to Google Maps StreetView and should show one such mark on the road - they repeat all along the route. Having discussed them with other cyclists, some think they are a "reminder", some that they indicate a cycle lane that cars also use, others that they are a bit like the motorway chevron things (which I can't see/understand atall). It is a fairly main route into Norwich that does have a fair number of cycles using it. It does seem like a good idea as whatever the real purpose it is going to keep reminding drivers about cyclists.

Ian
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Caution: Road Signs Ahead
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Tonyf33 wrote:They are utterly futile IMHO, here is the ONLY crossing to get to Stevenage from Letchworth ...

I'd give it a wide berth, and go via Willian and Wymondley, or from Willian via the Great North Cycle Route, across the fields towards Graveley.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

drossall wrote:
Tonyf33 wrote:They are utterly futile IMHO, here is the ONLY crossing to get to Stevenage from Letchworth ...

I'd give it a wide berth, and go via Willian and Wymondley, or from Willian via the Great North Cycle Route, across the fields towards Graveley.

Oh I use it frequently, it's a habit as much as anything else though I have gone the Willian/Wymondly/Gravely route on the odd occasion but the lanes in places are very narrow and twisty in places. It just infuriates me that when they built the bypass they thought right we'll put a crossing in for cyclists but we'll put a warning sign up only 3-4 seconds worth of driving time ahead and ensure that the signs actually hide people standing/waiting at the crossing due to the crown of the bend, you couldn't make it up :twisted:
gaz

Post by gaz »

DSCN0902a.jpg

I think this is the sort of thing that the OP came across. There's some small print stating it will be in place for a maximum of 72 hours, but I've got no idea when it went up. As for attaching it to a traffic light :roll: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

"Cycle Event" sounds like something a washing machine does, or some jargon in maths. Insert a cycle event just here and bingo, the equation all balances out.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Re the dual carriage way crossing:

Worse, isn't two warning signs on the same post going to cause cognitive overload in a moton brain?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Re the dual carriage way crossing:

Worse, isn't two warning signs on the same post going to cause cognitive overload in a moton brain?

Its like that philosopher that went mad because he saw a horse get whipped. It fits into most people's reality, but that day, not his. :shock:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Suck on this -
http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/204-225-road ... extra-care
2015-05-15_205444.jpg

Saw these (Green Sign Only) on the approach ROAD to the cycle bridge (yet to open, was tempted to try it today :wink: ) its a road and the text in pic says "Whole Road" children playing or community event :?

Not sure a Road should be graded that way.

I use this road several times a week and there are nutters frequenting here in cars and vans, do you think they read..............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.