An answer to potholes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pugwash

An answer to potholes

Post by Pugwash »

[edit: please note, link contains 'adult' content, maybe NSFW]
http://www.fastcodesign.com/3045488/slicker-city/anonymous-activist-gets-potholes-fixed-by-drawing-giant-penises-around-them#5

Somewhat divisive but it seems to work.
LollyKat

Re: An answer to potholes

Post by LollyKat »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol:
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

LollyKat wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

Think we've just found the perpetrator [emoji55]
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Oi, who do you think you're accusing? I'll have you know that I am a fearfully respectable and law-abiding person. In any case, I can draw much better than that graffiti artist.....

661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I love the name by which this person - whoever he/she is - signs himself/herself off. But I fear it might not be respectable enough to quote on this forum... :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

I'm reasonably sure that some of the residents on the road I cycle every day to the station fix some of the potholes in the road themselves, in particular those that they would otherwise hit when going in/out of their drive, because they get fed up of waiting for the council to fix them. This particular road gets very badly potholed every winter. This road can't be fixed by a standard resurfacing, because the problem is in the underlying structure, which is concrete. The concrete sub-base would have to be all dug out and the road relaid to fix it.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Just to balance out the posts on potholes, I have to say that in my area some of the lanes that have been badly surfaced over the 20 years I have been using them have been completely resurfaced over the last year, and it has been done to a good standard. Fifty metres from my home is NCN88 (Wick, Vale of Glamorgan), which is a minor road and has a lovely, smooth surface all the way down to the next village of Broughton, about 600 metres away. There are other lanes with poor surfaces nearby, but its good to celebrate the good things that happen.

The cloud on the horizon may be the prospect of high speed broadband coming to our area in the next year, which may mean bits of new tarmac being dug up for new cabling.
jezer

Post by jezer »

Several very quiet lanes around here have been resurfaced to a high standard in the last year or so. Lovely to ride on!
Power to the pedals
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

When a quiet lane is fully resurfaced it means either it became impossibly dangerous or some local bigwig lives on it :D
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

FillThatHole.oops
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Must be a local thing. Round here, those involved with road maintenance will tell you that they are basically just doing cheap patching, which isn't economic, as it falls to bits in no time.
They recently did some remedial work round here (Dropped gratings with inches-deep missing bits of tarmac round them) and the remedial work has left a terrible surface, so they are now arguing with the contractors about it. If the have to redo it, we'll have all the disruption all over again. And the gratings on the other side of the road still need doing, and are getting worse.
Some smaller rural roads local to me haven't been swept or cleaned for years, and the buildup of mud in the centres is growing grass. There are big cracks and potholes which you can't see when they are covered by the large puddles we also have as a result of drainage problems being left for years. Standing water is causing cracks in the tarmac when it freezes, and pneumatic damage when it isn't.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Flinders wrote:Must be a local thing. Round here, those involved with road maintenance will tell you that they are basically just doing cheap patching, which isn't economic, as it falls to bits in no time.
They recently did some remedial work round here (Dropped gratings with inches-deep missing bits of tarmac round them) and the remedial work has left a terrible surface, so they are now arguing with the contractors about it. If the have to redo it, we'll have all the disruption all over again. And the gratings on the other side of the road still need doing, and are getting worse.
Some smaller rural roads local to me haven't been swept or cleaned for years, and the buildup of mud in the centres is growing grass. There are big cracks and potholes which you can't see when they are covered by the large puddles we also have as a result of drainage problems being left for years. Standing water is causing cracks in the tarmac when it freezes, and pneumatic damage when it isn't.

It's the same where I live and within a 60 mile radius,the sheer stupidity of it would be hilarious if it weren't so tragic :evil: :evil: :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

I wouldn't have drawn them that way, but whatever.

As Freud once said "Not every cigar is a *****".
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

My little corner of the country, the repairs are often as dangerous (and uncomfortable) as the potholes themselves. You have to make sure you only report the really really bad ones otherwise the repaired road is worse. You have to ride watching for and avoiding holes and repairs.

And then sometimes they just surface dress the road, which means everything is the same colour and it is really hard to spot all the nasty bumps and hollows (which remain) plus you have loads of gravel to slide around on. And the gravel gets to build up on the bends and junctions so when you turn, you are suddenly trying to turn on lose small gravel. Or when a car tries to pass and you get forced to the side where there is a collection of gravel so control is somewhat harder, just when the car is at it's closest and you really, really don't want to come off then. I assume highways are not cyclists.

Ian
Ascidian

Post by Ascidian »

If he drew them inside the holes they'd be covered up by the repair.