Signs - Minutes or Mileage

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

Re: Signs - Minutes or Mileage

Post by foxyrider »

Tonyf33 wrote:
foxyrider wrote:There are some cycleroute signs in Handsworth, Sheffield that use time rather than distance - I'd post a pic but Streetview isn't new enough! Anyhow, the signage suggests Rotherham is 40 minutes and Meadowhall a mere 30 minutes. :)

Is that accurate or not?
Google maps gives a just over 4 mile distance to Meadowhall by road (a fair few minor roads not the car route) and a generous 10mph speed considering it's downhill all the way, is the signposted route suggested the one that goes all the way around the golf course?

From where the signs are i could by road in @ 15 minutes to M/hell, maybe 30 to Rotherham centre. The route they take you goes out around the airport then along the canal tow path, 30 minutes to 'hell would be about right, to Rotherham not sure which way they take you but i'm guessing something similar to Brinsworth so 40 mins quite doable. The return however is mostly uphill......
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Pete Owens

Re: Signs - Minutes or Mileage

Post by Pete Owens »

You are lucky if all you have to complain about is the unit of distance. Here in Warrington they can't even manage to arrange for them to point in the correct direction.