Queue Jumping cars at junctions

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
toomsie

Queue Jumping cars at junctions

Post by toomsie »

I find it hard to decide the best position at this junction. Sometime cars to avoid queing to turn right will and stop right on the cycle path position or if the lights are go jump right in front of the car at the traffic lights before it has a chance to start. Much of the time they will not see what is in front because view is blocked. One of those cars, over took me on the left cutting into my path. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.39778 ... b-e9cw!2e0
Last edited by Graham on 28 Apr 2015, 7:35am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling Queue
[XAP]Bob

Re: Que Jumping cars at junctions

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cars cutting right from the left hand lane? Assuming you are going straight on?

Normally I'd suggest that between the lanes is safest, as if the lights turn it puts you between divergent lanes of traffic, but if the cars are turning right from the left lane then care does need to be taken.

Technically the ASL entry point is far left, but from your description I'd be preparing to take up second position on the left lane unless the lights were clearly still green for another arm - allowing a full ASL position to be taken (middle of lane)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
toomsie

Re: Queue Jumping cars at junctions

Post by toomsie »

No, I was going right , taking the primary position on the right lane so the that have queued cannot over take. I could not stop cars in the left lane from turning right into my chosen path.
danhopgood

Post by danhopgood »

Blimey. I say you're doing the right thing - they're driving dangerously. Is there any way you can just avoid the junction? Seems a pretty horrible place to be on a bike to me. Failing that, my suggestion if you haven't already, would be to get bike cameras and just record events. If you do get knocked off - at least there'll be some evidence.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Try checking over your left shoulder as you set off? That should tell you if someone is turning from the wrong lane. Or maybe a mirror would be useful.

Is it something that happens frequently? If so, I would try to avoid that junction altogether.

There's no way to win in that kind of situation. The best you can do is be aware of it, and take avoiding action, if necessary.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
toomsie

Post by toomsie »

I was thinking the same thing. Many thanks