Non standard fitment!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bcc212

Re: Non standard fitment!

Post by bcc212 »

Well I have a few reservations which included the above and a few others.

Handlebar width felt better on the larger frame (440vs420).

Hit my toe with the front wheel when making a tight turn when riding.
bcc212

Post by bcc212 »

Oh and my ape index is 1.027 with a span of 190cm over a height of 185cm.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Handlebars come in different widths and are easily changed.

Road bikes often have toe overlap - a lot of people aren't bothered by it but it can be a deal breaker for some (including me).
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

You do of course realise that the Allez is a 'race style' bike? It is intended to give you a long low position, compared to say a Giant Defy or Trek 1 series the bars sit @ 3" lower".

One question i have to ask - you mentioned talking to the bike shop initially so why are you not buying from them?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

LollyKat wrote:Handlebars come in different widths and are easily changed.

Road bikes often have toe overlap - a lot of people aren't bothered by it but it can be a deal breaker for some (including me).

For small people like me who ride on bikes with full size wheels, toe-overlap is something that is just part of the cycling experience, I've never had a bike that didn't have it. And never actually had a problem with it, not once. I admit I don't do very sharp turns at low speeds, but I've managed for over 30 years....
As for ape count, I have long arms and back and very short legs. I can touch my toes dead easy, which suggests I'm flexible, but I'm not, I'm just built like an orangutan. Most manufacturers don't make bikes small enough for me at all, a situation which because much worse when saddle fixings changed some years ago and I could no longer reverse them to have the saddle sitting completely on the top tube. But I need a stem that pushes the bars well forward.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Flinders wrote:For small people like me who ride on bikes with full size wheels, toe-overlap is something that is just part of the cycling experience, I've never had a bike that didn't have it. And never actually had a problem with it, not once. I admit I don't do very sharp turns at low speeds, but I've managed for over 30 years....

Yes, that can be a problem with small bike sizes. And if you are used to it you will instinctively adjust your riding to cope. I've never had a bike with toe overlap and regularly have to do sharp turns at low speed. After 60 years, counting from my first ever bike, I'm quite sure I'd forget and go SPLAT if I had overlap! :lol:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I hate to say it but I'm a bit like Mick F :?
At a shade under 6' and 33 " inseam (whatever) I would not bee seen dead on a standard sized 56 cm.

Having said that TT length is more important, and a longer TT might mean better toe overlap.
Modern bikes tend to have shorter ST's compared with old road bikes for style and standover.

I have a long torso so you must have too, my worry would be to little reach unless you have a minus APE index.......................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.