Non standard fitment!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bcc212

Non standard fitment!

Post by bcc212 »

So, decided to go for a road bike and decided that I would like a specialized allez sport. Had a ride on a 56 and a 58. After which both the LBS and myself agreed that a 56cm would be best.

Sounds pretty normal until you realise that I'm 6ft 1 with a 33" inseam. Obviously everywhere 'guide wise' illustrates a 58 would be ideal for me. However, i feel like I can't get onto the hoods correctly on the 58.

Has anyone else got a history of riding bikes smaller than the wise Internet, or indeed manufacturers recommend?

Got to wait until the bike arrives, but I do feel a bit nervous about how I look on the bike. I don't want it to look like a clown bike.

I almost feel like cancelling the order and going for a 58 simply down to so many recommendations that a 56 would be too small.

What to do... What to do...
Mark1978

Non standard fitment!

Post by Mark1978 »

Who rides smaller bikes? Pro riders do. Often significantly smaller than you'd normally find.

The only real issue is that a small frame for a big rider may result in quite an aggressive position. Which is what the pros want; most people don't.

You say you couldn't reach the hoods; of course that doesn't mean the frame size is necessarily wrong. It just means the stem size is wrong which is easy to fix.
bcc212

Re: Non standard fitment!

Post by bcc212 »

Which is what the guy said to me. He said ideally you need a larger stem on the 56 and a smaller stem on the 58. Still at a loss as what to do?
bcc212

Post by bcc212 »

Another thing that was said was that the seat post on the 58 was almost inline with the bars. On the 56 it was lots higher.
Mark1978

Non standard fitment!

Post by Mark1978 »

How do you mean inline with the bars. You mean there wasn't as much seat post showing?

What do you mean about longer and shorter stems as in what mm? Stems should usually be about 90-110mm, not that saying outside this range is bad I run 70mm but then my frame is a little too big.
bcc212

Post by bcc212 »

Stem is 100mm on the 56 and 110on the 58. He said they could do with swapping.

My elbows also hit my knees in the drop.

Really confused as to what to do!
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

bcc212 wrote:Stem is 100mm on the 56 and 110on the 58. He said they could do with swapping.

That's going to effectively make no difference at all in the look or handling etc

My elbows also hit my knees in the drop.

That doesn't sound ideal?
bcc212

Post by bcc212 »

Indeed. I feel like I might cancel the order and return to the shop for a second fitment.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

bcc212 wrote:Indeed. I feel like I might cancel the order and return to the shop for a second fitment.

It doesn't mean the frame size is wrong of course. The bars could be moved up or the cranks may be too long or you need a shallower drop.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I'm an inch taller than you and ride a 58 but I have comparatively short legs. A bike shop owner once said to me, it's easy to make a small bike bigger but you can't make a big bike smaller. I wouldn't worry too much about having too much seat post showing, but you might find that the front end on the 56 is a bit low. That's fine if you want and aero position but not so good if it's not comfortable. Many on here would say that you need you bars at the same height as your saddle. Bars a bit lower is Ok but a lot lower might give you problems unless you are quite flexible and don't have back or neck problems.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Never buy a bike that's too big but there's no reason not to try a shorter stem. The one supplied is not an integral part of the bike frame, it's a fine tuning device. Personally (being longer legged) I tend to prefer a bigger frame which makes it easier to get the bars to the required height. As long as I can get the reach right with a shorter stem I am happy.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

We went down to St John Street so my wife could try a Thorn Raven.

The bike they brought out was far too small, and we commented. They said that we were wrong and that my wife's present bike was too big despite she has been using it happily or some four years

So off we went, not entirely happy. Within 5 minutes my wife was commenting on how comfy it was and by the time we got back after a couple of hours was in love with the smaller frame.

Ten years after she still reckons it is the most comfortable bike ever ... except for the recumbent trike
bcc212

Post by bcc212 »

Thanks for everyone's help so far. It's been an interesting read.

I put all my measurements into competitive cyclist's size finder and it also gave me a few fresh feelings agreeing that the 56 was too small.
james01

Post by james01 »

It's not always advisable to follow the standard fitting formula without certain reservations. For example, we all have a body-format in which we feel most relaxed. I've learned over the years that I dislike being fully extended and prefer to ride comparatively scrunched up (OK, I don't look very stylish :( ). Therefore I go for shorter top-tubes as long as I don't get into trouble with toe-clearance, and I can always put on a longer stem if I change my mind.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

bcc212 wrote:Sounds pretty normal until you realise that I'm 6ft 1 with a 33" inseam. Obviously everywhere 'guide wise' illustrates a 58 would be ideal for me. However, i feel like I can't get onto the hoods correctly on the 58.
What is your Ape Index?
Just coz you're tall it doesn't mean you have long legs, and you may also have short arms.

As a matter of interest, my span is 4" longer than my height of 5ft 9ins. I have an inside leg of 32ins.
Remember, I'm (only) 5ft 9ins ............... and I ride a 60cm frame.

Frame size is only a small part of the bike fit system.
Mick F. Cornwall