University Project (Charging Rucksack Concept)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
BigFoz

Re: University Project (Charging Rucksack Concept)

Post by BigFoz »

Having had a cowboy overtake / stop accident where I did severe damage to myself hitting said cowboy, I no longer use a rucksack at all if I can avoid it. That night I'd left my laptop at work, first time in months. The soft luggage (+ phone/ wallet / book) did enough damage to the back of my neck. A laptop added to the impact would highly likely have ended me. Now I use a rack / pannier to commute, and have equipped a bike specifically for that purpose.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

gaz wrote:I'm also not willing to use a rucksack to carry items whilst cycling.

You've suggested attaching the bag to a dynamo whilst you're riding to charge gadgets in the bag, I can't begin to imagine the amount of faffing about that will involve every time I get on and off the bike.

As the dragons would say - "I'm out."

... and the damage you did to the system the first time you put your leg over the saddle and ripped out all the wires
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Hi,
As Si says, serious commuting/touring cyclists going decent distances tend not to prefer rucksacks or else they are the curious type of sporty commuter riding in on a full on road or FS MTB bike which can't fit a rack. Unfortunately, the latter are seriously unlikely to have or consider dynamos.

I'm also not entirely convinced that having a wire running from dynamo to rucksack is a good idea from a safety perspective. If it gets caught on a branch, fellow cyclist's handlebar or passing motor vehicle's mirror then off you go or at least you pull the wires out. These kinds of things are also notoriously difficult to protect from water ingress.
dzsteven1

Post by dzsteven1 »

Hi guys, thanks very much for all the feedback! The negative feedback is just as useful as any positive so this is exactly what we were looking for! sorry I didn't reply any sooner, I didn't expect so many responses so quickly!
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

No reason why this couldn't be done via a Pannier - which, on a rack would provide better laptop protection. Push the boat out and put rucksack straps and removable hard back and the pannier can be used a rucksack too. Or maybe make the internal padding stiffish foam so it can be used both ways and be comfortable. Would also have the advantage of providing securable short run connections, which could be used on the rucksack with an extension cord...

I think I just designed charging bike luggage...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

dzsteven1 wrote:Hi guys, thanks very much for all the feedback! The negative feedback is just as useful as any positive so this is exactly what we were looking for! sorry I didn't reply any sooner, I didn't expect so many responses so quickly!

We're keen here ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

dzsteven1 wrote: we have to design a biking accessory.

How about a kit comprising a flexible solar panel with suitable eyelets and elastic cords with clips, of suitable size to be spread over a pair of full panniers or on top of a trailer, with a weatherproof connection to a regulator and charger which sits inside the pannier/trailer and can charge various batteries or with further connections charge batteries inside devices. I have thought of making such a thing from available parts, but have never made the effort: one ready made for the purpose, however ....
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

I think your laptop use case fails for three reasons:

1 - Inadequate power. A bike dynamo puts out about 0-4 watts depending on speed. How fast will that charge a laptop?

(Hint: full charge on an i-Phone should take about 2-3 hours. Laptop battery is about 3-4 times bigger.}

2 - Give me a narrative why someone would want to charge a laptop on a bicycle?

{Tablet?}

3 - As covered above, rucksacks for anything big highly risky.

Unfortunately general USB charging type setups are everywhere already. And the bikes accessory market is easy to enter, so most things have been tried.

Personally I use a USB plugin device which is mainly a AA/AAA battery charger, but has a button to turn it into a power pack. Cost £15. Sits in my bar bag, and I can use it to charge my phone or keep it running with a short cable.

What do I want - a Hornit that plays mp3 files, so I can have a horn sounding thing at 130db.

And a bluetooth handlebar switch so I can turn my rear light on without stopping.

Ferdinand
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I'm pleased the op came back! Most don't. [emoji4]Welcome. I like the idea of a pannier/solar panel/battery set up. I need to charge my iPhone and my GPS via my Dynamo but can't do both at the same time...b
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

For mechanical Gizmos, I want

A firm helmet mount for lights, cameras etc, which breaks off easily and quickly when I fall off and land on it, saving my head.

An automatic gearbox. Revisit old designs with new materials?

A dog cudgel for use in extremis which is very clearly something else when examined by the constabulary.

Perhaps some type of elegant helmet mount/lock for securing helmet to bike.

There nay be interest opportunities in the pedelec-oldster area.

My last comment.

F
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

ferdinand wrote:And a bluetooth handlebar switch so I can turn my rear light on without stopping.

No need for such a high-tech solution-- with a bottle dynamo mounted on the back wheel you can turn on both lights with a single kick of the heel! :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Or a hub Dynamo and never turn it off, or just a wire?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

LollyKat wrote:
ferdinand wrote:And a bluetooth handlebar switch so I can turn my rear light on without stopping.

No need for such a high-tech solution-- with a bottle dynamo mounted on the back wheel you can turn on both lights with a single kick of the heel! :D

[emoji38]
syklist

Post by syklist »

trull wrote:It would be good if they could design a good quality bike box suitable for air travel that cost less than 200quid.

Even better, design an plane that you can wheel your bike onto without having to partially dismantle the bike before stuffing it into a 100 quid box.

Failing that, design a pedal crank that comes off easily when you want it to but one that never works loose in normal use.

Failing that, design a system for loading luggage into planes that makes it impossible to damage anything.

I appear to be digressing... :roll:
So long and thanks for all the fish...
khain

Post by khain »

The dynamo-rucksack idea isn't really a goer I fear. You would need a wire running from the bike to the rucksack which is going to be inconvenient if not downright dangerous. In any case the main problems with using a dynamo as a charging solution are cost, drag, low output, and need to use an intermediary battery. The latter makes the rucksack idea redundant. Solving these problems is probably beyond the scope of a university project.

I'd be interested to see if a wind-powered battery charger would be any use on a bike. It would obviously be low output but the advantage over a dynamo is that the drag would decrease to negligible levels when climbing. The problem is obviously that you would need very small rotors but it might be possible to use several on the down tube. I don't know, just an idea.

Panniers that convert into a rucksack would be great for cycle touring. And a lightweight, folding pedal spanner would be very handy.