You either have or you don't.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
hondated

You either have or you don't.

Post by hondated »

I went out for a ride this morning over the South Downs and in my usual manner struggled up the hills. But on one of those hills I suddenly become aware of another cyclist about to overtake me. As I spotted him I noticed that he looked a bit older than me, he was not wearing cycling clothing but rather jogging bottoms and top and was riding a really old mountain bike. I only mention any of that to give you an image of the event and my real point is what a great cyclist he was.
As he overtook me on the hill at some speed I was standing up on my pedals and he was sat just twiddling away on his.
With a cheery " morning " as he passed me he disappeared up the road and at one point I thought I had caught up with him but on the next hill he just twiddled away and was gone again.

I was really hoping that he was going to stop at the same café as me as I was going to buy him a drink but sadly he didn't. If he had I was going to of cause probe him as to how he makes it look so easy and hopefully get some tips on how I can do the same.

Its probably the only time I ever wished I had been wearing a helmet cam because I could then have posted video of the event.

Anyone passing me when I am out on my bike is not an unusual event but its usually those younger wearing all the gear and on an expensive bike so its great to know that you don't need all of that because you've either got it or you haven't.
kwackers

Re: You either have or you don't.

Post by kwackers »

When I used to commute near 40 miles a day I was able to have lots of fun with roadies even when on my MTB.
Can't do that these days, my weekly mileage is probably only 40 miles.

IMO it's all to do with time in the saddle.
(Similarly last year I upped the mileage I run and got my 10k time down to 38 mins and half marathon to 1:25. One of the guys at the club said "for an old, fat bloke you're bloody quick!" (I'm 54 and 13 stone)).
gaz

Post by gaz »

There are people who ride faster than me, there are people who ride slower than me. Thus it ever was and thus I hope it ever will be.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Always watch out for the old guy on a steel bike. Cos much of the time he can drop you in a second if he so desires.
Si

Post by Si »

He was probably a Cat 1 racer who just dresses like that to go and have some 'sport' with us unsuspecting mortals :lol:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

maybe he died around the corner and fell into a ditch?
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

Si wrote:He was probably a Cat 1 racer . . .

Train heavy, race light!

I was once overtaken uphill by a man who I estimate was at least in his 70s. "You're making it look like hard work . . . " he said as he disappeared into the distance.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

You got FCN'd.. :lol: 8)
Using your starting point you can roughly work out how many trackie suit/MTB man gained by passing you..
1. Scooters
2. Roadies with shaved legs – like girls
3. Proper rapid Single speed (real men, messengers, tarty shiny fixies)
4. Roadies with hairy legs – like men
5. Faux Single Speeds (fakengers, dirty/functional bikes, silly egg beater gear)
6. Touring Bikes (Mud Guards)
7. “Fast Hybrids”
8. MTBs on Skinnies
9. MTBs on Nobbies
10. Bromptons / collapsing bikes
11. MTB full sus on Nobbies
12. Shoppers
13. Shoppers with wicker baskets

Adjusters
Clothing; None: +3
Non-Cycling: +2
Baggies: +1
Lycra: 0
Team Kit: -1
TDF Jersey: -2

Lugagge: Panniers: +1
Back Pack/Courier: 0
Nothing: -1

Face-Mask: +1
Helmets/Nothing/Sunglasses: 0
Bike Caps /Wrap arounds: -1
Herman’s Safety Wing (orange plastic lolly-pop): +2
Trailer: +2
Child Seat: +1 each x Number of
Beard: +1
Power meter: -1
Aerobars: -1
Lower values for those starting on FCN 9-14 / Higher numbers for FCN 2-8 (see note at the top):
Flats: +1/+2
Toe Clips: 0/+1
Evidently Clipless/spds (cycling shoes): -1/0
hondated

Post by hondated »

Thanks Tony there is a lot of detail there but basically I just a rubbish cyclist really.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Many years ago when I commuted to work on a trike I regularly caught a slow moving older rider who was almost at retiring age as he slowly pushed a low gear up a drag. During one of our short conversations he said he would love a trike but his wife said they are only for old men!

Now I am that old man, well past retiring age,trike gone and being passed by just about everyone.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

hondated wrote:Thanks Tony there is a lot of detail there but basically I just a rubbish cyclist really.

Rubbish? Because others are faster? That doesn't make you a rubbish cyclist. Going fast doesn't make someone a good cyclist, unless they're racing.

There are a few people who pass me most days on my commute when the weather is nice. I never see them when it's grotty. Or in the winter. So who is better?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

hondated wrote:Thanks Tony there is a lot of detail there but basically I just a rubbish cyclist really.

Not true, you're cycling ergo you're not rubbish at all, there are always faster and fitter, that's life, putting a smile on and just being abe to accept it is more than half the battle IMO.
I've gone downhill over the last 12 years or so, I'm okay in (very) short bursts but the body just says no (for various reasons)..I'm not that old either.

I give it a dig and ride hard & try to get out as often as I can, some weeks not at all but I'm at peace with the fact I'm never going to be a 'fast' cyclist. I don't think I ever was even when I was 'fit', (rugby league forwards don't do too well on the hilly stuff & it gets worse when you get fat and old :lol: ) I'm just happy I can say I am a cyclist :)
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Vorpal wrote:

Rubbish? Because others are faster? That doesn't make you a rubbish cyclist. Going fast doesn't make someone a good cyclist, unless they're racing.

There are a few people who pass me most days on my commute when the weather is nice. I never see them when it's grotty. Or in the winter. So who is better?

Quite, fair weather cyclists, it does make me chortle, not that I'm judging or anything.. 8) :lol:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Tonyf33 wrote:Quite, fair weather cyclists, it does make me chortle, not that I'm judging or anything.. 8) :lol:

I don't mind fair weather cyclists. I just wish they'd find their own spot in the bike racks at the station - a spot I use all year round... ;)
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

I remember when I was in my early twenties I used to do a twenty five mile charity bike ride on the east side of Carlisle. Some people used to treat it as a ride, some as a race. I fell into the latter category - racing against time (and occasionally my younger brother). I used to set off from the back of the field and the organisers would set people off in groups of about fifty at twenty to thirty second intervals - this meant that I was about seven or eight minutes behind the leaders. I'd usually finish in the top ten though.

Anyway, was whizzing along one year on my road bike with all the gear on when this fella on a sit up and beg bike passed me. He was wearing a flat cap, a Barbour jacket, baggy trousers and wellies. He was probably the same age as me. Now it could be that he was just cycling along a 100 yard section of road but I was still amazed at how effortless he made it look.