Pannier question

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: Pannier question

Post by mjr »

Aerodynamics make a difference out here in the fens. Panniers are often as aero as an sail. So I prefer rack-top, handlebar and saddle bags, baskets and collapsable panniers to the rigid panniers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

fluffybunnyuk wrote:but i do know my dynamo drags more than 20-30kg of pannier+tent weight ie 28ft in every mile roughly isnt it? so thats still not a huge amount of drag.

You should probably get a new dynamo then :P

How much weight? Glad I'm not lumping that lot around :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

i think thats the difference between me and fat commuter. i avoid riding hard until im up to speed.im very careful about gear ratio and my knees preferring higher cadence and lower gear. i start off from traffic lights about 40 inches working up to 63 inches. i find higher ratios not worth the drag unless i have a following wind when i can hit 80 inches.

if you need to ride hard maybe the backpack is better.

20-30kg is quite light. tent+cooking gear+clothes+sleeping gear+food+entertainment+bike spares. the nasty one is water...i usually try to lug 4-8 litres (1kg=1litre) on top back to the campsite.

as mjr said the fens is evil... theres nothing like a fens wind, and bad road surface after a long day to heighten the dispirited feeling.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

The fat commuter wrote:I think that I'm getting more used to the panniers now. After the first few days of using the bike with panniers, my knees hurt. They're getting better now but I have been doing some of the exercises that the physio recommended a few years back.

My riding style is that I tend to ride hard. I never get out of the saddle when riding, even when going uphill. When I leave the lights, I am hard on the pedals and will keep accelerating until I am travelling at a comfortable speed. I think that the panniers are making a difference to this initial acceleration - and mainly just the moving off from rest - say zero to five mph. It's similar if I'm riding at, say, 10 mph. Put on a spurt of speed and that jump from 10 to 13 (ish) isn't as instant - the bike feels much more rigid.

I may try the rucksack again for a day or two - see what it is that I prefer (or not).

Thanks for all the input.

Sorry if this is a daft suggestion, as I don't know how you gear,and you'll almost certainly be fitter than me. But when I carry a heavy load on the bike in panniers (including sometimes in the region of 5 pounds of camera gear and/or even a paintbox and easel), I drop a gear or two lower than I generally would before stopping, helps me get going after, and helps me keep balanced when starting up.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

fluffybunnyuk wrote:something else i thought of .. i use a touring bike which seems a bit longer than other bikes, maybe it helps with weight displacement. i know its designed to carry loads so actually is "a little wobbly" unloaded. cant say for shorter bikes.
but i do know my dynamo drags more than 20-30kg of pannier+tent weight ie 28ft in every mile roughly isnt it? so thats still not a huge amount of drag.

Depends on the dynamo - but a decent hub dynamo will be less than that (assuming a 100kg total load at 15 mph IIRC)
Lighter rigs and or slower riders will suffer more for the dynamo.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Flinders wrote:Sorry if this is a daft suggestion, as I don't know how you gear,and you'll almost certainly be fitter than me.
:lol: I wouldn't be so sure.

Flinders wrote:But when I carry a heavy load on the bike in panniers (including sometimes in the region of 5 pounds of camera gear and/or even a paintbox and easel), I drop a gear or two lower than I generally would before stopping, helps me get going after, and helps me keep balanced when starting up.

When I put my new back wheel on last year, I got a new cassette to go with it. It's an 11-32, seven speed. I think the original was an 11 - 28. When I set off from the lights, I'm usually on the middle front ring and the second sprocket on the back. I get a few revolutions of the pedals before changing up. The difference between sprocket 1 and sprocket 2 is quite large and I think that sprocket 1 will be too low a gear. Going onto the smallest chainring would mean a very quick change up to the middle ring just after setting off. I do need to put a new cassette and chain on - I will likely go back to 11 - 28.

I am wondering whether the reason for the deadness of the bike with the panniers is because when the load is on my back, I can use my arms slightly. Maybe I rock slightly back and forth as I pedal hard so that on a down stroke the backpack moves back by a few inches - making the bike feel more sprightly.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It is very likely
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.