Stafford > Newport (Shrops) cycleway

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Flinders

Stafford > Newport (Shrops) cycleway

Post by Flinders »

I said I'd post when I'd cycled the new bit that finally connects this all up. (It is an old railway)

Upside:
The new bit, which connects the end section in Shropshire with the rest from Stafford that previously went beyond Gnosall and just stopped, is wider than the rest. Two cyclists could comfortably potter along two abreast if the path was clear (you could do this on the Shropshire bit, but that is a bit narrower). It has a surface of fairly small gravel, not as smooth as clay, but not bad. I tried it up to 15mph, at which point it got a bit bumpy, as if there were slight lateral ridges, but it wasn't bad even on my bike which has 23c HP tyres and an aluminium frame. I suspect it will pack down.
This overall means that from Stafford to Newport, you only have to cross a tiny minor road on the flat, and come off the track once, and that's at Gnosall where the bridge has gone. You have to drop down from the embankment, cross the road at a cycle crossing with lights, and go back up. The Stafford side isn't too bad, the Newport side is a mess, steep, loose gravel with a nasty hairpin half way up.
I did the Haughton>Newport section only. Unless it has been resurfaced since I last used it, be warned that the surface at the other end between Derrington and Stafford is like ballast, doable but very uncomfortable on a road bike.
I had a lovely ride on my section, primroses,shady trees just starting to come out a lot of the way, silver birches etc. Some bits it was like riding in a wood (for some reason they have put little bends in bits of it). Benches to stop at, even picnic tables between Gnosall and Newport, and at the get-on point at Haughton where you can park a car if you want to start from there as a visitor. There is a point where you can access the canal towpath.

Downside:
The path dumps you on the A41 outside Newport, and after that is badly signed or not signed at all.
You have to swing left on a tarmac-ed section towards a nasty roundabout when you come off the track, and you have to cross the A41 close to the roundabout itself. Heavy and fast-moving traffic makes this difficult, though there is a central refuge. A very kind driver stopped to let me across on my way back, thank you, sir!:D

Once over the road, the tarmac path swings you right into an industrial estate and dumps you there with no signage. If you followed road signs, you'd have to return to the main Telford road and cross it (no fun) and then cycle along it to the next roundabout, and turn right into Newport (absolutely no fun at all, as this is a very fast road). However, I asked a local, and if you carry on through the industrial estate, straight on at the little roundabout, and carry on, buses and cycles can get into the town centre. You cross a chicane with bollards and then take the second left to the main street. Turn left on the main street if you want the excellent 2nd hand bookshop and are feeling up to cycling back with a pile of books in your rackpack :mrgreen: , right for the main drag.
Last edited by Flinders on 23 Apr 2015, 4:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flinders

Re: Stafford > Newport (Shrops) cycleway

Post by Flinders »

Managed to double post, sorry.
essexian

Post by essexian »

I did the Haughton to the Derrington section last week and they have done some "improvements" just before the now closed Red Lion pub in Derrington. However, the improvements mean simply widening the path to around 3m but not putting down a new top surface making it quite nasty to cycle on using 28mm tyres. The rest of the path into Stafford was really nasty for road bikes last time I used it so I tend to avoid it going around via the back road from Doxey.

As a path its really a rather useful way of getting between Stafford and Newport as it avoids the nasty A518 and the small hills between Gnosall and Newport which some "family" riders might find a bit difficult. At approximately 13 miles each way, its also quite a nice day out for families: there are pubs and a chip shop in Gnosall and a "burger bar" in the car park at the Newport end.

My two grumbles about the path are that "they" tend not to do much in the way of cutting back the vegetation meaning in places the path is only a metre wide and secondly, there are too many Strava segments on the route. Given that its used my walkers, dog walkers and families out for a simple Sunday cycle, its not suitable for setting a fastest time on!

Finally.... if you are interested in riding the path and like raising money for a good cause... Katherine House Hospice are using the path next Sunday for a 20 mile fund raising event. There are also rides of 45 miles and 60 miles available. If my leg heals in time I'll be doing the 45 miler.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

essexian wrote:I did the Haughton to the Derrington section last week and they have done some "improvements" just before the now closed Red Lion pub in Derrington. However, the improvements mean simply widening the path to around 3m but not putting down a new top surface making it quite nasty to cycle on using 28mm tyres. The rest of the path into Stafford was really nasty for road bikes last time I used it so I tend to avoid it going around via the back road from Doxey.

As a path its really a rather useful way of getting between Stafford and Newport as it avoids the nasty A518 and the small hills between Gnosall and Newport which some "family" riders might find a bit difficult. At approximately 13 miles each way, its also quite a nice day out for families: there are pubs and a chip shop in Gnosall and a "burger bar" in the car park at the Newport end.

My two grumbles about the path are that "they" tend not to do much in the way of cutting back the vegetation meaning in places the path is only a metre wide and secondly, there are too many Strava segments on the route. Given that its used my walkers, dog walkers and families out for a simple Sunday cycle, its not suitable for setting a fastest time on!

Finally.... if you are interested in riding the path and like raising money for a good cause... Katherine House Hospice are using the path next Sunday for a 20 mile fund raising event. There are also rides of 45 miles and 60 miles available. If my leg heals in time I'll be doing the 45 miler.

It was customers at the 'burger bar' who gave me directions into Newport. :mrgreen:
The A518 is indeed nasty. My main road route to Newport from where I live in the sticks is va Gnosall and Merton on the way out (and Lilleshall if I fancy having a break at the Abbey) and Weston Jones, High Offley and Woodseaves to Great Bridgeford on the way back. Much hillier than the cycleway, and a good few miles longer, but a nice round trip, and midweek midday it is usually pretty quiet most of the route. Newport>Woodseaves road is one I avoid like the plague. As is the Bridgeford to Stafford road, which has a bad surface and where two lorries crossing often clunk each others' wing mirrors even if there are no bikes around. It's safer via Seighford.