I rode off-road - fun, finding routes and how do you dress

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
samsbike

I rode off-road - fun, finding routes and how do you dress

Post by samsbike »

Last weekend I went on my very first sportive and I guess I was attracted more by the off road bits, not having done any before.

I must say I enjoyed it. Usually I hate the stuff, we have woods near us and although I have taken the mtb there I just don't enjoy the mud, getting dirty etc. But this was different, some bits were technical, some bits were better to walk, and there was gravel. And with all the dry weather there was very little mud. I was also riding my pseudo cross bike, so relatively fat tires, discs and mudguards.

I can see the benefit of riding a bit of road, turning off somewhere for some bridlepath or into the woods for light off roading and riding home. I realise that a few of you do it anyway, Colin and John spring to mind but I guess my question is do how do you find these routes and work out what will work and what will not?

Also I did this helmet less, do you wear a helmet or not (not a debate but yes or no).

thanks
Vorpal

Re: I rode off-road - fun, finding routes and how do you dre

Post by Vorpal »

I find routes just by exploring, and riding with other cyclists. Sometimes, after work, I take a little extra time and go someplace I've never gone before. Some of these places are roads or bridleways that I've seen and thought, 'that looks nice. I'll have to try it sometime'. Some are ones that I've found on a map, and thought I should try to explore.

The best routes, though, I've learned from other cyclists.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

OS maps show all the bridleways, work it out from there. Often take copies of map sections and my smartphone for spot gps location. Loose tee shirt with long sleeves, mountain tights essential to prevent bramble injuries, mtb clip in shoes. Having fallen off many times and twice right over the bars my helmet has saved me from injury again and again.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Vorpal wrote:I find routes just by exploring, and riding with other cyclists. Sometimes, after work, I take a little extra time and go someplace I've never gone before. Some of these places are roads or bridleways that I've seen and thought, 'that looks nice. I'll have to try it sometime'. Some are ones that I've found on a map, and thought I should try to explore.

The best routes, though, I've learned from other cyclists.

Unfortunately my commute home is through London which is no fun and I despise the canal path.

I just need to find something around NWLondon and Bucks that has a reasonable loop.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

For routes, you just can't beat "local knowledge".....that means if you can't find a "local" who knows, you just gotta go look for yourself.....and the tracks change with the season, and with the years.
magic hats?...not for me, thanks.
OS map? absolutely.....I prefer 2 1/2" these days.....even shows you which side of the wall/hedge the path is. You can cycle on bridlepaths, byways, restricted byways, "white" roads....and I go on the ones (with green blobs on 2 1/2") which are "right of way, but we haven't decided exactly which right of way just now".
.....Al is your Chilterns man.....local knowledge.....?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

samsbike wrote:Last weekend I went on my very first sportive and I guess I was attracted more by the off road bits, not having done any before.

I must say I enjoyed it. Usually I hate the stuff, we have woods near us and although I have taken the mtb there I just don't enjoy the mud, getting dirty etc. But this was different, some bits were technical, some bits were better to walk, and there was gravel. And with all the dry weather there was very little mud. I was also riding my pseudo cross bike, so relatively fat tires, discs and mudguards.

I can see the benefit of riding a bit of road, turning off somewhere for some bridlepath or into the woods for light off roading and riding home. I realise that a few of you do it anyway, Colin and John spring to mind but I guess my question is do how do you find these routes and work out what will work and what will not?

Also I did this helmet less, do you wear a helmet or not (not a debate but yes or no).

thanks

Ahhh good ole OS maps, and hours spent pouring over them discovering bridleways that would link up a route / make a logical route on a through route to somewhere..... and hearing of such classics as The Ridgeway (but beware if you do not like mud, spent a weekend up to my bottom bracket in it one wet spring).
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I will echo what others have said, that is an OS map "Explorer" 2 & 1/2 " to a mile series which show very good detail.
Then go explore.

As for helmet forgetting any safety claims, if it has a peak keeps the sun out of your eyes and deflects the flies too, will keep your head pretty dry when raining.

Edit for grammar :?
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 19 Apr 2015, 10:16am, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

No helmet for me but my off roading is very leisurely not a high adrenaline activity. I don't go pushing limits seeing how fast I can go.

The 2 1/2 inch maps Colin refers to are OS's Explorer (1:25000 scale) maps. The less detailed but covering a larger area OS Landranger (1:50000) also show all classes of rights of way. Unfortunately being legally permitted to cycle somewhere doesn't mean that the surface is suitable for cycling - Finding and exploring routes from a map can be great fun but it really is trial and error.

The other option, as Colin says, is local knowledge. Chances are some local cyclists know all the local routes inside out. I see that there is a Home Counties section of the Rough Stuff Fellowship which doesn't look too active from the website (http://www.rsf.org.uk/local-groups/home-counties.html) but may be worth contacting them for information on routes or even to join.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Don't overlook Google Earth. Not knocking maps in any way, but with G E you can get an overview of an area from a great height then sometimes, as you zoom in, you start to see lines going in promising directions...
Just one way of generating ideas to check out - using maps!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Ouutside of local knowledge, nothing beats trial and error. Use the OS maps as others have said and then go exploring. Some will be unrideable and some will be great fun, some are just for good weather and some for when its wet. But over time you'll build up a collection of tracks you can string together to make up your rides. I take the good bits and mark them on my OS map with a highlighter and still try to explore new bits whenever I go out. And no magic hat. A cycle cap does the sun, rain, sweat and flies duty if necessary, but normally not even that. Enjoy.
pwa

Post by pwa »

As well as all the suggestions already made, most nationally owned forestry (I used to say Forestry Commission, but maybe the name has changed) has extensive cycling rights. You just have to respect the signs that warn of tracks being closed for felling.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

531colin wrote:For routes, you just can't beat "local knowledge".....that means if you can't find a "local" who knows, you just gotta go look for yourself.....and the tracks change with the season, and with the years.
magic hats?...not for me, thanks.
OS map? absolutely.....I prefer 2 1/2" these days.....even shows you which side of the wall/hedge the path is. You can cycle on bridlepaths, byways, restricted byways, "white" roads....and I go on the ones (with green blobs on 2 1/2") which are "right of way, but we haven't decided exactly which right of way just now".
.....Al is your Chilterns man.....local knowledge.....?

I am just North of Reading, too far out from Sam I think. There are several MTB rides a week organised by Reading CTC which are very good, mostly to the North in the Chilterns. There are CTC groups in NW London and they doubtless also have off road rides. Its just a matter of giving the Hon Sec a ring to explore possibilities. And, choose your preferred area and buy a £7 OS Explorer map of it. It will show all the bridleways.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Cheers North Reading is a bit far out. The LBS does mtb rides but that is not really what I want, will get the OS maps.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Like some others here although I do off road stuff as well as including it in my training courses.
I am not finding any need to go out purely MTBing on a particular course or with anyone else either.
I am not criticising any comment here but you can enjoy very much just going off on your own with a map or device and explore.

Of course you need to get out of the concrete jungle first.
Take a day off and get some transport to another area, studying maps / net stuff for info first and go and explore, the worst I get at the end of a long day in failing light is lumping my camp laden hack over a tall wooden gate downhill on a public right of way :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

samsbike wrote:Cheers North Reading is a bit far out. The LBS does mtb rides but that is not really what I want, will get the OS maps.

This may be a bit far out too...http://www.rideastonhill.co.uk/ Personally I dont like places like this because they are not natural, but it might be an option?

I use a yellow highlighter pen on a copy of the OS map to highlight the bridleways, then routes seem to spring out at you. Of course there will be some road sections too to make up a loop.

Guess this is the sort of thing you are looking for...

ImageSalsa Vaya by Alyrpal, on Flickr

Al