fewer motorists fined for mobile use

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Flinders

Re: fewer motorists fined for mobile use

Post by Flinders »

iviehof, I have been ticketed for obstruction when parking when I wasn't, and could prove it - the police action was part of some intimidation against a particular group, whose activities I was just there to photograph. The police wouldn't even accept my complaint about it.

However, I still think there ought to be automatic serious penalties when it is proven that someone used a mobile phone whilst driving.

I've had a copper lie to my face about where his own car was parked, and then when we both looked round, there it was. Not where he had said it was. He still wouldn't back down. Undoubtedly some police officers are lying toads, but phone records are definitive.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

kwackers wrote:I saw that. Good on them! I'm fed up with folk who think they can park wherever they like with impunity and then whine like a girl when they get a ticket.
The reality is that whilst not long ago parking companies were extracting the urine it's gone too far the other way now.

I take your point but is the sexist comparison necessary?
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Flinders wrote:What kind of moron feels the need to text people every few minutes anyway?

All too often a moron with a driving licence and a car.

Commuting by bike, I know that in any queue of traffic at a busy junction during rush-hour approximately one driver in ten will be staring intently at their crotch - if they're not blatantly holding the phone while texting. I saw one chap yesterday using both hands to play some sort of video game on his smartphone while paused at the lights!

Studies show that texting while driving is at least 6 times more dangerous than driving over the alcohol limit - yet drink-driving nets you an instant ban and is socially unacceptable, texting while driving is largely ignored and *if* you're prosecuted, it's 3 points on the licence. Sends out entirely the wrong message.

As others have said, all it needs is one PC with a camera to walk up and down a line of queueing traffic to generate instant prosecutions; that the Police don't do it tells you where their priorities lie.