A recommended book for every Cyclist

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
toomsie

A recommended book for every Cyclist

Post by toomsie »

I have to recommend this book. Cyclecraft. After looking on the internet( mainly Youtube ) I have failed to find any significant advice for good cycling, especially for the UK. Youtube link is worth watching. https://www.youtube.com/user/sillycyclists
Before the book I was always be a careful cyclist. I use lights in the daytime including one on the helmet. I thought about going without a helmet because apparently it makes drivers keep their distance overtaking.

What I like about this book is it give a lot of in-depth information about different kinds of junction on the road including how to approach them. The main thing that I have learned is to cycle too close to carb. On a quiet road, I will drive in the primary position on the road. If a car comes up behind me, I will let him pass when it is safe, ‘not to soon and not to late’. No driver has got annoyed or in patient. I actually feel much safer on the road and get to my destination much quicker also.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ ... cyclecraft
Si

Re: A recommended book for every Cyclist

Post by Si »

The main thing that I have learned is to cycle too close to carb.

Think you might be missing a 'not' in there?
And it looks like your auto-spell corrector is playing silly billies with 'kerb' :wink:

Yep, of the publications available it's the one that I've tended to point people towards. Although, recently talking to a cycle training organisation and they were suggesting that the latest edition is starting to veer away from National Standards - thus I must get around to reading a new one to see what the differences are.
Si

Re: A recommended book for every Cyclist

Post by Si »

stuff about plastic hats moved to: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=95943 please conduct further debate on the subject there not here. Thank you.