Route from Bala to Dolgellau advice.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Easy Rider

Route from Bala to Dolgellau advice.

Post by Easy Rider »

Hi all,

Im looking to do a few days riding and one of the legs is Llangollen to Barmouth. Most of the route is fine apart from the section between Bala and Dolgellau. As far as i can see there is only one way and thats across the A4212 and down the A470. Im viewing google maps and it is showing tracks across from Bala to Coed y Brenin but could anybody tell me if these are tarmac or bridleways as i want to stay off busy roads.

Thanks for any help :>)
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Route from Bala to Dolgellau advice.

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

There's some lovely surfaced minor roads to the east of Coed y Brenin. Hilly but you'd expect that! Head south down the east shore of Bala Lake. Route: http://cycle.travel/map/journey/11540 - click on the roads, then 'View photos', to see what they look like.

Part of it is signposted as a regional cycle route. But don't follow NCN 82 through Coed y Brenin unless you're on a pretty burly bike (hybrid at least) - that one is a bit rough!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

My suggestion - from Bala along the south side of the lake to Llanuwchllyn, then you just cross the A-road and go over the hills, up to 1743 feet towards Trawsfynydd, (turn left before T) through Coed-y-Brenin, south towards Llanelltyd, after Dolgellau you can cycle on the old railway track on the south side of the estuary, then across Barmouth bridge. Or if you have a lot of energy you can leave Dolgellau by Cader Road, up to the perfect double lakes above Arthog, steep down to A and over the bridge. Almost all on "yellow" roads as shown on the OS maps.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Easy Rider

Post by Easy Rider »

Super. Thats me sorted. The photos look perfect.

Thanks very much :>)
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

As A roads go, that stretch to Dolly from the west end of Lake Bala is pretty good outside peak season. Often quietish, smooth tarmac, no steep sections and wide for much of it's length. It can be done in about an hour IIRC.