Another truck / cyclist incident in the capital

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

Another truck / cyclist incident in the capital

Post by foxyrider »

Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vantage

Re: Another truck / cyclist incident in the capital

Post by Vantage »

Condolences to her family :(

I had a HGV sneak up behind me yesterday at some lights as we were waiting to go. It was of those gigantic Renault things, 2 feet to my right and the bumper level with my back wheel axle. No way could the driver have seen me if they'd moved early. This is despite me taking central position on the lane.
Had a tipper truck almost suck me under it's wheels as it passed doing easily 50mph on a downhill stretch coming home from the ride too.
They just won't learn :(
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Vantage wrote:Condolences to her family :(
Yes, condolences.
FIFTH this year! :shock:

I do wonder about the reporting of these tragic incidents.
The woman collided with the HGV
Should they not have said that she was run over by an HGV?

"Collided" seems (to me at least) that the bicycle and the HGV inadvertently crashed into one another ........ or at least the bicycle hit the HGV.
Mick F. Cornwall
nez

Post by nez »

Youre right. People are mealy mouthed about it
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

Again :-(
Vmlopes

Post by Vmlopes »

Mick F wrote:
Yes, condolences.

"Collided" seems (to me at least) that the bicycle and the HGV inadvertently crashed into one another ........ or at least the bicycle hit the HGV.

And another woman, such a sad thing to read
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:
Yes, condolences.

Sue for libel? You can say they "were in a collision", but to say that "a collided with b" is an active voice, and is therefore a sentence with a subject and an object.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
nez

Post by nez »

Let's not do grammar Bob. It's too serious and we don't want her relations stumbling over it. Best
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

This is another one on front page of Evening Standard today

"Banned Truck driver admits killing cyclist"
"A lorry driver with a cavalier lack of respect for the law is facing jail for killing a cyclist after jumping a red light...Trucker barry Meyer had been banned 5 times and was not licensed to be driving the tipper lorry that crushed Alan Neve to death at Holborn in 2013... He yesterday admitted to causing death by careless driving - after 2 years of denial"

if u want to read about this monster -

http://i.imgur.com/tcYu1WZ.jpg

About time the law was changed to make this equivalent to murder and life in prison so they can only be let out under licence and sent back if if they so much as cross a double white line? Also this should apply to who ever employs them - no excuses allowed.

A friend of mine IN A CAR was smashed up a few yearsago as a lorry driver smashed into the passenger seat turning from a side road without looking - she had broken every thing & lucky to be alive and it took a very long time to recover - the lorry driver was also put into prison.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

nez dans le guidon wrote:Let's not do grammar Bob. It's too serious and we don't want her relations stumbling over it. Best

The media had started to use the passive voice, but they seem to have reverted to the active, and almost certainly reversed the subject and object. It is prejudicial in the extreme, as MickF's comment raised.

I can't think of another way to actually ram it home to them that this was probably a person going about their normal daily routine - going to work, to the shops, to college...

It does seem that the BBC have done their traditional silent edit - almost as if publishing *something* is better than having an editor read over it first...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Once again it's a tipper truck,once again the cyclist is a woman.It's an unfortunate pattern that's developed in the capital and causes one to ask why that is?

I offer my condolences to the family.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The opening lines from the linked report:-

A cyclist has been killed in a collision with a tipper lorry in central London.
The 55-year-old woman was struck by the HGV near the junction of Horseferry Road and Millbank, close to Lambeth Bridge, at 09:30 BST.

That doesn't seem to put the blame on the cyclist
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

5 in just over 3 months :cry: ...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

eileithyia wrote:5 in just over 3 months :cry: ...

Not including deaths in other places. Or injuries or near misses which amazingly don't result in loss of life. :(
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!