Accident Tue 7 Apr 18:00 Uddingston

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bobbyg

Re: Accident Tue 7 Apr 18:00 Uddingston

Post by bobbyg »

Yeah this Bellshill roundabout is the one I go through on my commute - I cycle from Holytown to the centre of Glasgow.
The two main areas that concern me are
1. this roundabout (more so on return leg when I am going 3/4 of the way round it past the on and off slip to the A725
2. The section at the bottom of Uddingston between there and the old zoo where its 70mph dual carriageway, vehicles fighting for access to the onslips to the M73 / M74 and with an overhead bridge above a bend that can make you disappear as a cyclist if not wearing hi-vis etc.

Ironically, yesterday when I was cycling in, at this stretch I thought I would try going along the "pavement". Big mistake - nearly came off the bike as the surface has been pretty much lost in a pile of road silt, mud, salt etc. Was actually very dangerous on a hybrid bike so it will be back to the road for me!
macotheisles

Post by macotheisles »

The power of CTC! After my comment about the lack of road markings a few days ago, they have suddenly appeared on the roundabout. All hail CTC!
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

People should stick to speed limits, look out all the time for cyclists and pedestrians and everything and should generally be better people.

Well it was worth a try.
pwa

Post by pwa »

"Better people" would seem to be the answer to a lot of things.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Elizabeth_S wrote:Nope, that's the Keir roundabout! I hate it in a car, there's nothing like coming up the old A9 from Bridge of Allan and going around the Keir roundabout to the Dunblane turn off the B8033, which is dual carriageway , you come around the roundabout and spot the traffic heading south on the A9 towards the roundabout down a hill, you have to pass straight in front if it and does it brake, does it ever! And that's the lorries. For those of you who don't know, it is at the end of the A9 and start of the M9.

Although it's a long way from my regular haunts, I know that roundabout very well (didn't know it was called the Keir R/b though) having driven across it many times, never cycled, and I'm inclined to agree with you! My son who's lived in the Stirling area for some years, knows it even better, he often passes it cycling in the Doune and Callander direction, says he takes a long detour to avoid the roundabout. But apparently that's not an option for people cycling towards Dunblane, they have to take on all the A9 traffic as you say. It's a shame because at another busy roundabout on the old A9, at Stirling Bridge a few miles south, there's a quite serviceable network of cycle paths enabling you to avoid the roundabout itself. Bearing in mind that this is a major route into the Highlands, for cyclists as well as other road users, you'd have thought something could be provided at Keir....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).