Accident Tue 7 Apr 18:00 Uddingston

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bobbyg

Accident Tue 7 Apr 18:00 Uddingston

Post by bobbyg »

I am a commuter cyclist and when cycling into Glasgow from Bellshill I regularly give a nod to a fellow cyclist going the opposite direction.

On way home last night I saw that there had been an accident just at the access slip road to the M73 Northbound in Uddingston and it looked like there was a cyclist involved and I suspect it may have been him.

Its a long shot I know but just wondering if by chance anyone on here has heard, or knows of, or can advise me how he is?
JimL

Re: Accident Tue 7 Apr 18:00 Uddingston

Post by JimL »

I live in the area and haven't heard anything so hopefully no news is good news.
bobbyg

Post by bobbyg »

Passed the spot this morning and there was a large pool of dried blood on the road. Reckon the guy must have been thrown at least 10-15 metres in the air if the accident happened right on the junction.

Nearly involved in one myself tonight approaching Bellshill - a Wincanton lorry came off the A725 straight onto the roundabout without stopping and obviously had not seen me on my upright hybrid with hivis on. I had to slam on the anchors, swerve and even then the lorry passed just at the end of my handlebars.

A split second later and I would have been under the wheels.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

There is nothing on the news sites or google so in spite of the pool of blood it can't have been serious.....can it?
bobbyg

Post by bobbyg »

Lets hope not, fingers crossed.
macotheisles

Post by macotheisles »

This is my area too and I haven't heard anything about it either so hopefully not as bad as it might seem. Talking of the nearby A725 roundabout this really is Russian Roulette on a bike. I cross it in the mornings just before 7am and in the afternoon just before 4pm. Cars, HGVs, busses and vans tend to accelerate to dual-carriage way speeds on the roundabout before hitting the slip roads onto the A725 beneath. I have almost been hit from behind on at least 4 occasions in recent months by vehicles cutting me up at speed. Problem is there is no alternative route for cyclists.
gary_m_85

Post by gary_m_85 »

I work at the nearby Strathclyde Business park, and the roundabout of which you speak really is a danger spot.

As it's quite a wide roundabout, it allows motorvehicles to get up to a reasonable speed as you say approaching 60-70mph.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

60-70 isn't a reasonable speed on a roundabout...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

I have a colleague whose daughter works in A+E in the hospital that services that area, I'll enquire tonight. It may be the case (hopefully) that the cyclist was able to get up and get away relatively uninjured.
bobbyg

Post by bobbyg »

Cheers, would appreciate that
bobbyg

Post by bobbyg »

Obviously not breaking any patient confidentiality!
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

Well 'in the trade' we usually get to hear about all the gruesome accidents first ;) I've not heard of any cyclists down in that area from my colleague, so hopefully whoever has been in the accident has been able to get away from the scene on their own steam.
gary_m_85

Post by gary_m_85 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:60-70 isn't a reasonable speed on a roundabout...

I'll re-phrase... considerable speed.

Below is an aerial shot from Google Maps of the Round about in question.

It's basically in the shape of an athletic track, so cars can exit the round about at a dangerous speed to enter a dual carriage way speed limit zone.

1.jpg
1.jpg (32.28 KiB) Viewed 3687 times
macotheisles

Post by macotheisles »

It is also devoid of road markings for some reason. And there is considerable shrubbery growing up in the inner perimeters which prohibits any half-decent sight lines. Safety-wise it doesn't have much going for it. I'm going to nominate it as one of Scotland's most bicycle hostile entities.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Nope, that's the Keir roundabout! I hate it in a car, there's nothing like coming up the old A9 from Bridge of Allan and going around the Keir roundabout to the Dunblane turn off the B8033, which is dual carriageway , you come around the roundabout and spot the traffic heading south on the A9 towards the roundabout down a hill, you have to pass straight in front if it and does it brake, does it ever! And that's the lorries. For those of you who don't know, it is at the end of the A9 and start of the M9.