Reflector thing

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Phil Fouracre

Reflector thing

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Am now looking again at making one of these, 'give me space' things you fit on your bike. Wondered a while ago and posted on here for advice, got a few pros and cons. Thinking of making it a bit light hearted, perhaps a few Bhuddist prayer flags. Don't really want to irritate the majority of good drivers, just make a point. Perhaps put a fluffy ball on the end with a steel spike inside! What would be a sensible length?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
gaz

Re: Reflector thing

Post by gaz »

32cm, apparently: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-bike- ... 4897.l4275

You may also wish to consider how to interpret Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 in terms of whether the reflector thing is part of the vehicle or part of a load it is carrying :? .

IV B 82
(2) Subject to the following provisions of this regulation, no load shall be carried on a vehicle so that—

(a) the load has a lateral projection or projections on either side exceeding 305mm; or
(b) the overall width of the vehicle and of any lateral projection or projections of its load exceeds 2.9m.

Of course you'll need to read it all rather than just my cherry picked quotation. :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
toomsie

Re: Reflector thing

Post by toomsie »

I cant tell you if those things work.