Please ignore!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Re: Please ignore!

Post by MikeF »

Videos played OK on my Mac using Safari.

Cars gave possibly just about enough room, but more would have been much better. However that lorry gave nowhere near enough room for that type of vehicle - just compare the nearside vehicle tracks of the cars compared with the lorry - it was much closer than the cars. No wonder lorries cause the biggest problems, as although many lorry drivers are very good about giving enough space, there are far too many that don't.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

Tangled Metal wrote:To give you an example of differences that make big changes in the actions of motorists. I live 2 miles from my parents. A nice ride almost all the way up hill with a fast ride back down. It is a popular country road for a stretch which has drivers going really close and at 60mph.

I bought a child trailer and needed to go there with my 9 month old so I did just that worrying myself and my parents. They never got over it but I quickly calmed about it because every driver took a really wide berth. Most waited until they could go completely on the other side even giving us space. I have never been given so much space before. I can only guess they realised a child was in there.

Depriving a parent of a child, absolutely not (and rightly so of course). Depriving a child of its parent? No problem for some motorists!
Raph

Post by Raph »

Generally I find lorry drivers are really good, much better on the whole than average car drivers, but then they need to be.

My other half nearly got killed right outside our house by a Fedex van hurtling down the street on the pavement just as she walked out of the drive. She jumped back just in time but said if she hadn't it would have hit her square-on. She didn't think to get the reg. no. and Fedex closed ranks insisting they couldn't identify which driver was out that day (yeah right!). I know we all moan on about surveillance society and big brother etc. but nailing dangerous drivers is essential.

I'm eternally baffled by a) the generally perceived sub-human status conferred by getting on a bike, and b) the loss of humanity caused by getting in a motor of any sort. Comments made by motorists occasionally give away a stark insight into double standards - e.g. in a thread on a motoring forum about the cyclist that hit a young woman who cracked her head on a kerb and died, the discussion was totally about the "menace" of "those bl00dy cyclists" and one guy in particular was full of "that cyclist should have been given life, lock him up and throw away the key, hanging's too good for'im"... later in the same thread the same guy says of jaywalkers "it's simple: you don't want to get killed, STAY OUT OF MY WAY!" (his capitals). The effort of squaring those two opinions in the same person is still making my eyes water.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Maybe yellow diamond stickers with 'Father on board' or 'human on board'

Or give all cyclists the right to issue a £100 fine to one driver in their lifetime.