What is gr8 about motorcycling?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pete75

Re: What is gr8 about motorcycling?

Post by pete75 »

Mark1978 wrote:The requirements to pass a motorbike test are rather more stringent than those far cars are they not?

No it's a lot easier than the car test. The examiner is on foot and only sees you from time to time. You're probably under observation for about 20% of the test if that. The most observed bit is when you have to ride a set distance at a slow speed with the examiner walking beside you.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

pete75, that is not true. It was back when I did my test, but ever since the graded licence the test has had a lot more to it and just a part of it is an accompanied ride -
You’ll ride in a variety of road and traffic conditions. You’ll be asked to carry out:
normal stops
an angle start (pulling out from behind a parked vehicle)
a hill start (where possible)

The examiner will give you directions using a radio. They will normally follow you on a motorcycle.
taken from https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-practical ... tical-test
pete75

Post by pete75 »

tatanab wrote:pete75, that is not true. It was back when I did my test, but ever since the graded licence the test has had a lot more to it and just a part of it is an accompanied ride -
You’ll ride in a variety of road and traffic conditions. You’ll be asked to carry out:
normal stops
an angle start (pulling out from behind a parked vehicle)
a hill start (where possible)

The examiner will give you directions using a radio. They will normally follow you on a motorcycle.
taken from https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-practical ... tical-test

They must have changed it then. Either that or I wasn't paying attention when I did my bike test. :)
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

The examiner is with you all the time now on the part 2. He indeed follows you on his bike and issues instructions. You also have to do the turn around in the road in front of the examiner controlling clutch and revs. This after the theory test and of course initial exam where you have to weave between cones and do an observed road circuit frun by an authorised learner school.
I think they are now trying to make it even harder.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I don't know whether it is the bikes that polarise or the riders personally. It is like everything the minority have a bigger say than the majority. To explain, with bikers it is the minority in their full race leathers on race ready super sports riding like a race track on country lanes that cause difficulties and polarization among the non-biker sections of the populations. I have never had a problem with bikers of any type that ride responsibly. That does not at all preclude them pushing it a bit or speeding just not taking blind bends at a racing angle on the wrong side of the road and other riding faux pas.

Seriously, it is not hard to realise there is a minority here that is creating such hatred of bikes and bikers. Perhaps that needs addressing. Policing is not going to work because anyone can take it easy if there are police around. Observation based policing needs the law breaker to be observed. Just like car, van and truck drivers. Limiting performance is a nice idea but so many pitfalls not least the political will to get anything through that will work. Stopping the wreckless and irresponsible in any transport group is a nice aim but without the political and official will to do it this will never happen.

So to summarise my problem with bikers, cyclists, car drivers, white van man, truck drivers, etc. is irresponsible and inconsiderate driving/riding. I also totally dislike aggression to other road users. I had a poorly car recently when driving in a new area. The car so obviously cut out in a narrow constriction in a small village halting the progress of 3 motor cyclists. I had no way of stopping it and got going again asap. That was after the lead touring biker (with partner on the back with full touring kit) had lifted his full face helmet and given me a really nasty, foul mouthed rant through my open window. My young boy was also listening. That could easily have happened to have been a cyclist, car driver or van driver. It happened to be one of three bikers who I had earlier said to my partner "why can't all bikers be like them, responsible?" What a case of spoke too soon.

I repeat that all my problems with certain issues with the biker community could easily apply to similar issues with all other modes of transport. IMHO that makes it the person not the machine at fault. However if you can not moderate human behaviour then there are cases of equipment moderation such as delivery vans getting limited to 56mph or 60/70mph in trucks (saves fuel too). Not sure how to stop the bikers on the wrong side of bends. I guess the only solution now is those grating "THINK BILKE!" signs. Since they are not thinking of us.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Its not the vehicle its the rider / driver / dog walker etc.

You meet really sane people who are respected in their job but behind the wheel are evil :?

I always remember that a copper on Prime time TV said that some peoples attitude mean they should never drive.

On my training cycle course I hit up to 39 MPH, so when a car driver tried overtaking on a lane (single carriageway) I raised my arm at them (not fingers) he stopped further on and said what's all the arm waving :?:
When I explained that it was narrow (he only had to wait a few more yards for two lanes) he said I was getting over excited :? That's a new one on me...........................

Unlike cars you don't remain uninjured riding motorbikes for long, a few scrapes sorts you out or your dead.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mark1964

Post by mark1964 »

bigjim wrote:The examiner is with you all the time now on the part 2. He indeed follows you on his bike and issues instructions. You also have to do the turn around in the road in front of the examiner controlling clutch and revs. This after the theory test and of course initial exam where you have to weave between cones and do an observed road circuit frun by an authorised learner school.
I think they are now trying to make it even harder.

I hope that part of the motorbike test addresses some behaviour that often annoys me:

1. DO NOT deliberately filter into the ASL on red, especially cutting up cyclists.
2. DO NOT cut into any cycle lane at the last moment when faced with congestion ahead.
3. DO NOT use off-road cycle paths as a short cut between roads.

Whilst I'm sure that many bikers adhere to the regulations, there's always that minority.....
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Just like cyclists should not nip onto the pavement to get past a car in a jam that is too near the kerb to allow you past. Or the cyclist that edges across the pedestrian crossing when the lights for traffic are on red. You have to stop as well as other road users. Or how about those adults who ride on pavements. Or those cyclists who get angry over some minor infringement that they perceive so race off after the perpetrator in their vehicle and see fit to kick the vehicle to show their displeasure.

I am not having a go at cyclists so much as the potential for them and us attitudes from both sides over perceived rule breaking from the other side. Quite frankly I admit i am human and break rules when cycling and driving, but being on both sides I accept that we do wrong and others do too. Singling out specific actions of the other side is not a positive action in some cases but can foster opposing views and a "but your lot do this," response. Look to your own actions and make them right. If that is all the change we can affect it is still a start.
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

The last post illustrates very well that most of this is about inconsiderate people. Nothing at all to do with motorcycling per se.

As for the comments about some types of bike - well I'm sure the man in the street can find equivalent criticisms to direct against cycling. For example 'racing' handlebars lower than the saddle meaning the rider cannot see properly. Skinny tyres that compromise braking and roadholding. Ban Them!

Of course we would defend cycling in all its forms. We have fought hard to have choices lets not talk ourselves into giving them up.

It is inconsiderate behaviour we should focus on.

Oh and by the way; three conventional cycles, a recumbent, Triumph Sprint 955i (145 mph) Classic MZ250 (80 mph) and a Royal Enfield 500 (75 - 80 mph) I like em all!
horizon

Post by horizon »

I don't think this question belongs on a cycling forum. Motorcycles have something that cars don't. But much more importantly, they are more like cars than they are like cycles.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
beardy

Post by beardy »

horizon wrote:I don't think this question belongs on a cycling forum. Motorcycles have something that cars don't. But much more importantly, they are more like cars than they are like cycles.

It may appear that way to an observer but to those participating the similarity is more with the cycle.
horizon

Post by horizon »

This one could run and run! :D
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

horizon wrote:I don't think this question belongs on a cycling forum.
I do not see why not. Every couple of months we get a thread along the lines of "which car to carry my bike?". How about "Which motorcycle to carry your bike, or, how do you carry your bike on a motorcycle?". For the record, I've not done this since 1978 on a Honda K4 250 (last of the drum brake ones).
blueac

Post by blueac »

I alternate between motorcycle and bicycle to get to work (more bicycle especially in the Spring/Summer) and find it useful having the motorised two-wheel alternative - especially on days when you are feeling a bit ill (like today!) and just don't have the energy to pedal.

I would say that a motorbike is much closer to being on a bicycle than a car but with the advantage of power and speed that puts you on a more equal footing. I like the fact that on a motorbike you don't have to worry so much what is coming up behind you as most of the trouble is in front of you - which makes you feel safer (even though I am sure it is statistically more dangerous than cycling).
horizon

Post by horizon »

tatanab wrote:
horizon wrote:I don't think this question belongs on a cycling forum.
I do not see why not.

Of course it can - I'm just reinforcing the point that there's a wider gap between bikes and er ... bikes than between motorbikes and cars. Now that is debatable, I admit.