What is gr8 about motorcycling?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: What is gr8 about motorcycling?

Post by Mick F »

I can understand why people ride them, but what I fail to understand is why they have to be so noisy? :shock: :shock:
WHY? for goodness sake?

They're noisy brand new. 4stroke and 2stroke alike.
Why?
What's wrong with a decent silencer?
Mick F. Cornwall
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

Mick F wrote:I can understand why people ride them, but what I fail to understand is why they have to be so noisy? :shock: :shock:
WHY? for goodness sake?

maybe for a similar reason that (seemingly) the more expensive the roadie bicycle the louder the clicking from the rear hub when you freewheel. I don't understand that either, I'm embarrassed if my bike is making mechanical noises.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Mick F wrote:I can understand why people ride them, but what I fail to understand is why they have to be so noisy? :shock: :shock:
WHY? for goodness sake?

They're noisy brand new. 4stroke and 2stroke alike.
Why?
What's wrong with a decent silencer?
Many are air cooled so do not have the sound deadening of a great big water jacket like almost all car engines. There is limited space for cooling fins etc which will vibrate. It is the frequency of sound from the comparatively high revving engine that you probably notice more which is why somebody who never rides below 6000 rpm on a 4 cylinder machine is much more penetrating than a rider at 200o rpm. Yes, some people use illegal or modified exhausts, as do some motor car drivers. There are a number of such cars around my area and I can guess which route they have taken by the acceleration from each junction for about a mile. Some motorcycles are deliberately noisy with trade mark sounds such as Hardly Able To (that's English for Harley Davidson :lol: ) and some are foreign imports.

It is strange to me that if I go to a Classic Racing Motorcycle Club race meeting the machines are quieter (and possibly more stifled) than when I rode 30 years ago when most had open megaphone silencers. My race bike was actually quiet enough to be sensible on the road had I wanted to modify it to be road going.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It's funny Mick should mention loud vehicles,whilst out for a ride yesterday five vehicles attracted my attention due to their noise levels,three were Harleys( straight through pipes) the last one was very offensive,and two cars one a very new looking Merc AMG and a ten year old customised Toyota Celica both had stupidly loud big bore exhausts with the Merc being the loudest and most aggressive sounding.
TBH I can't see the attraction for the owner,I never have even when I was younger.
To drive a car or m/cycle with that noise all the time would really annoy me,I'm aware m/cycle riders don't hear it the same as car drivers might but nevertheless a complete distraction :D .
IMHO it's just a 'look at me' tag onto lives that are lacking in some way so need to be the centre of attention,even if only for a brief time as they pass by.
In there minds they're an exciting attraction to the opposite or same sex,cool dude expression,when really they're just an annoyance to everyone and come across as complete dorks :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RodWatts

Post by RodWatts »

There's a saying I read once about the joy of motorcycling which goes:-

Now I know why a dog sticks it's head out of a car window!

It's the joy and adrenalin rush of the open road!

Parp parp!
I'm not lost, I'm just exploring!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Willy_Eckerslike wrote:You know when someone tells you that they don't understand why you would want to spend all day on your bicycle and you know that there is no point in trying to explain, it's like that.

Not true! I wrote "truly an open question" and I meant it.

Maybe I would not want to understand why anyone smokes tobacco.
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 5 Apr 2015, 11:18am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One has the impression that all motorbikers just want to break the law and go as fast as possible.

Can anyone produce evidence for or against my impression?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mark1978 wrote:I remember a couple of years ago cycling over the massive hill from Port de Pollença to Söller and there was some sort of motorbike rally going on. Literally thousands of bikes coming the other way. Often three or four abreast. Deafening noise and often disregarding my presence and overtaking other bikes straight at me :(. Rather put me off bikes that day.

Could one describe this as terrorism?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

FarOeuf wrote:
WHY? for goodness sake?

maybe for a similar reason that (seemingly) the more expensive the roadie bicycle the louder the clicking from the rear hub when you freewheel. I don't understand that either, I'm embarrassed if my bike is making mechanical noises.

surely there is a law on noise. But no will to do anything about it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One has the impression that all motorbikers just want to break the law and go as fast as possible.

Somewhere on another internet forum:-
One has the impression that all cyclists just want to break the law,go as fast as they can and RLJ!

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

I've a lot of time for classic/retro motorbikes. Lots of crossover with modern pedal cycles in styling and parts thanks to many people and companies (Apps, Cleland, Puch, ...). One of the bicycles I maintain has motorcycle switches on the handlebars controlling the dynamo lights.

I don't understand superbikes, but then I don't understand riding racing bikes if you're not racing or training to race either. Each to their own!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Like most of us I love cycling, but I drive a vehicle occasionally too (as little as possible). Cycling is always great and I find driving on the motorway often quite relaxing (engage highest gear, lean left or right occasionally, move my right toes now and then).Diolch

Driving on the motorway - if your lucky and don't get held up by umpteen road works or congestion or unfortunately an accident then fine. Nowadays I can't get off the motorways quick enough and much prefer normal roads, even in the car..

Cyril Haearn wrote:I can not understand the attraction of motorcycling. Modern motorbikes are as expensive and as thirsty as cars. One has the impression that all motorbikers just want to break the law and go as fast as possible. Diolch

Drive down the motorways at 70 mph and see how many cars pass you.
Drive at the speed limit on any road and it won't be long before there is a some vehicle up behind you.

Cyril Haearn wrote:Anybody here cycles and rides a motorbike and can explain it? Truly an open question.Diolch

One of the main things I like about the motorbike is it is easy to get pass cars etc' if I'm going somewhere. (Same as when a car comes up on bunch of cyclists. :mrgreen: )
I'm not speeding but, even in a car, you always come up on somebody who is going slower than you.

The congestion on todays roads makes the riding of a motorbike more attractive. 8)
P.S. I generally do more miles on the push bikes than in the car and motorbike combined. :D
You'll never know if you don't try it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
So your not put off cars when one is directed at you with revving engine when you are on a cycle :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Chiz wrote:I've had a few motorbikes, I now own a BMW R1200GS. For me it's not about ringing the bikes neck everywhere, that's not the point of my bike, the raw acceleration my bike offers is quite a thrill when it's utilised at the right time but that's also not what riding a motorbike is about for me. I travel at speeds safe for the road conditions and sometimes a lot slower as I'm one for taking in the scenery and I often have my girlfriend on the back who's not keen on tearing about. My bike sounds like a tractor but that's actually what it's supposed to sound like, no tampered with silencers for me, not now anyway, I have had race cans on previous bikes but it just seems silly to me now. My bike is very practical as I run with large panniers and a topbox most of the time meaning I can carry a modest load of shopping or other bits and pieces. It also revs quite low for a motorbike, topping out at 8000rpm compared to up to 19000rpm you get with 1000cc sports bikes, this makes my bike quite economical compared to a lot of bikes.

It's hard to describe what the appeal is as motorbikes mean different things to different people, much the same as bicycles in my opinion.

Chiz you saved me a lot of work as I am a GS rider also and apart from having a wife rather than a girl friend I concur with everything you have said.

Several years ago I went to the TT with my bicycle and needless to say it wasn't the same but this year I will be going over on the GS. However that wont stop me looking at any push bike I see and having a chat with the owner if I get a chance to. I think its a two wheel vehicle thing that gets me as controlling them definitely takes more skill than driving one with four wheels.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

tatanab wrote:Some motorcycles are deliberately noisy with trade mark sounds such as Hardly Able To (that's English for Harley Davidson :lol: ) and some are foreign imports.
Reminds me of our trip to the USA last year. We were staying some of the time north of Baltimore and not far from York, Pennsylvania, which is home, I believe, to the biggest Harley plant in the USA. Indeed you saw long lines of motorbikes parked up in the local towns, and every one a Harley Davidson - and never a Japanese marque in sight! They must worship them like gods over there. I reckon it'd be best not to speak those words too loudly while in the area! :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).