What is gr8 about motorcycling?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

What is gr8 about motorcycling?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Like most of us I love cycling, but I drive a vehicle occasionally too (as little as possible). Cycling is always great and I find driving on the motorway often quite relaxing (engage highest gear, lean left or right occasionally, move my right toes now and then).

I can not understand the attraction of motorcycling. Modern motorbikes are as expensive and as thirsty as cars. One has the impression that all motorbikers just want to break the law and go as fast as possible.

Anybody here cycles and rides a motorbike and can explain it? Truly an open question.

Diolch
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
blackbike

Re: What is gr8 about motorcycling?

Post by blackbike »

I was motorcycle mad in my younger days, though I was cycling mad too, just as I am now.

Motorcycling at speed on bendy roads is very exhilarating, and even small bikes have great acceleration. Also, in a crowded city a motorbike is better for beating traffic jams and finding a parking space.

Off-tarmac motorcycling is great too. While I was in the Trail Riders Fellowship I did nearly all the green lanes in Yorkshire, Derbyshire, the Lakes and North Wales on my Yamaha DT175 and my Honda XL250.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Like most of us I love cycling, but I drive a vehicle occasionally too (as little as possible). Cycling is always great and I find driving on the motorway often quite relaxing (engage highest gear, lean left or right occasionally, move my right toes now and then).

I can not understand the attraction of motorcycling. Modern motorbikes are as expensive and as thirsty as cars. One has the impression that all motorbikers just want to break the law and go as fast as possible.

Anybody here cycles and rides a motorbike and can explain it? Truly an open question.

Diolch

trying to start a flame war? Motor bikes are the most convenient way to get around especially if they are modest in size rather than Goldwing variety. They give the maximum freedom & least inconvenience,no queues, can carry the camping gear that you cant on a bike, yet as you still out in the air unlike inside a car feel part of the scene. ps i dont ride a "modern" super bike - cant afford one & dont want one either & I mainly ride at sub light speeds
Willy_Eckerslike

Post by Willy_Eckerslike »

You know when someone tells you that they don't understand why you would want to spend all day on your bicycle and you know that there is no point in trying to explain, it's like that.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Willy_Eckerslike wrote:You know when someone tells you that they don't understand why you would want to spend all day on your bicycle and you know that there is no point in trying to explain, it's like that.

Yep.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One has the impression that all motorbikers just want to break the law and go as fast as possible.
Another stereotype just like all cyclists and red lights. Like the majority of cyclists the majority of motorcyclists are sane, reasonable, well behaved people who break no laws. The fuel efficiency thing is because motorcycles in their normal form are simply not very aerodynamic. Costs - you often hear "oh you could buy a car for that money", what people miss is that a car of a similar performance would be astronomically expensive. Just the same as you "can buy a car" for the cost of a well specified pedal cycle, but just think what a pedal cycle the cost of a Dacia Sandero will buy you!

I've had a number of motorcycles and had a go at racing, although I did not get my first one until I was 25 (almost 40 years ago) so arguable missed the mad phase many of us have in our teens - I was a mad and silly cyclist instead.

A story - a few years ago, one spring morning I was mending a puncture at he side of the road when a couple of good weather motorcyclists. A passing pedestrian grumbled to me about noise and so on. They did not appreciate my reply which was along the lines of "at least it takes a modicum of skill to ride a motorcycle whereas any fool can and does drive motor cars". So for me it is exercising that skill and being exposed to the elements (both of which apply to the pedal cycle as well) instead of being cossetted and isolated in a tin can with all sorts of electronic aids to enhance the driver's feeble capabilities.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I'm not see why a cyclist would say that really. Haven't you ever been out cycling but at that moment would rather not have to pedal and instead zoom around on your bike with no effort? I can totally see the appeal!
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

What is it about the genetic make-up of your average motorbike owner that makes them do the following? When they get on one they turn the throttle thing to make the bike go 'vroom ... vroom'.

Incidentally, is there any mechanical reason for this or is it just immature and pathetic behaviour?
I should coco.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Valbrona wrote:What is it about the genetic make-up of your average motorbike owner that makes them do the following? When they get on one they turn the throttle thing to make the bike go 'vroom ... vroom'.

Incidentally, is there any mechanical reason for this or is it just immature and pathetic behaviour?

In the case of my bike gives the fuel pump/carbs a bit of a kick or the engine stalls,all rather worn out - the choke is too much, only for cold days. I cant remember seeing the last time any one else has done it, they have nice new bikes that tick over nice - mainly kids anyway with mopeds I think who also loosen the silencers to make as much noise as possible?
Last edited by mercalia on 4 Apr 2015, 6:11pm, edited 2 times in total.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Valbrona wrote:What is it about the genetic make-up of your average motorbike owner that makes them do the following? When they get on one they turn the throttle thing to make the bike go 'vroom ... vroom'.

Lots of car drivers do that too.

I think it stems back to the days of chokes and carbs. The systems were pretty crap and that blip was often needed just to 'clear it out' and keep the engine running.
I don't bother these days because both my car and bike are fuel injected and the computer keeps it all running even when cold.

(Also some folk just like the sound of the engine too. ;) )
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
There are motorcyclist and there are born again motorcyclist.
The later probably past their test on a 250 and bought a car, then with spare money bought a bike capable of more that twice the 250's speed, the result is a very dangerous situation which only needs time...............

The thrill of motorcycling is performance beyond the dreams of most car drivers.
You will always hear the crashed motorist say it was slippery or something was in the way.

You can still green lane cheaply but the same fun would need a race track for a car.
You would have to experience the performance of a Ferrari if you never rode a mid sized motorcycle.

It can be safe but requires control of any recklessness.

Alas the roads are even more crowded than before.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

First thing to say is, I'm not a motorbiker and never have been one: in fact a strong antipathy towards motorbikes ran in my family, although I don't think I share in that sentiment. But I can distinctly remember that, when I was a very small child, I was afraid of the sound of a motorbike: I would burst into tears if someone started one up nearby. And I have only once been on one - as a pillion passenger: this was before the days when helmets became mandatory. I wasn't taken very far or very fast, but I remember that it scared the **** out of me!

But - on the other hand:
Cyril Haearn wrote:One has the impression that all motorbikers just want to break the law and go as fast as possible.
looks to me like unwarranted stereotyping, as others have pointed out. I know quite a few bikers and the ones I know are all perfectly civilised and respectable drivers. In fact they often tend to be better car drivers than the average, particularly around cyclists - probably because they are only too aware of the vulnerability of 2-wheeled transport.

There are, however, times when my prejudice - if anyone wants to accuse me of that - gets the upper hand, particularly when huge numbers of bikers congregate around beauty spots like Box Hill or Whiteways Lodge. I find their presence in such numbers just a bit intimidating. And as for carrying out stunts like wheelies on the adjoining roads: not on - no argument.

And - echoes of my childish phobia once more - some machines are just too noisy! If I can hear the sound of a motorbike belting along a road two miles away, it's too much. Please have a legal silencer!

And no going off-road on paths or tracks where motor traffic is not allowed. That includes footpaths and bridlepaths. Motorbikes are allowed on certain byways (BOATs). Isn't that fair enough?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Chiz

Post by Chiz »

I've had a few motorbikes, I now own a BMW R1200GS. For me it's not about ringing the bikes neck everywhere, that's not the point of my bike, the raw acceleration my bike offers is quite a thrill when it's utilised at the right time but that's also not what riding a motorbike is about for me. I travel at speeds safe for the road conditions and sometimes a lot slower as I'm one for taking in the scenery and I often have my girlfriend on the back who's not keen on tearing about. My bike sounds like a tractor but that's actually what it's supposed to sound like, no tampered with silencers for me, not now anyway, I have had race cans on previous bikes but it just seems silly to me now. My bike is very practical as I run with large panniers and a topbox most of the time meaning I can carry a modest load of shopping or other bits and pieces. It also revs quite low for a motorbike, topping out at 8000rpm compared to up to 19000rpm you get with 1000cc sports bikes, this makes my bike quite economical compared to a lot of bikes.

It's hard to describe what the appeal is as motorbikes mean different things to different people, much the same as bicycles in my opinion.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Like most of us I love cycling, but I drive a vehicle occasionally too (as little as possible). Cycling is always great and I find driving on the motorway often quite relaxing (engage highest gear, lean left or right occasionally, move my right toes now and then).

Diolch

Meanwhile on another forum somewhere :-
Like most of us I love motorcycling, but I drive a vehicle occasionally too (as little as possible). motorcycling is always great and I find driving on the motorway often quite relaxing (engage highest gear, lean left or right occasionally, move my right toes now and then).

I can not understand the attraction of cycling. Modern bicycles are as expensive as cars. One has the impression that all cyclists just want to break the law and ride through red lights.

Diolch

And so it goes until another persons perspective is appreciated.........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I remember a couple of years ago cycling over the massive hill from Port de Pollença to Söller and there was some sort of motorbike rally going on. Literally thousands of bikes coming the other way. Often three or four abreast. Deafening noise and often disregarding my presence and overtaking other bikes straight at me :(. Rather put me off bikes that day.