First time this year camera on bike - and an incident!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
661-Pete

First time this year camera on bike - and an incident!

Post by 661-Pete »

One of two (I'll report on the other later). Warning, there is a brief burst of bad language.
[youtube]zyDc6Np8P_Y[/youtube]
Not so much a close pass, as a frantic cut-in at the bollards, no doubt executed by the irrepressible Mr M'GIF* What do you think? Appalling, or merely poor driving? Gave me a scare anyway.

*"Must Get In Front"
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
MikeF

Re: First time this year camera on bike - and an incident!

Post by MikeF »

Appalling driving. Couldn't quite see, but it looked as though the car hit or almost hit the island. Number plate not discernible unfortunately. Out of interest where was it?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Oh, I got the number plate all right. It's clearly readable in the original video at higher resolution, but I reduced it down for youtube. But I don't think this incident is worth pursuing the motorist for. Just a topic for discussion.

On the other hand, if the same driver offends again.... :twisted:

It was less than a mile from my house, in Folders Lane in Burgess Hill.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
horizon

Post by horizon »

661-Pete wrote: But I don't think this incident is worth pursuing the motorist for.

No, I don't think so either. But I think it's really useful to have this kind of evidence so that people know what we're talking about.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

You know, I don't just blame the driver.

I am presuming the pedestrian island is part of a traffic calming scheme and isn't much to do with helping pedestrians cross the road. And lets face it ... those countries with lots of traffic calming schemes are the ones that are totally useless at enforcing speed limits and catching speeding motorists because the public services are so badly under-resourced.
I should coco.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

sorry to say oh too common
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Too common! Had it happen to me a few weeks ago, so bad that the car had to stop to avoid hitting the island
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
That's nothing :!:
I had a car go through the island whilst I was between the island and kerb :twisted:

The :shock: mirror of car was inches off my handle bars.

I don't believe this extreme accuracy of the closeness of my bars with the car mirror was by design / skill of driver at all.

As said all too common at islands / roundabouts (car behind cyclist approaching R'bout turning left across cyclist) / junctions etc etc.

The media / politricians fashion is (police even) to air TV / Radio campaigns aimed purely at cyclist on a point of safety (high vis / lights at night) when no amount of safety features and actions by cyclist will make a difference at all..........simply because they (the media etc.) don't ride bikes in our daily environment .........................................................

Make the media / councillors / politricians / police ride a bike in blackspot danger area's..........they won't :!:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I get that at least once a week.
I've had them slam on and stop short of the island, go around the island on the wrong side and even clip the island.
I've even had them follow me through with their hand on the horn.

Throwing up the dirt that builds up just in front is common place.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

I get this quite frequently too - in the most recent case the car that squeezed past at speed had to then cut in front to avoid the island and brake sharply for the car in front which had slowed to turn left. I reported on http://collideosco.pe/
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Oh and I notice the car is overtaking crossing the chevrons which is an HC no no.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I agree it is bad but it is also very common. I experience similar quite often. But what I find amazing (in my own experience) is that it normally occurs on the same road less than half a mile from a major Police station where they have all their patrol cars, etc. When I was young and in my early driving days everybody was always very careful when driving near a Police station as there is bound to be more Police cars around. These days people are so confidant that there is no enforcement that terrible dangerous driving outside a Police station, under the watchful eye of loads of Police Officers and patrol cars is just not a risk (or getting stopped).

(Not that it ever happened to me but) used to be that even if your "offence" was not bad enough to get points/fine, you would still be pulled-over and given a "talking-to" by an officer. I think this quite effective as apart from anything else, it delays the driver. I remember when yacht racing in the Solent where there is a moving exclusion zone round shipping (1000m in front and 100m either side of big shipping); and when you are racing you don't want to de-tour round such "obstacles", but enter the zone and you risk the port police stopping you, make you take your sails down, give you a "strong" talking to and then let you continue - which of course puts you way behind all other competitors and destroys your race. And as everybody knows what happens, it is effective discouragement to break the regs. I think Police stopping drivers and giving them a talking to "... and if you do it again ..." would make people think more about risks of points and word would get around that Police are watching and picking-up bad driving.

Ian
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Elizabethsdad wrote:Oh and I notice the car is overtaking crossing the chevrons which is an HC no no.

Well, yes and no ...
The chevrons are surrounded by a broken line, not a solid one. It seems to be a variant of http://m.tsrgd.co.uk/sign.html?id=1013.4 but with both sides having a broken line "part of the carriageway which vehicular traffic should not enter unless it is seen by the driver to be safe to do so" rather than having solid lines like http://m.tsrgd.co.uk/sign.html?id=1042.1, which would mean they MUST not be crossed.

Of course it was clearly not safe for the driver here to enter the chevron'd area, so the distinction is not relevant to this case (it is however relevant when cars push past on an open road, where the lane to the right is clearly marked in the same manner and it would be safer to use that lane than to pass in the cyclist's lane).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

As others have said, this is a very common situation, especially on busy roads - I don't deny it. It was chance that I happened to have my camera running, and what with my brief explosion of anger - followed by the remark "You're going on Youtube" - I decided it was worth putting up as a discussion topic.

Thing is, although it's common enough, I get plenty of motorists who, on the other hand, when they see me in primary approaching the bollards, dutifully fall in behind me. Good for them! I tend to quite ostensibly move over to the left once the bollards are passed, so as to signal "Ok you can pass now" - although at this particular location the bollards are immediately followed by a hump-bridge, so it's not a good idea to let following cars overtake immediately. There are two sets of bollards a short distance apart, with a side road between, sometimes there's room to let one car pass between the sets. Cooperation between road users - that's the name of the game!

I'm not publicising the car's numberplate, but I've made a note of it. Typical over-aggressive driving, the sort we can well do without.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Unfortunately I've seen worse. A couple weeks ago, the club prez and I were returning to Bolton after a nice relaxing Saturday social ride along Rivington Lane....https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.62450 ... !2e0?hl=en
Going round one of the bends (I think it was this one) some complete eejit in a Honda Civic overtook us ON the bend INTO oncoming traffic from the opposite lane doing about 30 ish mph, saw there wasn't enough room for all, just about made it past me, swerved towards club prez almost taking him out and hit the oncoming cars wing mirror and then put his foot down for a quick getaway. The hit car slammed his/her brakes on by which time the offending muppit had disappeared up the road and nothing could be done. I'm not sure prez knew how close to getting an ambulance ride to the ER unit he was but from my seat, the future at that moment looked horrendous.
I only wish the batteries of both my cameras hadn't packed up months earlier or the footage would've been shipped off to the local constabulary pronto.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.