FREE Volvo life paint for cyclist

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DarkNewt

Re: Invisible Bike Spray

Post by DarkNewt »

yeah it's fairly dangerous... the most annoying part is truck drivers who think that standing on their horns as they pass you is a good idea.... My work are brilliant though I get in very early to avoid the main traffic and whilst it gets dark early they let me leave early so I do the A45 in the daylight! They are a great employer I think when it comes to bikes!mud

I have just built my new touring bike and on the rear are:

1. Dynamo light
2. Cateye lights
3. mudguard light
4. Led Strip (red) around the rear rack top

I have noticed however that with that much lighting and the size of my bike fully loaded cars seem to give me way more room and more "respect on the road".

I have asked for a contact for the bike spray as I will dose myself in it on my tour lol
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
millimole

Re: FREE Volvo life paint for cyclist

Post by millimole »

The problem with the A45 (the bit I know anyway) is that it is a continuation of Motorway' and some / many drivers consider it to be 'just more motorway' and expect everyone else to do the same ie they don't want cyclists / tractors on that bit of road.
It's the same as the A46 near me, it is 'just' a continuation of the M1.
Volvo's magic spray won't solve this type of arrogance.
sirmy

Life paint!!!!

Post by sirmy »

Those brainy boffins at Volvo have come up with a great idea for keeping cyclists safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfWzeGlaFvI#t=113

Can't help wondering if it wouldn't have been simpler to tell drivers to look beyond the end of their bonnet! (does look good though). I do like the quote at around 1:50 "Putting something on that will make you scream out to drivers like me is a fantatstic thing."SO IS PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT'S HAPPENING AROUND YOU, YOU IDIOT!
[XAP]Bob

Re: Life paint!!!!

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Already posted elsewhere
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gaz

Re: Life paint!!!!

Post by gaz »

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

So if all those plastic microparticles wash off, they then end up in the rivers and seas to be eaten by water/marine life and eventually us? If that is the case this product should be banned.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yep...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Re: Invisible Bike Spray

Post by Psamathe »

DarkNewt wrote:... I came up with an idea to fit a transmitter to your bike that is picked up by vehicles with an audiable alarm to alert that a bike was within range...

You raise an interesting point. A bit more general, but the technology is common place (i.e. we have moved way way beyond the necessary technology). that it is such low tech, means that such devices can be easy, reliable and cheap to manufacture and install. But there is not motivation to make cycling safer (I appreciate it is "already safe", but there are still far too many tragedies). What seems lacking is the political motivation. Car manufacturers will not act unilaterally (and they have to install the detectors first). Cycle manufacturers would leap at the opportunity (both on new bikes and as retro fit add-ons). so all the politicians have to to is to get some standards defined (easy) and pass some new regs (easy).

Ian
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Two people are walking (or cycling if you like) along a road. One is dressed in normal clothing (or to use Met-speak is "wearing dark clothing with no hi-viz") and if cycling, is using the legally-required lamps; the other is wearing hi-viz, carrying multiple high-ntensity lamps (https://vimeo.com/84694389) and if cycling has covered the 'bike with retro-reflective tape (been there, done that - was still driven at). Now that person covers themselves with Volvo's whitewash (first can a free trial - then buy buy buy if you ever want the priviledge of going outside without a metal envelope)

The driver sees and avoids the brightly covered one and drives into the normally-dressed. The driver is excused because we now only need to look out for those taking especial care to be seen - all others are fair game (and if we fail to see a lit cyclist, well that's just an understandable omission).

It is a new version "Prisoner's dilemma: Each of us is expected to go that bit further to ensure the poor drivers have a "chance of seeing" us. Each step the individual takes puts the other(s) at disadvantage because they are all expected to at least match that step. Meanwhile the amount of light pollution escalates, the expectations of how visible someone on the public road must make themselves increases and woe betide anyone who cannot afford or does not wish, to dress up like an illuminated clown :( .
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

MikeF wrote:So if all those plastic microparticles wash off, they then end up in the rivers and seas to be eaten by water/marine life and eventually us? If that is the case this product should be banned.

Like washing powder and detergents and oils and a whole host of things that go inside the household toilets and drains.

I am not the brightest person, but even i can see how a chemical like this that washes off has a appeal.
It can be used on any of your clothes so you can change which item glows than wash off and use it as normal wear.
Use it on a bike, no need for a special coating to protect the glow paint and it wont damage the bike so any person can use it

If i can see the reason why they chose this method, why are so many people up in arms about it.
Maybe if a bike maker marketed it and put a £££££ price tag, the same complainers would be salivating at the bit to bulk buy :roll:
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

"washes off" is not the same as "readily biodegrades with minimal environmental impact".

Plastic residues are now found in sea life in all of our oceans - it is leaving a residue which marks our age http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22530060.200-plastic-age-how-its-reshaping-rocks-oceans-and-life.html. If this is indeed plasic microparticles it is in an entirely separate league from "washing powder and detergents" and ranks with plastic waste dumped indiscriminately at sea and condoms flushed down the toilet :twisted:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No - if I want to make something retro-reflective then I want it be retro-reflective, not to give up at the first sign of actual weather.

I can't wash my clothes between the commute and the office, so what difference does it make - a retro-reflective top is fine - I have a Sam Browne retro-reflective belt that goes neatly in a pocket when I arrive at my destination, and doesn't need reapplying every day. The shape also provides good identification.

If it's a clear retro-reflective paint then why wouldn't I want it to be permanent...
pwa

Post by pwa »

If you decide you want a reflective jacket, or bike or whatever, you probably don't want it to cease being reflective when it rains. You probably don't want to have to keep topping it up, like you do with batteries. And we do need to keep to a minimum the amount of gunk we allow into the environment.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I don't quite understand it. If you want to be reflective, then there are plenty of low cost methods *for person and/or bike) and ones that don't wash-off and keep needing to be topped-up. I don't know if this is a product for sale for if it's a free short term promotion (for those in range of the selected 6 bike shops). If a product for sale nationwide, then £££ as it keeps needing replacing as it washes-off. If a one off PR stunt then it is unlikely to have much of an impact given it's localised availability.

It's just there are so many better and cheaper and long lasting methods to achieve the same.

And given it's short term nature I would want to know more about it's environmental impacts and potential allergen impacts (given it's on your clothes).

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:I don't quite understand it. [...] If a one off PR stunt then it is unlikely to have much of an impact given it's localised availability.

I think you understand it almost perfectly. Just not that the impact is to get people talking about Volvo in association with safety promotion rather than how they're obstructing safer lorries.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.