Garmin 200 and other bike accessories coming to aldi

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
maxcherry

Aldi selling Garmin 200 April 12th

Post by maxcherry »

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... ear-43912/

Seen on the above site that Aldi are supporting the Olympics!? (Am i the last to know :shock: ).
OK! feeding the gals and guys to give them the energy to get to the Olympics.
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
borderghost

Garmin 200 and other bike accessories coming to aldi

Post by borderghost »

Aldi is to launch its first range of mountain bike gear on 12 April – including Garmin Edge 200 GPS units for only £70.

It might not have all the latest navigation features, but the Garmin Edge 200 is still one of the best – and best value – GPS bike computers out there. The RRP is £110, but Aldi will be selling it for the bargain price of £70.

Aldi’s three-layer ripstop Mountain Bike Waterproof Jacket (£25) includes reflective piping and a concealed two-way YKK zipped rear pocket that allows the jacket to be packed into itself.

Windproof and waterproof, Aldi’s Mountain Bike Convertible Trousers (£20) zip off at the knee if things warm up. There’s an ultra-cheap jersey for £13 too.

Shimano SPD-compatible Mountain Bike Shoes for £20, which are described as “a robust and reliable shoe for a day in the saddle” and have a PU / mesh lining and textile insole.

Full Aldi mountain bike gear list

Garmin Edge 200 – £69.99
Bicycle Repair Stand – £25
Men's and Ladies' Mountain Bike Waterproof Jacket – £24.99
Men's and Ladies' Mountain Bike Convertible Trousers – £19.99
Mountain Bike Backpack – £19.99
Mountain Bike Shoes – £19.99
Men's and Ladies' Mountain Bike Jersey – £12.99
Men's and Ladies' Mountain Bike Base Layer – £9.99
Mountain Bike Gloves – £6.99
Foot Pump – £5.49
Gel Saddle Cover – £3.99
Muc-Off – £3.99
Mountain Bike Neckwarmer – £2.99
Mountain Bike Socks – £2.99
borderghost

Re: Garmin 200 and other bike accessories coming to aldi

Post by borderghost »

Does anyone know if the garmin 200 records your total distance that you have ridden over seveal months, or better still even longer, it would be good to see how many miles i have done say after 2 years.
What would be a great feature also is if the device had a home button, so if your several miles from home you can just select home and it will navigate you there, i guess since it contains no map data that is not possible.
stewart.p.lewis

Post by stewart.p.lewis »

I use an old Garmin 305 and an old version of SportTracks on the PC, keeping a diary analysis and much more forever!
Tonyf33

Re: Aldi selling Garmin 200 April 12th

Post by Tonyf33 »

These were £69 at ASDA last year and not 2 months back were reduced further to £39, not only that but £70 is not shy of what you can buy them new in a few places. Honestly are these even worth it given how pretty basic they are? having a cheap GPS enabled android phone that comes loaded with google maps and/or one of the cycle software programs would likely be more useful and more practical for many.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As I ride my usual cycling gear when off road can anyone explain why the MTB gear is any different to their usual bike gear?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
robgul

Post by robgul »

The 200 is basic but if you look at it as just a bike computer it's way better than anything wired or wireless working off a wheel sensor - so easy to transport from bike to bike.

.. and if Aldi has them one wonders whether Garmin is running out the existing stock and bringing out a new version 2xx model? - and presumably there'll be loads of them on ebay within days of the Aldi offer as the "Aldi traders" buy them up??

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

You can buy the 200 now from Bike Discount for £77 shipped so not so much of a bargain. Probably Garmin trying to shift the last of the European stock before launching a new model. Daresay there will be lots of UK retailers unloading them when Aldi launched so better to hang on for a really good bargain. Just as a matter of preference, I've always found the Lidl clothing vastly superior to Aldi!
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

robgul wrote: if you look at it as just a bike computer it's way better than anything wired or wireless working off a wheel sensor
On the other hand, if you want a basic (or not so basic) computer then the Edge 200 is let down by 14 hours of battery life meaning you have to charge it frequently, whereas a basic computer has a battery life of a couple of years.
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

Battery life is the downside to GPS functionality.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I agree on that, but if you buy a GPS that takes AA batteries, it's not much of a problem at all.

I have a Garmin Montana that has a built-in Li battery that lasts about 12hrs, and it will take AA batteries instead, and they last 18hrs or more.
Mick F. Cornwall
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

borderghost wrote:Does anyone know if the garmin 200 records your total distance that you have ridden over seveal months, or better still even longer, it would be good to see how many miles i have done say after 2 years.
What would be a great feature also is if the device had a home button, so if your several miles from home you can just select home and it will navigate you there, i guess since it contains no map data that is not possible.

If you upload your rides to Strava or the Garmin Connect site then that will show your total ride stats including total miles, total hours and total height climbed over any period you wish to specify.

The 200 is not really a device for navigation, though you can follow a breadcrumb trail. It's more of a Gps enabled cycle computer. I use mine all the time but if I wish to navigate I'll use my old Edge 705.

Mine will do 3 four hour rides before it needs recharging, but I tend to recharge whilst uploading rides anyway, so it gets charged up after at least every other ride.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com