Upgraded cycle path - Worsley (Greater Manchester)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Rittmeister

Upgraded cycle path - Worsley (Greater Manchester)

Post by Rittmeister »

The old railway line that runs from Monton to Little Hulton has been upgraded as far as Walkden. This route goes along the NCN 55 along the old trackbed.

Previously the surface was in a poor condition, but now has super smooth tarmac and connects to the limestone hard-packed surface making journeys between Walkden and Manchester road bike friendly. This means you can cycle to Manchester via Eccles avoiding the A6 and the Salford end of the East Lancs Cycle Path which is impacted by the Busway construction.
Postboxer

Re: Upgraded cycle path - Worsley (Greater Manchester)

Post by Postboxer »

Thanks for the update, will have to try it out sometime, hopefully it's smoother than the tarmac part of the Bridgewater Way near Old Trafford, which is really bumpy.
Vantage

Re: Upgraded cycle path - Worsley (Greater Manchester)

Post by Vantage »

I'd steer clear of the Little Hulton section for a while. I rode it yesterday on my way to exploring the Bridgewater through Astley to Pennington Flash and I was practically swimming through broken bottle glass. I've not checked the Hypers yet and they didn't puncture for once but I fear looking them over in case I don't like what I find.
I have to admire the anti motorcycle barriers on the Bridgewater. Whoever designed them needs to be publicly stoned.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.