so when do the shorts come out?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tonyf33

Re: so when do the shorts come out?

Post by Tonyf33 »

Went out in shorts this arvo & despite the wind it felt quite mild, had long sleeve base layer, windproof top and a gilet on though, I must be hardening up..lol

Side winds off the open fields though..very very strong :shock:
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

I'm a May 1st man myself, having seen club members with wonky knees I'm all too aware of early season shenanigans!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Came back from a ride today(leg warmers)and felt optomistic,so before my shower whilst cutting my hair(what little there is of it) I shaved my legs.

Then I saw the weather forecast.I think I may have ''gone too early in the break'' :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

(Not scanned the entire thread but ...)

I only have shorts and never want for anything else - sometimes baggy, sometimes lycra. Some rides can start off a bit chilly but within a few minutes I've warmed-up. Top is an old baddy sweatshirt (plenty of breeze around the un-elasticates waits/sleeves/neck), maybe a cotton t-shirt underneath and when it's really cold an old Helly-Hensen thermal top (the old blue nylon'y things).

Ian
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Psamathe wrote:(Not scanned the entire thread but ...)

I only have shorts and never want for anything else - sometimes baggy, sometimes lycra. Some rides can start off a bit chilly but within a few minutes I've warmed-up. Top is an old baddy sweatshirt (plenty of breeze around the un-elasticates waits/sleeves/neck), maybe a cotton t-shirt underneath and when it's really cold an old Helly-Hensen thermal top (the old blue nylon'y things).

Ian

And how do your knees feel about that Ian ? - or more apposite - how do you think they will feel in future years?
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

I could've done with long trousers this morning. My legs are covered in scratches from being attacked by airborne sticks :shock: (It's a tad breezy out there)
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Ray

Post by Ray »

I've often been known to suggest that riding with minimal clothing when the temperature is less than balmy is, well, barmy, and likely to cause joint or tendon problems either now or in the future. However, I don't know that there is any firm evidence to support this. Perhaps others know better?

What is equally likely is that I've been trotting out this old saw to counter taunts from the 'ard geezers** that I'm a wimp. Let them taunt; it's water off a duck's back, or wintry showers off a gore-tex.

R.

** I see Guy has just posted - obviously one of the 'ard geezers! Tad breezy indeed - it's blowing a hooly! I'm staying indoors.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TBH,given the choice of warm knees and legs,or cold knees and legs.I'll have warm every time if you don't mind :)
I also know when my knees and legs feel too warm that's when I dispense with the leg or knee warmers,it's a personal choice and is temperature related,wind direction has quite a bit to do with it too IME,east,north or north western winds generally=cold or colder,south,south western usually=warm.
I'm a bit of a wimp,I like being comfortable :)
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I don't think there is any evidence apart from my post above.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knee_pain#Cold-induced

"Some people with anterior knee pain tend to have generally colder knees, and such people also trend towards having to wear extra tights/long johns in the winter.[7]"

Touch wood I have had no problems and wont point fun at the sufferers, my legs sweat covered above 5C.
You can get sore knees from a variety of reasons, and I guess that once they are inflamed best to cover up.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Not today - its currently alternating between snow and hail here! :(
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

reohn2 wrote:TBH,given the choice of warm knees and legs,or cold knees and legs.I'll have warm every time if you don't mind :)
I also know when my knees and legs feel too warm that's when I dispense with the leg or knee warmers,it's a personal choice and is temperature related,wind direction has quite a bit to do with it too IME,east,north or north western winds generally=cold or colder,south,south western usually=warm.
I'm a bit of a wimp,I like being comfortable :)

I actually like ice cold showers, I used to enjoy the ice cold recovery baths after rugby training, I prefer to be colder indoors and keep the house quite chilly (people put on more clothes when they visit..lol) BUT when I'm cycling I like to be comfortable like yourself, that to me isn't being 'a wimp', it's doing what's right for your own body at any given point or time of year..
There's nothing 'hard' or tough about wearing shorts in mid winter, people are different and tolerence levels are different, that's pretty much how life is in general. what anybody else does has next to zero bearing on me and what I do (with regard to cycling at least)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tonyf33 wrote:I actually like ice cold showers, I used to enjoy the ice cold recovery baths after rugby training, I prefer to be colder indoors and keep the house quite chilly (people put on more clothes when they visit..lol)

I usually run a cold shower on my legs after a hard ride,I find it help recover,but generally I like to be warm.It's a balance.
BUT when I'm cycling I like to be comfortable like yourself, that to me isn't being 'a wimp', it's doing what's right for your own body at any given point or time of year..
There's nothing 'hard' or tough about wearing shorts in mid winter, people are different and tolerence levels are different, that's pretty much how life is in general. what anybody else does has next to zero bearing on me and what I do (with regard to cycling at least)

The 'wimp' mention was a leettle tongue in cheek.When cycling,comfort is a balancing act,too cold I can work harder,too warm on a cold day can be a problem in that if I sweat,the sweat goes cold and it's harder to get warm again.As for the legs they need to be kept warm to keep the blood flowing and the knees work better when warm.Given the choice I'd rather my legs be too warm than too cold.
Balance is a good word IMO :wink:
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Short sleeve jersey and shorts yesterday :)
Loads of other cyclists on R55 including a little girl who smiled at me as we passed each other that made my day better :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Never. I use rollups - full lenght, upto the knee or just above or further, depends on how cold it is - when you stop or when you are moving
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

mine came out this morning, By 'eck it were parky :lol:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.