so when do the shorts come out?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Redvee

Re: so when do the shorts come out?

Post by Redvee »

My calves have been exposed year round, full length tights have been put in one of those vacuum sealed bags. Most of the riding over the winter has been in 3/4 bibs or bibs and knee warmers, there has been days where no covering was worn on the knees.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

When I was in Helsinki a few years back I walked to work in the morning, and the office was on the coast.

The sun was twinkling off the sea in the morning - beautiful.

By the time I left the office (only 8 hours later) the sea was frozen to a depth of an inch or more (I broke some of the ice to see).

It gets pretty cold in Finland, even the far south!
And they can get some pretty biting winds as well, but with temperatures in the frostbite range already...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mig

Post by mig »

this morning is wet and cold. occasional cars that have come down from the hills had wet snow on their roof.

during the commute i saw two riders to within twenty yards of one another. rider 1 had full longs, skull cap, helmet, 'snood', gloves and overshoes. rider 2 had shorts and a short sleeved jersey.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I went a few miles yesterday during mid afternoon wearing mitts and no wooly hat for a change. Still using my overshoes for now.
My legs still get very cold even through to around 12C so it'll be some time before the shorts are used on their own.
I saw a big burly bloke in t shirt and baggy shorts on the canal though...... :roll:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Ray

Post by Ray »

We may begin to notice that the worst of the winter has passed, but it is surely far too cold to start stripping off. How on earth are all these off-season flesh-flashers going to cope when it gets warm, or even hot? Never mind acclimatising to the cold, I'm already preparing to be able to deal with the problem of overheating in summer.

OK, tongue ever so slightly in cheek here, but my point is essentially a serious one. Adding extra clothing is easy enough, removing it once you are down to bare skin is more of a problem. I love the feeling of freedom with a warm breeze on bare arms and legs, but now is definitely not the time.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I've ridden in shorts only twice so far this year, prefer my 3/4 bib shorts even above 10C (as they offer some protection from the cold around the knees & tum), today I'm on undershorts and longs which has being the case much of this year.
With windchill still being a factor for me I'd rather have those areas covered as well as my upper arms. it's barely being above 14-15C more than a couple of days so far and almost equally to the shorts I've being wearing full fingered gloves for the most part though on a longer ride I will take a pair of std gloves in case it warms up.
ATEOTD you wear whatever feels best for you, on any given day that varies even for oneself with how we feel, the actual question itself of "when do the shorts come out" is irrelevent IF it was to find out 'when' is the right time.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I add water to the bike for even short journeys - bottle gets ice in it each morning....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

50odd miles up in the Watergate Bay/Newquay/Perranporth area yesterday.
Damned cold NW gale blowing. I was nearly blown over sideways on a couple of occasions. :shock:

Although I sweated a bit on the hills, I was glad of my LS top, base layer, and bib tights.

Shorts?
Good grief!
Even the surfer dudes were wandering round the town with hoodies up and tracksuit bottoms plus hands in pockets.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Mick F wrote:Even the surfer dudes were wandering round the town with hoodies up and tracksuit bottoms plus hands in pockets.

We have those in Bolton too...cept they tend to be drinking bottles of Newcastle Brown with a cig in one hand :lol:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
maff1977

Post by maff1977 »

shorts the last week in july maybe :oops: my knees and leg bones tend to ache with the slightest of chills. ronhill tracksters most other times plus merino long johns underneath if it's really chilly.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

When I find the safe place I put them in at the beginning of winter :D
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Out yesterday and toyed with the idea of just a thin sleeved base layer.......shorts and fingerless gloves of course.
BUT that wind...........on with the wind top but it did not last long (15 miles) and sweated all the way home (25 miles) when the sweat lands on my eyelashes I wont be covering up :)
15 C is always bare all but short sleeves and shorts.
Cycling is one of those sports where fast moving air cools you down, unlike walking 3.5 mph and running greater than 8 mph, you could well be putting in the same effort at 15 mph cycling.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Mistik-ka wrote:As soon as the snowdrifts are less than knee-high! (My best guess is the day after tomorrow 8) )

Right on schedule — the snowdrifts and the shorts! :D
(Oh yes: plus jacket, headscarf under helmet, and insulated gloves. :lol: )
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

Not till the daytime temperature is in double digits every single day for at least a fortnight!
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Its still a frost before 6 am , and with reynauds its full winter kit , i will be in full finger gloves till its well into double digits too .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."