so when do the shorts come out?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mig

so when do the shorts come out?

Post by mig »

each morning for the past six weeks or so on my ride to work i have seen at least one fellow cycle commuter wearing shorts (baggy or lycra) :shock: i have been clad in pretty much full winter kit - biblongs, hat, gloves, spd boots etc
whilst not being totally brass monkeys it has been drab, damp, chilly, grim etc at 7am during this time. this got me thinking - what are the 'rules' here for when your shorts come out to play?
jamesbradbury

Re: so when do the shorts come out?

Post by jamesbradbury »

For my ten min commute I wear work clothes which, for me, means jeans

For proper cycling ten degrees C or above means shorts. I've recently got some 3/4 length tights for those borderline days. They seem good down to about 5 deg, but it depends how hard I cycle. I've on idea why I don't feel the cold between my knee and ankle, but like to cover my face with a buff below 15 deg.
alant82

Post by alant82 »

Lovely morning here but temperature barely above freezing so it's still winter gear for me. If I'm lucky the shorts will get an airing in June. As Billy Connolly said "There are two seasons in Scotland: June and Winter."
Alan
ICE Sprint 26
Bacchetta Giro 26
pete75

Post by pete75 »

If you're a postman they never go away.....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
For me its above 5C shorts.
Below 5C three quarter longs.
It would have to be zero for full longs.
But unless the sun is out above 7C its cover the shoes with some windblock (gaiters / overshoes)

The cloud cover will chill the air at below 10C so add that to the mix.

It then depends how hard you cycle too, which is probably why I have only worn 3/4s twice or maybe three times through winter.
When cold and even wet, forcing the pace will have the desired effect.

I did have cold knees for a few minutes one morning even with 3/4s but that was downhill :) Icy too.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

When its warmer. i.e temperature adjusted for windchill factor is likely to be over 10 degrees. Many years ago when I commuted on a regular basis this meant I dressed for the morning ride and if necessary cooked a little on the homeward ride.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Been in shorts for my last half-dozen rides, but with knee-warmers.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Shorts and a "wind transparent" T shirt were the order of the day about ten day ago.

Been back in longs for a few days, but I'm now into "longs on the way to work, shorts on the way home". Windproof gilet as needed (and it was this morning)

Clear skies are good for afternoon temperatures, not so good for early morning...

Then again my deepest winter clothing this year was a long sleeved T-Shirt, windprrof ALDI gilet, and my slightly thicker longs
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

What mig noticed I've seen here too - there always seems to be one ostensibly-tough guy out in shorts in temperatures approaching zero. Dunno what those freezing purple-white-mottled legs are supposed to prove: tendinitis spares nobody.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Audax67 wrote:What mig noticed I've seen here too - there always seems to be one ostensibly-tough guy out in shorts in temperatures approaching zero. Dunno what those freezing purple-white-mottled legs are supposed to prove: tendinitis spares nobody.

That would be me-having worked in Finland I can tell you this country doesn't get cold. -10 I might consider for longs, but hardly seems worth it for commuting
borderghost

Post by borderghost »

My shorts came out on the first of march, my legs are my only good point, years of riding my bike mainly pulling a trailer with 2 children means I have a lot of leg muscle.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I am not so sure about good legs but if you keep your feet warm and go from the off like a bull out of a gate your warm up, well I do.
If I am sitting at home in the lounge at more than three times the outside temp, then I can feel cold.
If you work hard the heat will keep you comfortable down to a point.
If I were to stop on route then I will cool off, as all my rides are training :( then I always sweat.

The tip is to look at outside temp on your weather station (home gismo) then dress accordingly.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

I was lectured very strictly about this by my father, who grew up in the club culture of the 1920s/30s. Shorts were never to be worn before May, because of the risk of muscle damage. Of course naming a date is arbitrary, because of the variability of the seasons: but I've always stuck with the principle, and I still wince when I see riders in shorts in the middle of winter (of whom there seem to be an increasing number).
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

pete75 wrote:If you're a postman they never go away.....

What IS that all about?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mig

Post by mig »

Spinners wrote:
pete75 wrote:If you're a postman they never go away.....

What IS that all about?

apparently a nationwide phenomena.