It me or do SUVs alway drive to close

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
toomsie

It me or do SUVs alway drive to close

Post by toomsie »

It me or do SUVs always seem to drive to close. More then half of the cars that do so are 4x4.
I don't seem to have the same problem with minivans, which is strange I consider them more
or less the same type of car.
Mark1978

Re: It me or do SUVs alway drive to close

Post by Mark1978 »

Risk compensation?

There was also research out this week that the more expensive the car the less considerate the driver (well duh).
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

My experience is that many 4x4s overtake too close but also that quite a few hang back when there is plenty of clear overtaking space. Both probably due to an inability to accurately judge the width of their monster vehicles.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

My experience is that the lower the mpg the higher the less consideration given to cyclists. Main exception being "the school run".

So SUV's come quite bad when it comes to close passes and lack of consideration.

Ian
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

I tend to agree. Why not try a lollipop ?
Attachments
reduced_DSC03092__1426712163_82.11.96.38.jpg
Carl9070

Post by Carl9070 »

My experience is that all of 'em are out to kill me.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Not always. Often, but not always. Some of them I've found more considerate than car drivers.
But on average, like Audi and BMW drivers, I find that their standard of driving is worse than average.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Flinders wrote:Not always. Often, but not always. Some of them I've found more considerate than car drivers.
But on average, like Audi and BMW drivers, I find that their standard of driving is worse than average.

I agree,like the Nissan Qashqua(sp?) driver yesterday who decided they'd squirt me with washer fluid whilst simultaneously giving me the two fingered salute.
My crime?
Riding a bicycle in their presence,on a clear wide traffic free road.
There are some sad egotistical oinks driving cars,but there's a disproportion amount of them driving 4x4's* IME.

*I maybe right in thinking that a Qashqua isn't a 4x4 but it's firmly in the vehicle type/class.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

Was thinking just that this morning whilst also conversely noting how drivers if the smallest cars (eg Citroen c1s) seem to give you the most space.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

They do
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

reohn2 wrote:I agree,like the Nissan Qashqua(sp?) driver yesterday who decided they'd squirt me with washer fluid whilst simultaneously giving me the two fingered salute.

Had they have chucked some washer fluid over you in the street that would have been assault. But once they are in a vehicle they can get away with killing someone and everything else besides.
I should coco.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Round here the 4x4 drivers are ok. Mainly farmers who drive well. Horsey people who are used to pulling trailers with 'precious goods' are ok too. School run mums are the worst. VW Golf? Worse than Audi etc...b
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

IMHO the safer a driver feels the less care they take around others. I don't think it's an ego thing in most cases (although in some it undoubtedly is).
Back in the 1970s we had a saying about Volvos, who where at the forefront in safety features at the time.
'Volvos, safest cars, worst drivers'. & I believe in a very generalist fashion holds true today.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

I can't confidently say I notice a strong trend for any vehicle type. Confirmation bias is a very easy trap to fall into.
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

I've had two old biffers in SUVs come within millimeters of knocking me off. The last one I stopped him in a supermarket car park and challenged him over his behavior 'I didn't see you' and me lit up like a Christmas tree :( I think maybe people in these tall vehicles think that they are invulnerable to the rules of the road.