Bristol-Bath Cycle Path

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Heltor Chasca

Bristol-Bath Cycle Path

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Does anyone on here use this regularly or been on it recently?

I'm trying to find out if it is 'back to normal' after the landscaping work that shut off a section near Bristol?

Many thanks...b
rjb

Re: Bristol-Bath Cycle Path

Post by rjb »

Sorry to hijack this thread Blair but i promised my oth a day out in bath. I fancy taking our folding shopper bikes and riding through the 2 tunnels. Any advice on where to park would be appreciated. I havent used the bristol bath path for a few years. In the past i managed to ride from bridgwater to bristol then along the cycle path to bath then home in the day. A bit too far for me now unless i use my bus pass as well. :roll:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Heltor Chasca

Bristol-Bath Cycle Path

Post by Heltor Chasca »

No probs. I'm the guiltiest sinner when it comes to thread hijack. I would park outside the Hope & Anchor in Midford for the shortest route to the 2 Tunnels. A little bit further? Park near Wellow Trekking Centre. They do teas etc. I'm not sure where you'll be travelling from but this is about the right distance for my daughters. When I'm riding solo I go right from home. The 2 tunnels is one of my favourite rides. Stop and cast your eyes over Lyncombe Vale...b

EDIT: Forgot to add that the Wellow-Midford section is open every day until the shoot season opens in October when they publicise the alternative route days. Usually alternate Saturday's, Boxing Day etc.

EDIT II: Take lights for the tunnel.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I can't find anything on the Bristol end but Staplehill tunnel is closed until end of March: http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/rout ... -bath-path
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Thank you both. It was the Staple Hill section. Cheers.

I fancy a bimble off to Warmley or Bitton tomorrow. A 40 mile round trip. That'll clear the cobwebs........b
rjb

Post by rjb »

Thanks, guys. I will be coming from the south so Midford sounds good and thanks for the tip about lights - i had entirely overlooked this one. I know some tunnels are lit but if its like the strawberry line then they leave a lot to be desired. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

rjb wrote:Thanks, guys. I will be coming from the south so Midford sounds good and thanks for the tip about lights - i had entirely overlooked this one. I know some tunnels are lit but if its like the strawberry line then they leave a lot to be desired. :D

Enjoy! I'm going through tomorrow on the way via Bath to Warmley for a cuppa. Although the tunnel is probably light enough there are the usual minority numpties. Ramblers and runners are great but there are some dumb cyclists and dog walkers who think it's fine to take their hounds off the lead. I do lots of whistling and bell ringing. Sounds great with the piped music. (For months I thought there were underground recording studios!)
Rich_S

Post by Rich_S »

I used the path about 2 weeks ago. The diversion is quite clearly sign posted - so you should be fine either way.
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

Lighting in the tunnels is quite adequate. Rather than lights,take eye-shades and dark glasses to protect you from all those who consider it essential to ride through them with ridiculously bright and/ or flashing lights. <grump off>
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

recumbentpanda wrote:Lighting in the tunnels is quite adequate. Rather than lights,take eye-shades and dark glasses to protect you from all those who consider it essential to ride through them with ridiculously bright and/ or flashing lights. <grump off>

Very good! :lol:

I've just come back from a 40 miler today from where I live in Somerset, along the Collier's Way, through the 2 Tunnels and along the Bristol-Bath cycle path (and back home). It was pretty overcast, cool, but a great day for a bimble. The tea at the cafe at Warmley was the best. Vic sponge not too shabby either. Bacon roll? Lovely. Had a good chat to 2 chaps out on their e-bikes. Very interesting bikes. BIKES I said. That's what they called them and I agree. They have to keep pedaling ALL the time which was a surprise. You have to change settings to free-wheel. I tell you, I'm not discounting them for when I'm too old and broken to ride my Surly. But that's at least 30 years away so I'm not going to partake in any purist vs e-bike debate. OK?

The only muppets out today were cyclists in the tunnel. A shame really. Flying through the tunnels without lights. It's REALLY difficult to see them if they are going at pace or to hear them if they've got decent drive-trains. There were also two ramblers walking on the wrong side but I'm not going to moan about that because chances are they would have been run down by now and I'll just feel guilty be-moaning the deceased.

The new track between Wellow and Midford is in good shape seeing as we are out the other side of winter and the shoot season (game-keeper's vehicles driving up and down). The lane below the long barrow at Stoney Littleton has drained and is nice and dry. All in all things are shaping up for a good season :D