Didn't know cyclists could be fined for speeding!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
nathb

Didn't know cyclists could be fined for speeding!

Post by nathb »

I genuinely didn't know cyclists could be fined for speeding!

The road in question is a 20mph road in Richmond park, where I cycle regularly. They had lasers out the other day, however I assumed this was for cars....

The guy was caught at 41mph and was fined £65, issued a surcharge of £20 and £65 costs - total of £150!

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/s ... 99781.html
Mark1978

Re: Didn't know cyclists could be fined for speeding!

Post by Mark1978 »

They can't for the most part. Except in the Royal Parks. Even though there was an article a while ago claiming they didn't have the right?
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Richmond park (and the other Royal parks I believe) are subject to special by-laws including one which imposes a speed limit on cyclists. This is not the case on ordinary public roads. So the Park authorities are perfectly within their rights in prosecuting the cyclist for speeding. Whether a cyclist could have a defence in that it is not mandatory to carry a computer or similar, so a cyclist may not know what speed they are doing - well that's debatable. Probably one for the legal experts!

All I know is, I've done a few rides in RP and I've been warned about this. Not that I'm the most likely person to break the speed limit!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
gaz

Post by gaz »

Older thread with links to even earlier ones discussing ambiguities in the wordings of the bye-laws.

I'd guess it remains untested in a courtroom.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

gaz wrote:I'd guess it remains untested in a courtroom.
If it was tested, it wouldn't stand up.
There isn't a speed limit for running.
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

I do not know whether Rory Palmer received any legal advice before choosing to enter a guilty plea.
sean65

Post by sean65 »

Bike aren't required by law to have speedometers so how can they enforce this. Any lawyer worth his salt would have that thrown out.
gaz

Post by gaz »

By a similar logic "I put it to you m'lud that my client cannot be guilty of drink driving, as his car is not fitted with any device for measuring the alcohol content of his body" :wink:

I missed linking a more recent thread suggesting it's not just Royal Parks where cyclists may face enforceable speed limits.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, Gaz, that's common sense and a good analogy.

The thing is, if a cyclist was going "fast" he and everyone else would know and it would be obvious that he was breaking the rules.

However, if there's a 5mph speed limit and the cyclist is doing 6 or 7mph (especially that people can speed walk that fast), he'd be breaking the rules, but who would notice other than someone with a radar gun? Ditto, if someone had a pint and drove a car, who would notice other than someone with a breathalyser?
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

i thought u could be done for cycling furiously or some such on public roads
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Dangerous d icing even, but cycling fast isn't significantly dangerous

Similarly drunk driving applies, but the numerical limits only apply to motor vehicles. You have to not be able to control your bike (and frankly that's generally self limiting)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Just be careful what you get up to, illegal use of camera tripod.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... he-law-won
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote:i thought u could be done for cycling furiously or some such on public roads
Cycling furiously is just that, cycling furiously.

Cycling fast isn't a crime, but breaking the speed limit in a royal park is against the rules. No doubt you could have a very low gear ratio and be cycling very furiously indeed but still within the speed limit. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
nathb

Post by nathb »

Mick F wrote:
mercalia wrote:i thought u could be done for cycling furiously or some such on public roads
Cycling furiously is just that, cycling furiously.

Cycling fast isn't a crime, but breaking the speed limit in a royal park is against the rules. No doubt you could have a very low gear ratio and be cycling very furiously indeed but still within the speed limit. :lol:

I think someone also got fined/ told off by an officer for wobbling too much while going up hill :lol:

I'm also thinking the guy in the article was overtaking cars, who have speedos and should be doing 20mph. So if he is overtaking then he's asking for trouble.

For future rides; I'm going to stop overtaking cars and instead sit behind them to rest my legs :lol: